PDA

View Full Version : DC ducting - elbow grease?

Mike Pierson
09-22-2007, 11:49 AM
OK - I am starting my ducting install to my super gorilla - what is the secret to twisting the 90 degree elbows? (ductwork is from oneida).

the directions make is sound so easy...does it just come down to patience, finesse, and "elbow grease"?

glenn bradley
09-22-2007, 12:11 PM
Not clear on your question. Twisting as in getting it into position at the right angle?

Mike Pierson
09-22-2007, 12:31 PM
the elbows I have are the 0-90degree from oneida - I need to twist the various sections to get the correct bend coming out of the wye, but struggling to get the various section to twist/move to create a <90degree bend in the elbow.

Clay Crocker
09-22-2007, 12:49 PM
I went through the same experience when I ran my DC ducting. Some elbows were worse than others; some joints in the same elbow were worse than others. I did find that if I held one end of an elbow and then knocked the oposite end flat against a piece of wood on my workbench that I could get some joints to loosen up a bit. Mostly it took a lot of "elbow grease" and "finesse".

Clay

glenn bradley
09-22-2007, 1:37 PM
the elbows I have are the 0-90degree from oneida - I need to twist the various sections to get the correct bend coming out of the wye, but struggling to get the various section to twist/move to create a <90degree bend in the elbow.

Ah, now I'm with you and Clay has the method. Wear heavy gloves; avoids surprises.

Jim Becker
09-22-2007, 3:00 PM
Some of them are indeed "tight" from the manufacturer...it just takes a bit of time and gentle persuasion...and wear gloves. The edges can be quite sharp when you're working on them hard like this.

Fred Voorhees
09-22-2007, 5:01 PM
Mike, I had the same situation. Here is what I did and it worked pretty good. I got a large pair of dishwashing gloves. Put them on and try to twist the elbows into the position you would like. It worked for me pretty good. The gloves really grip the metal of the elbows. Try it. Trust me,this IS your answer.

Randy Denby
09-22-2007, 7:18 PM
rubber gloves and wd-40 on the seams..... also, the oenida 90's are pretty substantial metal, so you shouldnt have an problems, but the regular light weight HVAC 90's can be busted fairly easily so be careful.

Steve Kohn
09-22-2007, 7:19 PM
I had one elbow that no matter what I tried I couldn't get it to move. Finally I took a strap wrench and looped it around the section that was stuck and it moved easily.

It all has to do with leverage.

Jim Becker
09-22-2007, 8:04 PM
I had one elbow that no matter what I tried I couldn't get it to move. Finally I took a strap wrench and looped it around the section that was stuck and it moved easily.

It all has to do with leverage.

Now there's an excellent idea and reminder! Thanks, Steve!

Steven Wilson
09-23-2007, 2:33 AM
I'll second the strap wrench and I used some 3in1 oil to loosen some of the joints up

Ben Grunow
09-23-2007, 8:00 PM
I have seen duct guys screw a short piece of duct work to a bench and screw the elbow to be adjusted to it so they can work with both hands. Then unscrew and install (zip screws-holes to be caulked or foil taped)

Josiah Bartlett
09-23-2007, 9:25 PM
Usually if they are hard to move, they've been squished to oval shape. Make them round again and they should be fine.