PDA

View Full Version : Teak oil

ryan kelley
09-22-2007, 11:42 AM
What is the difference between "danish oil" and teak oil? Also can you thin teak oil?, if so with what. And lastly will teak oil tint the wood. I ask this because the Hf I just turned is a light wood(not sure what it is, free) and the teak oil would be much easier to get rather than travel across town to get danish oil.

Hilel Salomon
09-23-2007, 9:00 AM
I've used teak oil on cherry and maple with excellent results but generally, I reserve it for use with very oily wood such as Bolivian rosewood. The other oils don't work well on such woods.
Luck, Hilel

Jim Becker
09-23-2007, 10:05 AM
The nice December 2007 issue of Woodwork magazine has an excellent article on all the so-called wiping finishes. You may find it useful.

"Danish oil", by the way, is merely an oil/varnish mixture that results in a soft look. (and a some what soft finish) A wiping varnish doesn't have the extra oil mixed in and dries to full hardness. You can tell the difference by putting a drop on a piece of glass or metal and letting it sit over night. If it remains a "clear puddle" when it cures, it's a wiping varnish. If it crazes up a bit, it's an oil/varnish mixture.

Steve Schoene
09-23-2007, 4:45 PM
Most teak oils--such as Watco or Behlen are oil/varnish mixes which will perform essentially the same as Danish oil which also is usually an oil/varnish mix. Watco teak oil claims UV protection but that's pretty minimal. Behlen's doesn't make that UV claim.