PDA

View Full Version : Paint - Pre Finished Plywood (UV type)

Peter Elliott
09-20-2007, 8:53 PM
Has anyone had success or failure painting pre finished plywood. Clear coat, UV dried kind.

I need to paint some end panels white for kitchen cabinets. Just never had to in the past.

Any do's or don'ts would be appreciated.

Not sure if I should scuff the plywood or leave it glass smooth.

I plan on a primer but not sure if I can skipt this step since it's "sealed" by the clear coat.

Thanks
Peter

ps. I will try a sample piece, just looking to see if others played first.

Steve Schoene
09-20-2007, 9:15 PM
You definately want to scuff the surface--it doesn't have to be much--320 grit will be fine. Primer depends on the particular paint you have in mind.

Peter Elliott
09-21-2007, 10:16 AM
Steve, top coat will be a Sherwin Williams Acrylic, in white.

So have you shot this plywood?

Thanks
Peter

Steve Schoene
09-21-2007, 10:55 AM
I've used a little pigmented Oxford USL on pre-finished ply that came out well--no primer. I don't see why the S-W wouldn't work fine, it shouldn't have solvents that would disturb the factory finish. A small test can never be amiss--brushing on some scrap would be a tougher test than spraying so you don't have to clean equipment for a small test. (Brushing is a tougher test because the mechanical action accentuates any problem that might be occurring through solvents interferring with the existing film.)

Peter Elliott
09-21-2007, 11:09 AM
Thanks,

will do a sample, was in the plans too. I try with primer and out.

Now if I could find a glue for this plywood. Tried titebond II and III. No luck. my 3yr old could break the joint.

Not willing to use the Gorilla glue, to much foaming

Thanks again
Peter

Steve Schoene
09-21-2007, 5:43 PM
I think the glue front is more challenging. I have always scraped finish away from places to be glued--and used more dado and rabbets than butt joints to avoid relying on glue.

Chris Mann
09-21-2007, 6:05 PM
roo glue would probably work. bonds melamine like a champ.