PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Ornament Exchange????????

Curt Fuller
09-20-2007, 10:24 PM
How would you folks feel about doing a Holiday Ornament Exchange? The idea I have in mind is this….

Sometime in the next few weeks start sharpening your skills at turning a holiday ornament, any style, type, or shape that tickles your fancy. Then around mid November we’ll make a post asking for everyone that’s still interested to sign up. Once we’ve had a week or so to gather the names of those that want to be in on it, we’ll mix up the names and draw them to see who trades with whom. Keep the pictures to yourself until everyone that’s participating is signed up and the drawing of names is done. Then you can just trade mailing addresses with whoever you draw, post pics of your trade ornament, and mail them off in time for the holidays.

Anyone interested?

Nancy Laird
09-20-2007, 10:44 PM
Yep, assuming that I can figure out how to turn an ornament in the next few weeks.:confused: :p

Nancy (92 days)

Richard Madison
09-20-2007, 11:22 PM
Seems like a potentially fun idea, but I'm not going to sign up. Have done a few ornaments, and am not willing to cause such massive disappointment in whoever got my ornament. Just trying to be considerate.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-21-2007, 12:48 AM
Sounds like fun....Providing I can get the shop finished and the new equipment set up.

Pete Jordan
09-21-2007, 6:51 AM
I'm in.

Ken, what is taking so long? Are you adding on?

Chris Rolke
09-21-2007, 7:49 AM
i would be interested in doing something

so count me in

Doug M Jones
09-21-2007, 8:30 AM
I'm with Nancy, I'll have to give it a try before I actually sign up. Sounds like fun.

Bill Blasic
09-21-2007, 8:40 AM
I'm in, let the fun begin!

Andy Hoyt
09-21-2007, 9:01 AM
Yup - me too.

Kevin McPeek
09-21-2007, 9:33 AM
I'll do it. I need to brush up and get busy on them anyway...tis (almost) the season.

TYLER WOOD
09-21-2007, 9:49 AM
add my name to the list. And I apologize ahead of time to who gets mine.

Paul Heely
09-21-2007, 10:15 AM
Count me in.

I'll get it out of the way now. To whoever gets mine, it's nothing personal..... :o

Bernie Weishapl
09-21-2007, 10:40 AM
Sounds like fun Curt. I am in.

Bonnie Campbell
09-21-2007, 3:27 PM
I'd like to give it a try..... I also apologize now for whomever gets a trade from me :o

Dennis Peacock
09-21-2007, 3:44 PM
Sure..!!! I give it a try. Besides, anything turned by another "Creeker" is an item worth cherishing IMHO. It's the thought and the attempt at making something that means the most to me. Just be sure to sign and date you pieces before exchanging. :D

TYLER WOOD
09-21-2007, 3:50 PM
Yeah, you don't want any fellow creekers trying to take credit for what you have turned. Not that they would want to take credit for mine, or I would do that to you guys (really I wouldn't I swear!!!!)

Tom Sherman
09-21-2007, 4:47 PM
I like this idea count me in.

Bill Wyko
09-21-2007, 5:30 PM
What the heck, sign me up. Sounds fun:)

Jim Becker
09-21-2007, 7:46 PM
I'll bite...it might force me to find some time at the lathe in between cabinetry and furniture projects for the addition...

Larry Marley
09-21-2007, 8:35 PM
Seems like a potentially fun idea, but I'm not going to sign up. Have done a few ornaments, and am not willing to cause such massive disappointment in whoever got my ornament. Just trying to be considerate.

I'm in and I would be happy to swap with Richard!

Shane Whitlock
09-21-2007, 8:54 PM
Great idea ... Sounds like fun, count me in!

Bill Stevener
09-21-2007, 9:15 PM
OK Curt, I'll give it a go.

Wayne Boian
09-21-2007, 9:58 PM
Just rebuilt a lathe I purchased at auction and taking my first turning class tomorrow.

Don't expect to much because I'm just starting out. Count me in because I need a project to start on.

Is there someplace I can find plans or destructions for making the holiday ormament.

Merry X-Mas

Wayne

Jon McCoy
09-21-2007, 11:05 PM
I'm in, same noob boat as Wayne -- good excuse to learn how to turn an ornament I expect. Something tells me some of your folks are sandbagging, though. :)

Lots of good idears here: http://www.woodturningonline.com/Turning/Projects/ornaments.html

-jon-

Bobby McCarley
09-22-2007, 1:32 AM
Great idea, count me in.

