PDA

View Full Version : "Weekend Doin's"

Karl Laustrup
09-21-2007, 6:40 AM
Friday Sepetember 21st, 2007

"GOOD MORNING CREEKERS"

This Sunday marks the end of summer and the first day of autumn. While we are having somewhat of a heat wave, the leaves are changing quite quickly it seems. After a drive on some backroads yesterday, I was quite surprised at how many of the trees have started to turn.

Going to get in a round of golf tomorrow. Wife's sis and BIL are coming down and want to play. I'll have to keep track of the Badger's game as we play.

I will try and get in the shop Sunday, but once the Packer game starts I'll be in the house watching in HD. This should be a good test to see if they're for real. I'll also be checking in on the Dover race.

How about you? What are you up to this weekend? I hope it will be productive in some way and enjoyable whatever it may be.

BE SAFE!

Karl

P.S. It won't mean much later, but for now this is my 2,000th post. :D

Rich Engelhardt
09-21-2007, 7:08 AM
Hello,
All work and no play - 'bout sums up my life for the next 9 days.
We (wife and I ) are -->this close<-- to having the rental done and Oct 1st is the deadline.
Working a 40 hour plus week at a regular job, then another 50 hours plus a week on the rental for the last 3 months is starting to take it's toll.

Danny Thompson
09-21-2007, 8:10 AM
2 of my daughters have birthdays this weekend. So there's that. Otherwise, I hope to continue work on some garage storage cabinets for my father.

Jim Dunn
09-21-2007, 8:13 AM
Working on the shed. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=62727

With any luck I may get the overhang done this weekend. Those corners are what takes all the time. May get some of the Miratec up this weekend as well.

Al Willits
09-21-2007, 8:56 AM
Still dealing with storm damage and the repairs, but almost done, also starting a weeks vacation and we've planed a bit of fishing, golf and dinning out, along with a host of projects that I've been putting off for a rainy day.

Rumor has it we might get together with Tyler for a burger or something, haven't seen him for a bit.

And...hoping to get into the shop and do a bit of cleaning and maybe start designing the kitchen cabinets..finally. :)

Also have the car port to build so the boat can be taken off the driveway, which will make Beasty happy and the beatings will stop...:)

Have a safe and well weekend.

Al

Jim Becker
09-21-2007, 9:21 AM
Well...Saturday I have karate and swimming duty with the girls and Sunday we're visiting friends who just moved to this area from near Bean-town. I will hopefully get a little shop time so I can at least shoot another coat of finish on the vanity doors. Otherwise...I'll have to wait until Monday to get some shop time. Yup...more vacation. "Use it or lose it" time and that's the last week of the fiscal year...and I'm off for the entire week!

Bill Wyko
09-21-2007, 12:04 PM
My weekend doins start today. The power co. is switching my power to my new 200 amp pannel. Once that's done I can run my power to my workshop and finally roll up that big extension cord and get to some serious woodwork.:D Then I'll be continuing on my BILs humidor. (I'm making a little progress):D

Rob Wright
09-21-2007, 2:22 PM
A weekend of enjoyment for me. I am going to the north woods of Wisconsin for the Woodcock season opener and hope to find some ruff grouse hanging out in the popple as well. Weather looks to be nice and won't be too warm for the dogs.

Dale Osowski
09-21-2007, 3:09 PM
Hopefully I'll get a chance to start working on a table I've had on the back burner for awhile. I planed the slabs awhile back and they have been sitting ever since.

Dale

Bill Wyko
09-21-2007, 3:51 PM
Looks like it'll be quite a nice table.

Greg Peterson
09-21-2007, 3:59 PM
Replacing two 8'x7' garage doors. Having insulated the walls in the garage/shop, upgrading the old, wooden garage doors to insulated doors is kind of like putting a cherry on top of a sunday. Replacing the old wooden doors with insulated doors.

I expect the shop to be comfortable enough to actually work in it this winter. A first!

Dale Osowski
09-21-2007, 4:02 PM
Looks like it'll be quite a nice table.

I hope so, I'm going to incorporate granite or furnace glass with the base. There will actually be two tables, one will use the bookmatched set pictured. I may try both base ideas, the single slab will most likely get the base with furnace glass in the design. So many ideas to little time:)

Dale

David G Baker
09-21-2007, 8:35 PM
Hello,
All work and no play - 'bout sums up my life for the next 9 days.
We (wife and I ) are -->this close<-- to having the rental done and Oct 1st is the deadline.
Working a 40 hour plus week at a regular job, then another 50 hours plus a week on the rental for the last 3 months is starting to take it's toll.
Rich,
A suggestion on your working on a rental house, "hire it done". You can write it off of your taxes and you can get a tenant into the house in a much shorter time.
Your labors are not tax deductible. Something I learned on my first rental house. I spent three months learning new skills which benefited me in the long run but the 50 extra hours a week over and above my regular job was a killer. I should have hired the work done by a pro and spent the extra 50 hours working overtime so I could afford the pro.

chris ormsby
09-21-2007, 9:23 PM
If you are heating your garage while you are working out there, dissengage you garage door opener once you are up to temp. I used to work in my grandparents garage, and as soon as I was warm and toasty, someone would open the door from in the house tp get my attention. Goodbye to all my heat. The opener will still get your attention without loosing your heat.

Joe Mioux
09-21-2007, 9:27 PM
Four weddings and two funerals.

Jim Becker
09-21-2007, 9:50 PM
Four weddings and two funerals.

Sounds like a movie...

glenn bradley
09-21-2007, 11:14 PM
Sending my ole baby Delta DP down the road to a friend. Need to get the ole BS and Plate Joiner on the classifieds. Hope to start on a stripping session on LOML's grandma's dresser so I LOML can start using it (read: get it outta my way). :D

Jude Kingery
09-22-2007, 12:33 AM
Sounds like everybody's gonna be busy! My husband's going up to his family's farm to help his brother build some stuff and I'll have all day tomorrow for shop time and woodturning and inventory to get ready for an art show. Now just 15 days and counting! Have fun everyone! Jude

Rich Engelhardt
09-22-2007, 6:07 AM
Hello David,
Yep - we do hire out a portion of the work.
This is our third rental, and with each one we get a little more ambitious with the work we take on to do ourselves.

I consider it a learning process for the future.
One reason I like to "do it myself", is that it gives me a much better idea of what's all involved/what to look for in future purchases.

There are some things/some situations where we do farm out/hire out the work though.

James Suzda
09-22-2007, 6:19 AM
The problem of being retired you never get any days off, nor do you have any “weekends off”! But, I can live with that! <GRIN>
As for the “doings” my son and I are going to start cutting and splitting the season’s firewood today. (Lots of dead oak trees from the “oak blight” to clean up.)
Jim

Dan Strieter
09-22-2007, 6:31 AM
Need to keep the kids entertained today as LOML has a church event with the ladies. Will have some time to do some more organization in the garage (shop) and possibly get some more insulation up. Need to wax down the tools as well. Then over to a buddies with the kids to pick up another load of firewood from a maple he had cut down. Funny how they enjoy hauling wood when my brother and I dispised doing it growing up. Of course, we burn it now for pleasure while it was a necessity growing up. Then again, I plan our wood hauling to occurr when there's not peak mosquito activity also.