PDA

View Full Version : Dumbell Hammer

Don Pierson
09-21-2007, 12:56 PM
My current project has some 3/8" square holes. I watched David Charleston's latest DVD where he stresses keeping the chisel vertical and striking it with a vertical blow. Having only light weight hammers and my hand/eye skills could qualify me for handicap parking so I came up with the idea of using a 10 pound dumbell. I hold it above the chisel and when the chisel is vertical I release my grip on the dumbell. The 10 pound blow works quite well on the QSWO.

Ryan Cathey
09-21-2007, 9:39 PM
Nice idea! Whatchya workin' on? QSWO and square pegs smells like Arts and Crafts/Mission style...my favorite!

Teresa Jones
09-21-2007, 10:29 PM
The dumbell in my shop weighs a great deal more than 10 pounds :p

Very creative thinking.

TJ

Jim Dunn
09-21-2007, 10:52 PM
Best use of exercise equipment I've ever seen. Neat use for a "probably not used much" piece of steel.

glenn bradley
09-21-2007, 11:11 PM
I added not quite so much weight and shortened the handle on an old one of mine. Great use of the dumbell though, cool.

Don Pierson
09-22-2007, 1:23 PM
Ryan...my project is a modification of a 19th-century candle lantern that appeared in the March 2005 Woodcraft magazine. QSWO, ebony 3/8" square pegs and other modifications makes for a project that is way beyond my skils, experience, and tool set!

Teresa, Jim...Yes I had to dust off the dumbell and now I should dust off my bathroom scales to determine the weight of the biggest dumbell in my shop.

Glenn...If I had a heavy hammer like yours I would hold it with the handle vertical and let it fall throught my fingers. A lot easier to ensure a vertical blow like a pile driver. This QSWO just kinda snickers at anything less than ten pounds.

glenn bradley
09-22-2007, 1:36 PM
This QSWO just kinda snickers at anything less than ten pounds.

You sir, make an excellent point ;-)