PDA

View Full Version : Cross-Slide Vise

Scott Hayes
09-22-2007, 10:28 AM
I'm looking for quality in a 4" or 5 " cross-slide vise for my drill press. Amazon reviews of many products are poor. USA made would be nice...

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-22-2007, 11:38 AM
I'm looking for quality in a 4" or 5 " cross-slide vise for my drill press. Amazon reviews of many products are poor. USA made would be nice...

Grizz sells a rather nice little X-Y milling table on which you can mount a vice or fixtures.

Carl Crout
09-22-2007, 12:05 PM
Don't buy the HF. It's junk. Not milled smoothly. To get it to move you have to unloosen the setscrews then it has to much slop in it.

JUNK.................:( :( :(

Chris Stolicky
04-16-2012, 9:43 PM
I thought that I might revive this old thread. I'm doing some searching on what would be a quality cross-slide vise for a drill press. I am actually going to be using it more for metal drilling than woodworking. Any suggestions/experiences with these? I'm looking for decent quality, at least 4" jaw width, but not more than 6". I would prefer to keep it under $200. If its $30 and its great, that would be fine too!

My other option would be to grab the phaseII cross-slide table from Enco at $125 (sale right now) and simply mount my current drill press vise to it. It seems to be a little more cumbersome if I went this route.

Thanks.

Jerome Hanby
04-17-2012, 8:53 AM
I think this is another one of those HF items that all depends on the particular unit you get. I've got one and it works fine. Sounds like you may have to go through a few to get a "good" one.

Don't buy the HF. It's junk. Not milled smoothly. To get it to move you have to unloosen the setscrews then it has to much slop in it.

JUNK.................:( :( :(

Joe Spear
04-17-2012, 8:55 AM
My HF vise on my mortiser is also just fine.