PDA

View Full Version : Turn-a-thon Tulsa OK March 31st, 2004

Bob Lasley
02-01-2004, 4:28 PM
I am working with the Tulsa Woodcraft store to put on an all day pen turning event that we have dubbed a Freedom Pen Turn-a-thon. We just got the planning kicked off today so a date has not yet been set. The general idea is Woodcraft will set up all their lathes in their classroom and turners will be able to participate by turning as many pens as they want to with Woodcraft providing all materials and all pens going to the Freedom Pen Project. Current thought is to go from 9:00 am to 9:00 pm.

I will post details as soon as we nail them down, but I thought some of you might want to use this idea as well.

Bob

Dave Bonde
02-01-2004, 5:02 PM
Cool - Sounds like a fun day and a great idea, hope it works out well for you. Dave

Ken Salisbury
02-01-2004, 5:38 PM
I am working with the Tulsa Woodcraft store to put on an all day pen turning event that we have dubbed a Freedom Pen Turn-a-thon. We just got the planning kicked off today so a date has not yet been set. The general idea is Woodcraft will set up all their lathes in their classroom and turners will be able to participate by turning as many pens as they want to with Woodcraft providing all materials and all pens going to the Freedom Pen Project. Current thought is to go from 9:00 am to 9:00 pm.

I will post details as soon as we nail them down, but I thought some of you might want to use this idea as well.

Bob

Absolutely great Bob - Support and participation is growing across the country -- My thanks to you local Woodcraft store.

Dennis Peacock
02-02-2004, 12:18 AM
I have pondered the thought of talking with the new HD store manager about doing a pen turning demo in the new store with a poster or two for the Freedom Pen Project. Has anyone else done this or have any idea if HD or Lowes would even allow this kind of thing in their store?

Keith Outten
02-02-2004, 6:50 AM
Bob,

I like the idea of a Turn-A-Thon! Either Mike Leonard or myself will contact our Woodcraft store and see if they are interested in such an event.

Thanks

Julie Wright
02-02-2004, 9:58 PM
Hey,
Bob thanks for the idea. I am going to talk to the local woodcraft and try to set up a Turn A Thon too, once the kids at the HS here have some experience. I think it would be great to include them too.

I'll Let you all know whats going on in Charleston SC.. :)

Jerry Stringer
02-03-2004, 12:20 AM
once the kids at the HS here have some experience. I think it would be great to include them too.

WOW! Can you imagine the public impact that could have with the media! Great idea!!!!

Jerry

Keith Outten
02-05-2004, 12:02 PM
Anyone who is fortunate enough to successfully schedule a local Turn-A-Thon should call their local TV and Newspaper and request coverage for the event.

I suggest that you find a local Wood Turners group and ask them to assist by co-sponsoring the event whenever possible. This way you are assured of constant participation for your event throughout the day.

I can't imagine any local vendor who would say no to an event that would bring a TV camera to their store :)

Bill Chapman
02-05-2004, 7:37 PM
I contacted my local Woodcraft today. Bad news for me. We don't have an open Thursday, Friday, Saturday, or Sunday though the first of April, in the class room. David ( the owner loves the Idea if we can find a date. Apparenlty our local store ranks in the top store in the country for classes given. We are still going to work on it and try to find a date. We are also challaging our turners club at the next meeting to support our effort. I spoke with my Kiwanis club and they will be possible be supporting us tbd at the next meeting.
As far as everything else going on it sound great thanks to everyone effort and success

God bless Our troups

Bob Lasley
02-05-2004, 11:03 PM
I contacted my local Woodcraft today. Bad news for me. We don't have an open Thursday, Friday, Saturday, or Sunday though the first of April, in the class room. David ( the owner loves the Idea if we can find a date. Apparenlty our local store ranks in the top store in the country for classes given. We are still going to work on it and try to find a date. We are also challaging our turners club at the next meeting to support our effort. I spoke with my Kiwanis club and they will be possible be supporting us tbd at the next meeting.
As far as everything else going on it sound great thanks to everyone effort and success

God bless Our troups

Bill,

Our Turnathon will probably be on a Tuesday as the store here also has the classroom booked Thursday-Sunday. This means we will probably have more turners in the evening than during the day, but then again there are alot of retired folks who turn as well.

Bob

Greg Heppeard
02-08-2004, 5:27 PM
I need a sign for my store for the Turn A Thon...anybody got a suggestion?