PDA

View Full Version : Here's a Good One...

Mark Koenig
09-22-2007, 6:26 PM
How many of you get this crap??? Like I would really fall for this... :mad:

Hi Dear
Am mailing in needing of some of your items , I will like to let you know that I am interested in ordering some items from your store and will like to know if you do accept money order as method of payment because right now am not in the state .To make it easy i have my personal shipping company to pick the items from your store. So I will be paying with a Money Order and would like to know the website address that i can pick up items and i will get back to you with my list . Thank You and hope to hear back from you.
Regards. Mr Santos

Joe Pelonio
09-22-2007, 6:28 PM
I get a few scammers a week, this one seems to have a better grasp of the English language than most of the ones I get. Virtually ALL of them are from
yahoo or hotmail (free) email addresses.

Darren Null
09-22-2007, 6:31 PM
I love the ones that tell me I've won a grillion pounds from (MD of impressive sounding company plc) with a hotmail address. Always cheers me up.

EDIT: Scamming the scammers is an internet sport now:
http://www.ebolamonkeyman.com/
http://www.419eater.com/

Jim Dornon
09-22-2007, 7:10 PM
Don't know if anyone here is using ebay, but I received an email claiming they were ebay and that my account was suspended for unpaid fees. Once you click on the (click here to fix) it redirects you to put in your name and pass word. Checked with ebay and it was a scam. Just letting everyone know know. :D

Darren Null
09-22-2007, 7:43 PM
^
|
|
Same applies to emails from banks. I've had the same domain since 1995, so I get to see a lot of spam (up to 3000/day). 3 rules:

1) If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.
2) No professional organisation is going to send you an email requesting that you update your details.
3) Believe it when you're holding the cash. And check the notes even then.

Bill Cunningham
09-23-2007, 9:30 PM
Phoney money orders are as common as dirt, the other scam some dimwits fall for the the over payment scam.. They tell you in 'error' they have sent a money order for a few hundred more that what the quote was, and they 'trust' you to send them a reciprocal M.O. for the overpayment amount.. The problem here, is that 'your' money order is good... Scammers 'can' be entertaining if you have the time to string them along from 'your' hotmail address..

Brian Robison
09-24-2007, 8:37 AM
I forward any spam to spam@uce.gov
(open the header bar first)
I also look a snopes.com to check the validity of
internet stuff.

Barbara Buhse
09-24-2007, 12:35 PM
My part time job is in a bank... I can tell you we see so many people fall for silly scams. Just so everyone knows... JUST BECAUSE A CHECK OR MONEY ORDER HAS "CLEARED" DOES NOT MEAN IT IS LEGIT. The banks clear as courtesy in a few days. once the fed clearinghouse gets it, they can send it back if its no good, and the bank will go get the money out of your account, even though they released the funds to you previously.

if you are accepting any kind of paper payment (money orders, personal checks, even bank and tellers checks) best to give it THREE WEEKS before beleiving its good.

Todd Fulton
09-24-2007, 3:17 PM
We get calls from the TTY Operator all the time. It's usually someone wanting to buy Thousands of $$$ of audio equipment and pay for it with a credit card. Have it shipped to another country.

I worked at another store that went through with the transaction, shipped the products DHL to Nigeria, 2 weeks later Visa took the money out of the account because it was stolen credit card. $24,000.00 down the drain! That was a huge cut into the business savings.

We also get teenagers trying to pass their parent's credit cards. You should see their faces when we call their parents to O.K. the purchase. Most run out the store.

When I was a Teen, I never had the guts to try something like that. I know too well what a switch to the legs feels like.

Gary Hair
09-24-2007, 5:55 PM
I know too well what a switch to the legs feels like.

Try that today and you get thrown in jail... Abuse is abuse, but sometimes kids need something to teach them a lesson - life has consequences!

Gary

glenn bradley
09-24-2007, 6:30 PM
About half of my job as a network engineer is helping folks develop security policies so I see a lot of 'stuff'. It really bothers me to see some of the things folks fall for. This has nothing to do with not being computer savvy. These folks would open their wallet if these sleaze-bags came to the door. It truly is sad that folks fall victim to these scams. The proliferation of scammers makes it too obvious that there are a large number of people who will fall for these things.

Bill Cunningham
09-25-2007, 7:50 PM
We get calls from the TTY Operator all the time. It's usually someone wanting to buy Thousands of $$$ of audio equipment and pay for it with a credit card. Have it shipped to another country.

I worked at another store that went through with the transaction, shipped the products DHL to Nigeria, 2 weeks later Visa took the money out of the account because it was stolen credit card. $24,000.00 down the drain! That was a huge cut into the business savings.

One of my wholesale customers has a customer that fell for that.. The scammer made a small order first, and paid for it.. About 6 mo. later he came back with a 35,000.00 order for electronics, to be shipped to his address in Singapore.. The stuff went out, and the 'scammer/customer' said he neither ordered it, or received it.. The 35k chargeback 'almost' put him out of business..

They say Education is expensive..ha.. Try Ignorance!!