Bobby,
Louisiana

adam tracksler
09-22-2007, 6:46 AM
yeah! count me in!

John Taylor
09-22-2007, 7:11 AM
I have never turned one before but might as well give it a go. :o

I am in as long as there is no objection to someone having to send theres to the UK. I have checked the rates from the UK to the USA and it isnt very much so I am willing if you are.

john

Brian Weick
09-22-2007, 10:31 AM
"FOR SURE ~ COUNT ME IN"!:mad: :o :confused: :cool: :rolleyes: ;) :) :D :eek:
Brian

Christopher K. Hartley
09-22-2007, 6:43 PM
Never done one but I can sure try. I'm in.:)

Richard Madison
09-22-2007, 11:46 PM
Larry,
Thanks for your support. Guess I just got sucked in too.

Jeffrey Fusaro
09-24-2007, 8:32 AM
why not?

i'm in!

great idea curt!

Bill Stevener
10-01-2007, 9:22 PM
BUMP
Christmas is coming, Christmas is coming, Charistmas is coming. :D

Curt Fuller
10-01-2007, 9:35 PM
This is a list of those who have shown an interest so far.....Anyone else want to get in on it or get out of it?

SMC Holiday Ornament Exchange list…..

Nancy Laird
Ken Fitzgerald
Pete Jordan
Chris Rolke
Doug Jones
Bill Blasic
Andy Hoyt
Kevin McPeek
Tyler Wood
Paul Heely
Bernie Weishapl
Bonnie Campbell
Dennis Peacock
Tom Sherman
Bill Wyko
Jim Becker
Larry Marley
Shane Whitlock
Wayne Boian
Bill Stevener
John McCoy
Bobby McCarley
Adam Tracksler
John Taylor
Brian Weick
Christopher Hartley
Richard Madison
Jeffrey Fusaro

Bob Hallowell
10-01-2007, 11:08 PM
Curt,
toss mine name in the hat.

Bob

Raymond Overman
10-02-2007, 8:26 AM
Put me on the list. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Dennis Peacock
10-02-2007, 9:15 AM
Hey Curt,

How about a quick tutorial or link on how to make these things for those of us that have never made one or are new to turning? How 'bout it bud? Some of us need a little help. http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g69/sawdustar/emoticons/help1.gif

TYLER WOOD
10-02-2007, 9:24 AM
Does it have to be an ornament or can it be a Christmas decoration? I have a couple ideas for decorations that are not going to fit on a tree? Would these be acceptable, or do they need to be tree ornaments?

Bonnie Campbell
10-02-2007, 9:47 AM
Hey Curt,

How about a quick tutorial or link on how to make these things for those of us that have never made one or are new to turning? How 'bout it bud? Some of us need a little help. http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g69/sawdustar/emoticons/help1.gif

I second Dennis!

Nancy Laird
10-02-2007, 10:49 AM
Hey Curt,

And I third Dennis.

Nancy (80 days)

John Taylor
10-02-2007, 11:36 AM
HI

These are quite good, trying to follow them myself. :)

http://community.webshots.com/album/59628267IlRNiW

http://www.woodcentral.com/articles/turning/articles_482.shtml

http://www.woodcentral.com/articles/turning/articles_337.shtml

john

Jeffrey Fusaro
10-02-2007, 1:00 PM
a fella in our turning club gave a demo on ornaments last year. pretty interesting. his ornaments were hollow. i've never hollowed anything before - at least not intentionally. :eek:

do they need to be hollow? or, can i just include a disclaimer that my ornament should be hung on a low christmas tree branch that's at least 1" in diameter? :confused:

maybe i should include an eye hook and a ball of twine for anchoring the tree to the back wall? just a thought...

this oughta be a hoot! :)

Jon McCoy
10-02-2007, 1:53 PM
I decided to try making one, this weekend, and found it pretty fun. Hollowing is kinda scary, so drilled the blank and slid it onto a jam chuck to turn down the body to 1/16" while supported.

I was using the project in Barry Gross' Learn to Turn, which is nearly the same as this one: http://www.woodturningonline.com/Turning/Turning_content/Bird%20House.pdf

Maybe by Christmas I'll have an Eliminator to make hollowing less scary. :D

-jon-

Dean Thomas
10-02-2007, 3:20 PM
I'll commit, too. Love the idea.

