PDA

View Full Version : Delta 36-715 hybrid or Craftsman 22124?

Brian Keith
09-20-2007, 9:33 PM
Im looking for a new ts and am cosidering either of these two. Would like to know from other creekers their thoughts or from owners. I have on order the $80 Biesemeyer fence that Lowes was selling so I have a good fence to go with. Now my local Rockler can get the Delta with no fence or rails for a lower price which I am waiting to hear back from. The prices on the two may be close,so what do you all think?? Thanks

scott spencer
09-21-2007, 5:56 AM
Hi again Brian - For the sake of a bump, I'll chime in again.

Those two saws share the same motor, motor mount, and belt drive system. They also share the same on/off switch and base cabinet (the Delta adds a toe kick). The trunnion structures are quite different, with the advantage swinging to the cabinet mounted trunnions of the 22124 (IMO), for the ease of adjustment plus the added mass (425# vs 358#).

The 22124 has some extra minor features like the laminate extension, foldup outfeed, crosscut fence/hold down, and 40T Leitz blade. The 22124 has 12" wings giving it 44" of CI surface...not sure about the 36-715. I believe the Delta has a longer standard warranty, and probably better name for resale.

I've been happy with my 22124, as are others, but owners of the Delta seem pleased too. If price were close, I'd opt of the 22124...if the Delta were significantly less, it should serve you well too.

Guy Germaine
09-21-2007, 7:12 AM
Scott said it well. I've had my 22124 for around a year and a half, and it's done everything I've asked of it. I'm very happy with it.

J. Greg Jones
09-21-2007, 7:17 AM
I had a 36-717 for a little over a year and I liked it a lot. As Scott mentioned, the 22124 and the 36-717 are more alike than different, so the choice between the two comes down to a few small features and personal preferences. It is easier to adjust the trunnions on the 22124 as they are cabinet mounted. I installed the PALS system ($20) on my Delta which makes it easier to adjust. I believe the nearly 75# weight difference between the two saws that Scott mentioned is not so much due to the trunnion designs, rather it is because the 22124 includes an outfeed table while the Delta does not.

Resale value on the Delta should be much better, assuming the saw has been well cared for. I sold mine because of a great price that Amazon was having on a 3 HP Jet, and I got more money for the Delta than what the Jet cost me. I had added a couple of options to the Delta like the Delta outfeed table and a Shark Guard, but I thought that $875 for a used 36-717 was a good resale value. I don't think that you could go wrong with either one, but if the price of the two saws were pretty close, I'd buy the Delta myself.

Jay Radke
09-21-2007, 10:04 AM
the weight different isn't because of the outfeed table. it weighs no where near 75#. Its quite light. I just finished setting up my 22124 last sunday after the thrilling Packer victory over the Gmen. I was amazed at how quiet the 22124 is with the Leitz blade. It has this nice humming sound and made some smooth cuts. I found my set up to be quite simple other than some missing hardware for the fence, which was sent in a few days with no hassle what so ever.

Now all I have to do is to all the fine adjustments when I get my TS alinger.

J. Greg Jones
09-21-2007, 12:44 PM
I was not suggesting that the outfeed table on the 22124 weighs 75#. I don't know what the actual weight of any of the parts are, but I do believe that the biggest difference between the published weights of the saws can be explained by the inclusion of the table with the 22124. In other words, the trunnion system on the 22124 does not weigh 67# more than the trunnion system on the Delta.