PDA

View Full Version : please tell me i didnt mess up my cast iron

nick brigg
09-22-2007, 8:28 PM
i've been spraying Jig-a-Loo on all my cast iron surfaces and made damn sure to read the label that there was no silicone in it. now i just read, "jig-a-loo is a SILICONE based lubricant". should i be worried and scrape this crap off my saw or or is it fine??

Gary Keedwell
09-22-2007, 8:31 PM
Looks like ya got some cleaning to do.;)
GK

nick brigg
09-22-2007, 8:42 PM
DAMNIT!!!!

mineral spirits and some steel wool?

Todd Kinsfather
09-22-2007, 8:53 PM
DAMNIT!!!!

mineral spirits and some steel wool?
Or WD40 and scothbrite pads. I prefer it to the steel wool which if any is left behind will cause rust on your top. Your call.

Jeffrey Makiel
09-22-2007, 9:44 PM
I've used silicone base products many years ago. Never had a problem with finishing my pieces. However, I don't use any silicone now nor do I recommend it. Why take a chance? Plain ol' fashion Butcher Wax now.

-Jeff :)

Dave Lehnert
09-22-2007, 9:55 PM
Or WD40 and scothbrite pads. I prefer it to the steel wool which if any is left behind will cause rust on your top. Your call.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I think WD40 also has silicone in it.

Alex Carrera
09-22-2007, 10:24 PM
Nope, no silicon in wd40

nick brigg
09-23-2007, 3:33 AM
im pretty pissed off that no where on the can does it say silicone, it even advertises to use on table saws. i KNOW silicone is a no-no, but damn come on. the only reason i found out was i found an old can of jig-a-loo and it says on the can silicone based. ARRGHGHHHHHHGHGHGHHH!!! i feel so stupid!

Don Bullock
09-23-2007, 8:18 AM
i've been spraying Jig-a-Loo on all my cast iron surfaces and made damn sure to read the label that there was no silicone in it. now i just read, "jig-a-loo is a SILICONE based lubricant". should i be worried and scrape this crap off my saw or or is it fine??

You're right!! Here's a quote from an article on it:

Jig-A-Loo is a silicone-based lubricant that can be used to lube just about anything that you might lube with WD-40.

But, on their website they do not mention silicone. I find that very interesting. They also state on their website that all applications listed there come from consumers and they aren't responsible for their accuracy.:eek: