PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions

rocky brown
09-22-2007, 11:58 AM
a) will i ruin my sawblade if i cut a couple of small pieces of aluminum with it?

2) my biesemeyer fence is becoming progressively harder to slide- what should i grease the rail with?

thanks!

rb

glenn bradley
09-22-2007, 12:09 PM
a) will i ruin my sawblade if i cut a couple of small pieces of aluminum with it?

2) my biesemeyer fence is becoming progressively harder to slide- what should i grease the rail with?

thanks!

rb

Many folks here cut aluminum with their carbide blades. I have not done so yet but I don't think I'd hesitate from the advice given here.

Your Bies rails should be waxed WEEKLY. Primarily the bare steel machined area on the front rail. I use Johnson's Paste Wax. Slides like a dream. Wax the top of your saw while you're at it. I do that monthly; never seen a lick of rust.

keith ouellette
09-22-2007, 12:47 PM
I would use a fine blade like one for ply wood.

scott spencer
09-22-2007, 1:18 PM
It can't be great for keeping a blade sharp so wouldn't use an expensive blade to cut aluminum, but it'll work.

Glenn pointed out that Biese recommends a weekly waxing...admittedly, I do it more "periodically". :D

Bruce Benjamin
09-22-2007, 2:39 PM
Bear grease is supposed to be very effective but whale oil is supposed to be even better if you can get it. :rolleyes:

Bruce

Roger Newby
09-22-2007, 3:00 PM
Wear ear plugs or muffs, you're going to get a bunch of noise from the aluminum.

Bruce Benjamin
09-22-2007, 3:59 PM
Wear ear plugs or muffs, you're going to get a bunch of noise from the aluminum.

If you want to keep from damaging your hearing you'll wear some sort of hearing protection no matter what you're cutting.

Bruce

Gary Keedwell
09-22-2007, 4:35 PM
If you want to keep from damaging your hearing you'll wear some sort of hearing protection no matter what you're cutting.

Bruce
In the spirit of your previous post....do I need to wear it when I cut up some cheese:confused:
Gary K.

Bruce Benjamin
09-22-2007, 4:41 PM
In the spirit of your previous post....do I need to wear it when I cut up some cheese:confused:
Gary K.

Uh, I don't know? How loud are you when you cut the cheese?:confused:

Bruce

rocky brown
09-22-2007, 6:01 PM
thanks for the input, guys. turns out i don't need to cut the aluminum but it's nice to know for future reference. i got some paste wax for the table top and rail today so i'm good to go:)

thanks again,
rb

Roy Hatch
09-22-2007, 6:21 PM
Rocky, When I first started woodworking, I cut the top of a formica kitchen table trimmed with aluminum to make something for my shop. The blade suffered no ill effect. This is not to say that all aluminum is created equal. I would not be surprised if some alloys are much harder than others.

Roy