PDA

View Full Version : first handcut dovetails

gary Zimmel
09-21-2007, 10:23 PM
Took a course put on by Rob Cosman late this summer and finally was able to try what I learnt on a real project. With Robs coaching I learnt more in a week than I could ever believe. It was a 5 day class and we were in the shop at 6:30 in the morning and went till at least 9:00 at night. Can't wait until next year to take at least 2 more courses put on by him.

Just about finished these two mission style end tables. A few more topcoats and they are ready for the living room.

The drawers took a lot longer than I would admit, but the satisfaction of doing it by hand is well worth it.

Next time I have to be a little more careful on the lay out so I don't leave as visable of a line with my titemark.

Teresa Jones
09-21-2007, 10:27 PM
Nice work, Gary.

I haven't mastered dovetails but you are certainly there. I've heard a lot of good things about Rob.

Congratulations on the tables - beautiful.

TJ

Jim Dunn
09-21-2007, 10:47 PM
I quit!!!! Ok, you went to school, I feel better now:)

Zahid Naqvi
09-22-2007, 12:56 AM
Looking at your work you certainly got your money's worth out of the class. Nice work.

Mark Stutz
09-22-2007, 1:33 AM
Great job on the table. Even better on the half blinds...looks like you've been doing this for years! You probably had a good teacher:D (I really like his DVDs) but it was still the student doing the execution. Great job.

Mark

David Tiell
09-22-2007, 8:32 AM
If those are your first hand-cut dovetails, you didn't leave your self any room for improvement in your technique in the future! Beautiful job!

Ralph Barhorst
09-22-2007, 9:30 AM
Gary, I really like your finish. What did you use?

Robert Trotter
09-22-2007, 11:02 AM
NIce work Gary. Your first you say? Humm...Really? ;) They look very good.

Now...Since you went to school and ...Since you bought it up...Can you enlighten me...Why scribe the line fully across the wood for the layout with the titemark? I can see that it makes it easy that way but...

Why not just mark the locations of the waste and have a no line at all when the jint is finished. Lots of books and tutorials on line seem to say to scribe the line all the way across, too.

Rob

gary Zimmel
09-22-2007, 12:27 PM
Ralph.
I used Varathane wood stain ( american Walnut ) and the topcoat was Minwax wipe on poly.

Robert.
The scribe line is done first so you don't know exactly where the waste will be. My error was making it to deep. It realy should disapear when the joint is cleaned up. I didn't want to keep planing it down and screw up my gaps when the drawer is closed. (live and learn)
Sorry your right it wasn't my first. It was the first in a finished drawer, # 2 and #3. The first on is on Robs website, he used a couple of the students dovetails to add to his site. all we did was follow his instructions and "cut to the line"

Mark Singer
09-22-2007, 1:19 PM
those are excellent! You are a great student!

Michael Handrinos
09-22-2007, 3:40 PM
Hey Gary!!

How the hell are you? Nice looking joints you got there. I've been practising mine about once aweek. They are alot better then I was in Calgary.

Well done on the tables. I like "em

Mike