PDA

View Full Version : Sorby ring end grain tool

Paul Engle
09-22-2007, 9:38 AM
Anybody had a chance to use the 1/2 or 1 in Sorby style ring tool for end grain work? I have a chance to get one for a good price but was un sure if it worked that good or if sharpening was a problem.I have some limbs to do endgrain work for boxs and bells, any input would be welcomed. Thanks.

Bernie Weishapl
09-22-2007, 11:22 AM
Are you talking of the Termite tool? If so I have one and like it. It has a bit of a learning curve to it. To sharpen a router is needed. I bought a cheap C-man that is setup just for that. It comes with it's own jig for sharpening.

Paul Engle
09-22-2007, 11:28 PM
Thanks Bernie,it is the Sorby version , no sharpening tool for it , says to use a slip stone to hone the outer edge but in the same spot. as it is brazed to the shaft so you end up having to use the same spot to turn with . I dont think i will get it , I like the looks of the Hunter as it can be turned and replaced ..my concern there is cloging up.. cost is more but user friendlier.

Mitchell Cholewinski
09-23-2007, 1:21 AM
I think, no as a matter of fact I know, your making a mistake Paul if you don't get the termite tool. It's a great tool and not bad at all to learn to use. Leaves an excellent surface on your turning. If your into boxes, it will be an excellent choice for making them, boxes are usually small and with this tool it will be a piece of cake. Mitch

Gordon Seto
09-23-2007, 1:24 AM
Paul,

The Hunter and Eliminator do not clog. They don't have any guard. You only have to rotate the disk about 45° to get a shear cut. There is almost no learning curve, you have to work hard to get a catch.

Gordon

Colin MacDiarmid
09-23-2007, 5:22 AM
I have the 1/2" ring tool it is tricky to learn to use but once you get the hang of it you can get the end grain wood coming off in fine streamers, it also can clog up sometimes but take it out and a gently tap and your ready to go again.

Gordon Seto
09-23-2007, 8:26 AM
I agree Termite leaves a good finish on end grain. There is no reason to switch. But for those who want to add a tool for end grain hollowing, it worths to look into one of the new carbide disk tools like Hunter or Eliminator.
No learning curve, doesn't clog, no sharpening and a new disk is under $20.

John Lucas, the technical editor of AAW Journal has done some comparison between Hunter, Termite, hook tool and spindle gouge hollowing. He has posted the results with side by side pictures in another Forum. He reported that the finish from Hunter is the best of the 4. He could start sanding at 180 or 220.

Ruff Fairfield reported that he has used his Hunter for 40 boxes; he hasn't needed to rotate the cutter to a fresh section yet. This new kind of carbide is very durable.

I just got mine at our last Club meeting at Rockler. Rockler gave a generous 25% discount at our last meeting.

I played with it, it leaves very nice surface on end grain. It has fine curly shaving; it is a cutting action. I didn't try it on the exterior of spindle. There is no clearance to do any detail because the shape of the cutter. A gouge or a skew is a better choice.

Gordon

Paul Engle
09-23-2007, 10:33 AM
Thanks to all on your replies, I think I will forego the sorby and get the Hunter first.I read some stuff on the Termite and like it also and may add it later on.

Mike Minto
06-22-2009, 6:58 PM
Paul, i have the 1" SORBY ring tool on order from The Best Things; should be here tomorrow (the one you asked about in your post, wayyy back in '07). I have alot of end grain pieces of wood to turn in to open bowls and hollow forms - after i get to use it for a while, i'll post how it performed in my hands. mike

David Drickhamer
06-23-2009, 12:21 AM
I have the Sorby tool and don't care for it so I got a Hunter tool and love it. I've been using it for about a year and haven't had to rotate the cutter yet.
I've never used the Termite tool but have seen it used and think it would also be a good choice.
Dave