PDA

View Full Version : Cast Iron Top Coat

Tommy Squires
09-21-2007, 5:08 PM
I recently purchased several pieces from MiniMax and had a bit of trouble with the saw/shaper that one of their service people is helping with (can't say enough good about the sales and service people at MM). The service person works for SCM and sets up big industrial equipment routinely. He recommended a product to use on the top of my cast iron surfaces that he called Sanduro Top Coat. I may have the spelling wrong but I am looking for the product. So far my internet searchs have not turned up a lead. Has anyone heard of this? I have always used paste wax but are there better products?

Phil Harding
09-21-2007, 7:10 PM
Could it be a product called The Complete TopSaver System made by Empire Manufacturing (www.empiremfg.com (http://www.empiremfg.com)). It's packaging describes it as a 'Rust Remover/Lubricant Surface Sealant/Conditioner'.

I don't have a lot of experience with it but I've used it a few times on my cabinet saw, planer and jointer and I would say it works well for removing light rust and leaving a protective film.

-- Phil

Jim Becker
09-21-2007, 7:52 PM
I just use paste wax on my cast iron surfaces, including all three of my Mini Max machines. I re-apply a few times a year and have never had rust on these machines or the Jet products that preceded them. Any good paste wax, such as SC Johnson Wax will do a good job. (No auto wax...many of them have silicone in them and you don't want even a spec of that in your shop or you'll risk potential finishing problems)

Joe Spear
09-21-2007, 8:53 PM
There is a product called Bostik Top-Cote. I have tried it but prefer the Empire
Topsaver. I also give the iron a coat of wax: MinWax paste wax, Butcher's paste wax, Johnson's paste wax, Renaissance Wax, it really doesn't matter. If you do a search on WoodNet, you'll find a number of threads about protecting cast iron from rust-producing moisture. There are many passionate opinions on the subject.

Marcus Ward
09-21-2007, 10:59 PM
The empire is stuff I use, I can't recommend it enough for rust removal and protection.

Frank Hagan
09-22-2007, 1:02 AM
My solution has always been Johnson's Paste Wax, found in Home Depot in the cleaning stuff aisle. There's an old saying about applying it:

Once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year, and once a year for life.

That's about all you need. I'm in a relatively "hostile environment" near the ocean in Southern California, with plenty of fog straight off the water and lots of corrosion of things in the yard. But my cast iron surfaces are in good shape.

Josiah Bartlett
09-22-2007, 2:59 AM
A warning about the Bostik stuff- if you get it on your fence rails, your fence clamp won't grip very well. I ruined a pretty nice piece of wood as the fence slipped on me after using the stuff.

Brian Weick
09-22-2007, 9:44 AM
I agree with the guys that use Johnson's paste wax- that is the best product( in my opinion) to use. Does a great job sealing steel and iron!
Brian:D

Tommy Squires
09-22-2007, 10:34 AM
After the cosmoline was gone I coated all the cast surfaces with paste wax. Never really had a problem with it but I'm always on the look out for improvements. I'll keep an eye peeled for this Sanduro product but until then I'll stick with my tried and true. Thanks for your help.

Greg Crawford
09-22-2007, 1:03 PM
I'm in nice, humid Houston. In the Spring, we can have temperature and dew point rises of 20-30 degrees in 24-36 hours. The mass of metal doesn't warm up enough fast enough to keep condensation from forming. As a result, I've had a TS top rust up just days after a coat of paste wax. Since then, I've moved to Boeshield T9, apply 2-3 times a year, and so far the rust has been very minimal. I use it on almost any bare metal. It isn't as slick as wax, so there's a trade off, but I'd rather have a little more friction than scrub rust.

Bill Wyko
09-22-2007, 1:40 PM
I don't know what it's called but Woodworkers source sells a product or 2 for protecting your iron tops. They usually have it on the shelf.

Jack Briggs
09-23-2007, 8:28 AM
Tommy,

What you're looking for is Sandaro Top Coat:

http://www.rbuhsd.k12.ca.us/staffpgs/heindocs/sandarotop.html

They don't have a web site, but in this MSDS the address is listed as Novato, CA (SF area).

Marcus Ward
09-23-2007, 9:26 AM
Are you sure you're not looking for Sanjuro?

http://www.toshiromifune.org/images/pics/Sanjuro2.jpeg

Just kidding. I like paste wax too, but after using it on my hand planes and then using them, I notice surface rust forming rather quickly so I've taken to using the Empire stuff on them. We'll see which is better.

Tommy Squires
09-23-2007, 9:59 AM
Jack, you're right - that's the one. I didn't realize that Sandaro had dissolved to resurface as Empire. Thanks

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-23-2007, 10:59 AM
I bought a can of Renaissance wax.

It's got some things in it ( micro-crystalline waxes) that regular paste wax hasn't got and is a tad more "pure." Neither of which attribute makes it one lick better than paste wax for cast iron table tops.

I have heard of a product called Boshield that is supposed to be the SHIZZ - - - never tried it tho.