PDA

View Full Version : Sources for Kiln Dried Blanks

Fred Conte
09-20-2007, 9:58 PM
Several members have provided me with sources for blanks but all offered green wood. I'm looking for blanks that are kiln dried for bowls and lidded boxes. I've tried several green pieces that I got from the saw mill but by the next morning they were cracked sitting on my lathe...very disappointing.:( Am I doing something wrong?:confused:

Thanks for your help...

Fred

George Guadiane
09-20-2007, 10:37 PM
Several members have provided me with sources for blanks but all offered green wood. I'm looking for blanks that are kiln dried for bowls and lidded boxes. I've tried several green pieces that I got from the saw mill but by the next morning they were cracked sitting on my lathe...very disappointing.:( Am I doing something wrong?:confused:

Thanks for your help...

Fred
YES!
dry blanks is one solution, BUT, you can reduce or prevent cracking by covering the work, put it in a brown paper bag, fill the bag with curls from the turning you are working on.

If you shape the outside and stop, there is a 99% probability that in only a few hours, there will be significant cracking (voice of experience here) if you just leave it on the lathe in the open air. Air is the enemy. the water comes out of the wood too quickly, causing cracks.

Richard Link
09-20-2007, 10:47 PM
Fred,

You should have a look at the Turners forum. There are many threads discussing the approach to turning green wood. In general, most turners "rough turn" the wood to a thick bowl shape and then allow it to dry in a paper bag before going back for final turning. There are also a large number of different regimens (some complicated some as simple as above). As I understand it, the bottom line is that green wood is a joy to turn but does require some patience to reach the final product. The folks on the turners forum are extremely helpful and experienced, though, so you will likely learn a lot from following the threads there.

Rick

Richard Link
09-20-2007, 10:50 PM
Also Fred, if you live near a Rockler, they have a great special on dried curly maple blanks this month. Bought several for about $5 each and they turn beautifully. Not quite so exotic but a nice and easy source for practice if you are close to the store.

Rick

Gary Herrmann
09-20-2007, 10:55 PM
Also Fred, if you live near a Rockler, they have a great special on dried curly maple blanks this month. Bought several for about $5 each and they turn beautifully. Not quite so exotic but a nice and easy source for practice if you are close to the store.

Rick

Ditto on tha AAA curly maple at really good prices. That said - what about glueups if you want dry?

Ralph Lindberg
09-21-2007, 9:40 AM
Also check eBay, there are several firms that sell KD turning blanks. A few people I have bought from.

Three separate links to ebay removed

Bernie Weishapl
09-21-2007, 10:51 AM
Fred leaving them on a lathe without covering is not a option. Air will dry the blank to fast and it will crack. You can soak in Denatured alcohol for 24 to 72 hrs. then wrap in brown paper grocery sack cutting a opening in the bowl opening. I have had excellent luck using this method and they will dry in about 2 to 3 weeks. Liquid dishwashing detergent soak is another way to keep them from cracking and dry quciker. Putting them in a brown paper grocery bad with the chips you turned of the bowl will work but takes longer to dry. Kiln dried wood that is hard is a hard way to turn bowls. Boxes will do fine but still hard on tools and you.

Allen Neighbors
09-21-2007, 10:20 PM
Turning green wood is fun, but you gotta do certain things to make it enjoyable. Turn the outside as quickly as you can, turn the inside as quickly as you can, and as thin as you dare... thin is necessary... finish the bottom as quickly as you can.
If you have to leave the turning... even to go to the bathroom... spray it with soapy water and wrap it tightly with a plastic bag of some sort so it won't unwrap by itself while you're gone.
This is the way I do green-wood turnings that I want finished immediately. It's not the only way, just my way.
The other way I do is rough-turn quickly, and toss it into the soap vat for at least a month...(less time doesn't work for me)... then dry in my reefer kiln.
KD blanks are hard to turn, but sure are satisfying when finished... I've not turned a lot of it (KD), but I think Ralph's given you some good choices.

Dick Strauss
09-22-2007, 12:37 AM
Fred,
As others have said, don't leave a green piece exposed to the air any longer than you have to. I use two plastic grocery bags (doubled up in case of holes) to cover my work while it is on the lathe.

I use the DNA soak method for green wood.

Good luck,
Dick

Fred Conte
09-22-2007, 11:22 AM
Thanks everyone for your advice!

Living in central FL and working in an unfinished shop (no insulation or AC) the temperature usually reaches high 90's and the relative humidity is typically 80% plus. It's a never ending battle with rust let alone trying to get things to dry such as green wood.

I'll try some of the suggestions you've mentioned such as spraying with soapy water and the next time I'm in town I'll pick up some DNA and try that method, and cover my work with plastic bags filled with shavings.

Taking frequent breaks, even with several fans running, is necessary because it's very stiffling to breath after a while. Additionally, I can not stand very long because of a spinal disease - many surgeries - and titanium rods in my back. I've tried sitting on a stool but found it too awkward.

Thanks again for all the excellent advice...you guys are great!

Fred