PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Make These B4

mike klein
09-22-2007, 9:08 PM
New project were looking at and just wanted to see if anyone had some quick tips for laying these out, as far as all the little lines. Thought maybe there would be a Corel script that would do it for you automatically. The line spacing will change depending on the dial increments.

Some will be 0-100, some will be 50-100, and some will be 1-10

http://precngraving.com/roundplate.jpg
(http://www.precngraving.com/roundplate.jpg)

Gary Gilbert
09-22-2007, 9:18 PM
i know how to do it in adobe illustrator. . .

mike klein
09-22-2007, 9:21 PM
I've got Illustrator CS2 but never really got into using it to heavily. If it's fairly simple I could probably figure it out, if not I'll toy around with Corel

Mike

Mitchell Andrus
09-22-2007, 10:19 PM
I'd start by drawing concentric rings. Draw a long horizontal line and copy/rotate by x degrees as many times as nes. to go around the 'clock'. Trim the extra away and your done. This should take less than five minutes. The numbers are about as easy.

I made a mess of clock faces this way in MS Publisher about 15 years ago. They're still in use on a regular basis.

Darren Null
09-22-2007, 11:02 PM
Alternatively, I've got the first part:
2 lines of text:

1) 0 10 20 30 etc
2) ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| etc. I've done it with bold because it's easier with the board code, but you can use a larger font size or a different symbol. The vertical line is the 'pipe' symbol.

Stretch the numbers or add spaces to make it fit the markings.

Then there's a way of bending the text around in a circle, but it's been a while since I really used Corel and I can't find it now. It's fit text to path or align to baseline or something like that, if memory serves; which it obviously doesn't.

mike klein
09-22-2007, 11:18 PM
I found a site on the net which has a corel script (Fit objects to path) that will do just what I want. Not free but well worth it..

oberonplace.com

Mike

Craig Hogarth
09-23-2007, 12:13 AM
Here's a clock face I made to put photos onto clocks.

Basically, it's a lot of lower case L and I's in arial font. I fit text to path and remove dots once in curves.

BTW, I found it easier to do the single digits separate from the double digits when fitting text to curve.

Clocks come out great on using a clear acrylic face with colored acrylic behind it.

David L Shaw
09-23-2007, 3:01 AM
Here is a sample I just drew using Xara Extreme (Similar to Corel) and exported as a jpg. The whole thing took about 15 minutes. It uses fit text to path for the lines and numbers. Added a knob and backplate for fun.
Dave

Frank Corker
09-23-2007, 4:55 AM
Wow Dave, good example!

Darren Null
09-23-2007, 11:25 AM
Fit text to path! That's the bunny! It was greyed out in my corel, probably due to my incompetence in making a path for it to fit.

Excellent work David.

Gary Hair
09-23-2007, 12:07 PM
An even easier way would be to use Turbocad or Autocad. Draw the first segment and use the Array command - takes about 10 seconds. You can export this into Corel and finish the rest.

Gary

Bill Cunningham
09-23-2007, 9:59 PM
If there is any font availble that will make the marks, just make as many as you need, make a circle the size you want, fit the 'text' to the path (circle) then click the node tool, and stretch the 'text' to the limit you want in the circle

This is in ver 8 (the only thing I have on the house computer) but gives you the idea..
It's in raw cdr, and in curves incase loading it in a later version shifts the text around