PDA

View Full Version : Any Ideas On How To Soften Hide Glue

Jim Watson
09-20-2007, 10:51 PM
Wonder if someone out there might have any advise on how to soften up old hide glue. I am going to try to restore a large wooden horn from an antique Victor phonograph. I will need to remove many sections from the horn - one at a time. Then I will need to make a duplicte piece and reglue it in place. I am told the pieces are glued together with hide glue. Any advise or suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
thanks,
Jim

Gary Breckenridge
09-20-2007, 10:56 PM
:) Heat.:) Try a blow dryer or a steam iron.:)

David DeCristoforo
09-20-2007, 10:58 PM
Steam might do it. But vinegar is known to soften just about any organically based glue known to man...

James Suzda
09-21-2007, 6:00 AM
Heat will soften hide glue. Like Gary suggested try using a blow gun. What I would like to suggest is that you use hide glue to reassemble the piece. That way if someone wants to rebuild it again a 100 years from now they will be able to disassemble the phonograph without damaging the wood. (I've been trying to restore an old player piano over the years and everything is glued using hide glue.)
Jim

Al Navas
09-21-2007, 7:29 AM
Jim,

In December, 2003, Bob Smalser posted right here a great article on glues, including hide glue, addressing the issue of whether the various types of glue are repairable. A truly GREAT thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=21822&highlight=repair+glue)! This one is worth archiving, as it is invaluable.

I think you will enjoy reading it.

Steve Wargo
09-21-2007, 7:49 AM
Hot Water is all you need to soften hide glue. You can inject it into the joints with a syringe.

Jack Briggs
09-21-2007, 8:08 AM
I use a steam generator, like a Shark Supersteamer. A capuccino maker can easily be modified to handle the job. A heat gun augments the steamer and keeps the joint warm so I can work it loose.

Jim Watson
09-22-2007, 11:22 AM
Sounds like I will give my wifes garmet steamer a try. Bought it for her a few years ago and she has never used it. Large unit that sits on the floor, with a long flexible hose. Should work perfect, and might even be a sourse of steam for the steam box I will have to make.

I appreciate all the advise, and the link to the glue article Al. Thanks a lot,

Jim