PDA

View Full Version : small give away projects

chris ormsby
09-20-2007, 8:41 PM
Thanks to all for the info here. I have been browzing here for a while but this is my first post. I am looking for small project plans. Hopefully Christmas gifts if all goes well. I have a large extended family with several kids. I do have a fairly well equipped shop. Cabinet TS, 19" in BS, 13" planer, 8" jointer, router table w/ 3.5 hp porter cable. drill press, 2 RAS's, 12 compound miter saw. 4ft lathe, 6" wide belt sander, 1" wide belt sander. I have spent the last 20plus yrs building up my shop, and now can't seem to find the time to use it. 1 and 2 yr olds at home. 10 hr work days and moms and grams house to care for too! I guess I am looking for "scrap wood projects" to justify the basement I am not budging from.
thanks Chris Ormsby

Gary Breckenridge
09-20-2007, 11:26 PM
Unless you live in the poor house you may want to forget the idea of scrap wood projects. If you make an heirloom toy and it gets passed down to your future grandchildren what does it matter if it cost $15 instead of $.98. Figuring my tools, time and materials investment my goal is the best project that I can make.:cool: Some of the projects I have made for kids are a small oak toybox, a basic and heavy duty toy truck out of walnut and oak and an oak pull toy that looks like the Loch Ness Monster.:cool: A basic puzzle out of walnut and cherry could be a great gift for a toddler. Kids like interactive toys. Go for it.:)

joe greiner
09-21-2007, 8:29 AM
Bandsaw with 1/8" blade and cool blocks: 3D puzzle cubes. Here's a link:

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=22

and/or Google [bandsaw puzzles] if the link gets pulled.

Make additional cuts for more complexity for the older nieces and nephews. Make sure all pieces are too large to be swallowed.

Lathe: Weedpots from firewood or whatever for adults. No plans. Just drill a hole in one face and wing it.

Joe

scott spencer
09-21-2007, 8:58 AM
Welcome to SMC Chris!

Clocks can be fairly simple and inexpensive to make, depending on the age group you're targeting. Picture frames, simple wall shelves, mirrors, decorative lamps, cuttitng boards, etc., are simple non-toys too.

For families with younger kids, you could build a toy box or play table/chairs as a group gift. You could also built a tool tote as a simple single gift.

Good luck...and post some pics when you're done!

Mark Hulette
09-21-2007, 9:01 AM
There are tons of things you can do with scrap if you have a lathe, bandsaw and stationary sander.

I made some cute little angel ornaments of differing sizes that were really popular last year. Sorry I don't have any pics available but I think you can find the how-to at woodturningonline's website.