PDA

View Full Version : removing plastic cover off plexiglass

John Wibbenmeyer
09-22-2007, 4:05 PM
how can a person remove the plastic covering off plexiglass? I have an older piece thats still good and the plastic overwrap has stuck to it and Im havin a heck of a time trying to remove it.

Gary Keedwell
09-22-2007, 4:12 PM
I don't have that much experience with that sort of thing but maybe a heat gun or hair drier might help.:)
Gary K.

Ed Peters
09-22-2007, 4:24 PM
in the sun for 30 to 40 minutes. Should be adequate heat gain to loosen the adhesive.

Ed

John Wibbenmeyer
09-22-2007, 5:39 PM
I been letting it soak in a tub of hot water Thanks for the help

Dale Lesak
09-22-2007, 9:36 PM
On larger sheets, I poke a small hole in the cover and use air pressure to bubble it up. If it has been sitting in the sun you may not get it off, I work with it a lot for replacing windows and you want to remove it (Protective covering) as soon as you have the window installed. Some come with a craft paper over plastic wrap and sticks a little better I think that most of the covering is held on by static cling

Mark Hubler
09-23-2007, 3:47 PM
Sticker removing fluid worked for me. I use De-solv-it, orange based, available at Wal-mart and other stores.

Mike Hood
09-23-2007, 4:36 PM
Another trick I've used when the paper is coming apart is to add a layer of duct tape over the paper. It gives it the strength to pull away in whole sheets.

John Wibbenmeyer
09-26-2007, 3:28 PM
Thanks for all the help . Aftr I tried to scrub some of it off earlier with a non-scratch pad. I found out I have scratched it. SO long story short I just went and bought another sheet. LOL I'd been less expensive if I'd bought one. Hope my brothers lookin down and finally seein the stuff I did for him!!;)