PDA

View Full Version : New dovetail jig (to me) what are these for?

Michael Weber
09-20-2007, 10:07 PM
Purchased a used Leigh1258 partially upgraded to a D4. No manual supplied so I downloaded the D4 manual from the Leigh web pages. The 1258 manual is no longer available. Anyway, I have gotten it assembled except I can't figure out what two items are for. Attached is a picture of the two items. There are 5 of one item and only 1 of the other. The first item of which there are 5 are hollow plastic things about 1/2 inch long and 1/4 inch wide. They are square on one end and round on the other. The second item is metal and appears to be a kind of thumb screw with a thread on one end. Its about 3/4 inch long overall. Anyone tell me if these are even used with the jig and where the go or what they are for? I will probably go ahead and upgrade the jig the rest of the way to the D4 by adding the new scales. Thanks for any info.
Mike
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/mike72903/unknown.jpg

Chris Rosenberger
09-20-2007, 11:18 PM
The five small pieces are used with a piece of 1/4" X 1/4" x approx 24" steel bar. One of those small pieces goes on each end of the bar. The bar fits in the recesses on fingers to make a sliding dovetail fence.
I have no idea what the thumb screw is for. I have never seen one of those with a Leigh jig.

Michael Weber
09-21-2007, 12:06 AM
Thanks Chris. Appreciate the info. The thumb screw may just be something that got put in the "bag-o-parts" that came with the jig.