PDA

View Full Version : Is a 1/2 hp 14" Bandsaw going to drive me nuts?

Alex Cam
09-21-2007, 7:56 AM
I can pick up a used Delta 1/2hp 14" bandsaw for ~$200. It's main use would be.... (hold your breath) rounding out bowl blanks! Is 1/2hp going to do the trick or will it just drive me bonkers?

Thanks in advance.

Doug M Jones
09-21-2007, 8:27 AM
I've been researching Bandsaws for quite a while and I was leaning toward the 1 1/2 horse RIKON which some say is great. Many here on the Creek have been nudging me towards something bigger so I would be real interested in how this works for you if you purchase it. I've seen several posts of creekers with 3/4 horse machines that weren't happy with the power so I would be surprised if this fit your needs.

Jim Becker
09-21-2007, 9:16 AM
Alex, with a narrow blade with a limited number of (sharp" teeth, you'll be able to handle material ok if you go slow and don't force it. But cutting wet wood is hard on the saw, especially since it's not often perfectly flat on the bottom as you rotate through the cut. You also have the option of up-sizing the motor on many of these older band saws and rounding the bigger blanks with a chain saw. But I have to agree with Doug, you may not be happy long term with the machine.

Ralph Lindberg
09-21-2007, 9:28 AM
I had one... trying to cut any bowl blank bogged the thing down to the point were I sold if on e-bay for less then you are talking
Bought a 2HP (Grizzly G0457) and haven't been unhappy yet

Paul Engle
09-21-2007, 10:04 AM
I have a 12" 1/2 horse delta ( 6 " throat ) with (1/2" max width saw blade) and is great for up to 3 inche thick material other wise I'd go full horse and up if I had the money, I bought this before I started turning wood and it it is great for ( dare i say ---- work ) .....:o . this is a belt drive unit and I have stalled it more than once on over 5" thick blanks

Bernie Weishapl
09-21-2007, 10:43 AM
Alex I have the Grizzly Ultimate G0555 with a 1 hp and with a 1/2" 3 tpi Timberwolf blade it cuts anything I have thrown at it so far including some up to 8" thick. 1/2 hp will be a slow go and I sold my 1/2 hp for this one.

Alex Cam
09-21-2007, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the good advice thus far. Sounds like my best bet is to save my pennies and go for a little more HP.

Brian Weick
09-21-2007, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the good advice thus far. Sounds like my best bet is to save my pennies and go for a little more HP.

You would just be disappointed for what your using it for. wise decision Alex!:D
Brian

Frank Kobilsek
09-21-2007, 3:24 PM
Bernie

I'm set up just like you (except the Timberwolf) and I can't share your enthusiasm. Brand new blade barely OK on big blanks but after things go down hill pretty quick. I win the lottery, I'll buy a bigger bandsaw even before I order my Mustard with extra fix'ins. My two cents worth.

Frank

Jonathan Harvey
09-21-2007, 3:57 PM
I just bought a Bandsaw 2hp General international and I know it has had no problems cutting blanks. I would say save your pennies. You'll thank yourself later.

Steve Kubien
09-21-2007, 7:06 PM
Save 'em up! My bandsaw is a General 590 metal-cutter with a 1/2hp motor and it bogs down pretty badly in wet wood. Hey, it was $50! I couldn't turn it down.

Steve Kubien

Curt Harms
09-21-2007, 7:31 PM
I can pick up a used Delta 1/2hp 14" bandsaw for ~$200. It's main use would be.... (hold your breath) rounding out bowl blanks! Is 1/2hp going to do the trick or will it just drive me bonkers?

Thanks in advance.
Are You a bit of a tinkerer?
Do You have access to (used?) inexpensive single phase motors with the proper base?
Will 6" of cutting height work for You? Yes You can add a riser block but that's yet more tinkering and expense.If so, a U.S. made Delta 14" in good shape for $200 doesn't seem horrible. Would it be worthwhile for You to change the motor from .5 h.p. to something like 1.5 h.p.?

More to think about.

HTH

Curt

Rich Souchek
09-21-2007, 8:57 PM
Got the same bandsaw here, and the 1/2hp motor sucks.
BUT.....
$200 bandsaw + $100 bigger motor + time = ??? (well, works for me... already have a 1.5 hp motor to put on her...)
Rich S.

Bill Stevener
09-21-2007, 9:02 PM
No soap box.

Is 1/2hp going to do the trick { -- No!

will it just drive me bonkers? {-- Yes!

Thanks in advance.