For Wayne & John & John and others who are shy about sharing their turning with others or concerned about finding an ornament design to start their creative juices, if you google "turned wood ornament" you'll find LOTS of things to look at. Like 1.4 million hits! :p

Old woodworking magazines have ideas that range from turned Christmas tree/Hannukkah bush ornaments to snowmen, icicles, bells, or other very simple shapes to complex segmented designs. Bird house ornaments, school bell ornaments, hollow balls with icicles, candlesticks, or olde-timey lampposts. Just wood, stained, painted, pierced, burned, burls, barks, acrylics, metals, and other variations on the theme.

Nick Cook did a simple snowman icicle ornament as part of his class a few years ago. One of our local guy has sold about 50 of them every year since he took Nick's class! Bob Rosand sells HUNDREDS of his little hollow globe ornaments every year, many of them painted by his wife.

A couple of years ago, an Army wife sent out a note saying that she'd gotten permission to send her hubby a small artificial Christmas tree and was hoping that her friends and his would take the time to provide some small thing to hang on the tree, maybe something that would be meaningful to him or the others in their barracks. He has really taken to her two boys and they look to him as their daddy figure. I pondered quite a while about what it was that I'd send him. Our club was making tops for one of our projects and it dawned on me. I took a piece of cedar that was harvested from near their home in Kansas and turned him two tops. They were similar, especially since they came from the same chunk of wood, but they were different. Wrote him a little note about how "his boys" were also each unique and hoped that when he saw or played with the tops, he'd think about them and maybe drop them an email to tell 'em he was thinking of them. Took a piece of neoprene tubing and fit the "handles" so they'd tuck up inside the tube so that he could hang the tops from the tree.

Don't be intimidated, Wayne & John & John (and any other turning newbies). IT'S FUN AND IT'S THE SPIRIT OF THE THING!! C'mon in, the water's fine!

When do you think you might provide details on distribution, Curt?

Rick Apt
10-02-2007, 7:25 PM
I would like to try an ornament if it is not too late to join the exchange.

Thanks.

Ron Erickson
10-02-2007, 9:03 PM
Looks like fun I am in too.

Wayne Boian
10-02-2007, 9:40 PM
Thanks for the info Dean. Checked the net like you said and found lots of "good stuff".

Diving into the water head first!

Wayne

Curt Fuller
10-02-2007, 9:50 PM
Does it have to be an ornament or can it be a Christmas decoration? I have a couple ideas for decorations that are not going to fit on a tree? Would these be acceptable, or do they need to be tree ornaments?

Hey Tyler, the only rule for this exchange is that there are no rules. The Holiday Season means so many things to different folks that we'll leave this wide open for anything in the spirit of the holidays, no matter how or what you celebrate. Turn your imagination loose!

I'm going to set November 10, 2007 as the last date you can sign up. Then I'll post the list to make sure there aren't any that have changed their minds. We'll get the exchange partners matched up by November 17, and then everyone will have a time to get them finished and mailed in time for the holidays.

Bill Noce
10-02-2007, 11:09 PM
I would be interested ...... cann't wait.......

John Taylor
10-04-2007, 9:56 AM
HI

Heres another good design that has just been posted.

http://bobhamswwing.com/Articles/Christmas%20Ornament/Christmas%20Ornament1.htm

john

TYLER WOOD
10-04-2007, 12:01 PM
Sweet, no tree ornament for me!!!! Or for the person who gets mine! This one will sit on a table or something!!!!

Dean Thomas
10-04-2007, 3:22 PM
Nice find, John!!

Earl Reid
11-02-2007, 11:01 PM
If its not too late , i would like to be in on the exchange
Earl

David Fried
11-02-2007, 11:18 PM
Sure, something new, sign me up.
Maybe I can make Andy look good :eek:

Doug M Jones
11-03-2007, 8:26 PM
Curt,
I've been practicing with my skew and am ordering some wood to make ornaments with. I replied in post #7 of this thread but on your list I see Doug Jones who on this forum is another person. Just wanted to make sure I am in on the fun.

Doug M Jones

Andy Hoyt
11-03-2007, 9:35 PM
Sure, something new, sign me up.
Maybe I can make Andy look good :eek: Not a chance, bub.

Nice to see you on here again, Dave.

Dave Bonde
11-04-2007, 12:47 AM
Count me in. Dave