PDA

View Full Version : Just another clock

Ken Shoemaker
09-20-2007, 7:03 PM
We saw a picture of a clock like this and thought it would look good in the family room. I had my marching orders....:o

The highlites;

Quater-sawn White Oak
Black Walnut accents
Two coats of BLO
Four coats of Satin Arm-R-SealI thank you all for looking and ask for your honest feedback, be it good, bad, or ugly. I'm pretty new, so I can't fix what I see. Thanx again - Ken

Ken Shoemaker
09-20-2007, 7:06 PM
I tried make it a little bigger

Nancy Laird
09-20-2007, 7:07 PM
Ken, I really like this clock. Did you design it or make it from plans? Would you share?

Nancy (92 days)

Jim Becker
09-20-2007, 7:09 PM
Another...outstanding...clock, you mean! I really like that, too, especially the beautiful wood face. It really sets the piece off with some uniqueness!

Ken Shoemaker
09-20-2007, 7:12 PM
Thanks Nancy,

No plans, just saw a picture. I cut pieces of paper out to get an idea of the scale of the elements.

I have been experimenting on drawing it in Sketch Up. IF i'm ever able to master that thing, I'd be glad to share....

BTW congrats on being a "short-timer"....

Bruce Page
09-20-2007, 7:12 PM
Very nice Ken. What are its measurements?

John Buzzurro
09-20-2007, 7:17 PM
Ken,

I really like this clock. You did a great job. The walnut accents look good with the QSWO. Just my humble opinion here - the only thing I might have done differently would be to use QSWO for the top instead of the walnut.

BTW, how do you like Arm-R-Seal? I'm thinking of trying it out.

Ken Shoemaker
09-21-2007, 4:01 AM
The clock is 30" H X 12" W.
The rails and stiles are 3/4 QSWO.
The 9x9 clock face is resawn as is the back of the clock.
The bottom, arched board, is 4" H.
The spindles are 3/4" wide.
The top moulding was made by running the piece diagonaly across a table saw blade.John, Arm-R-Cell is great stuff. Easy for a first timer like me. I will find a better way to apply it though. I used a foam brush and think it goes on to thick. Maybe I'll use a rolled rag like Norm does.

Thanks to all for looking.

scott spencer
09-21-2007, 6:27 AM
That's a beaut Ken! Looks like alot of original ideas going on...very nice!

Gary Keedwell
09-21-2007, 7:21 AM
Outstanding....The QSWO is a standout.;)
Gary K.

James Phillips
09-21-2007, 8:12 AM
[LIST=1]
John, Arm-R-Cell is great stuff. Easy for a first timer like me. I will find a better way to apply it though. I used a foam brush and think it goes on to thick. Maybe I'll use a rolled rag like Norm does.

Thanks to all for looking.

Great looking clock.

By the way Arm R Seal is designed to be wiped, not brushed. It says not to, but I still thin mine with MS. Put it on very thin with a cloth and the finish will be flawless every time

jonathan snyder
09-22-2007, 12:52 AM
It s all good! Nothing bad or ugly about that. I like the walnut!

Jonathan

Jason Tuinstra
09-22-2007, 1:30 AM
Ken, the clock has a ton of appeal to it. Wow. Very easy on the eyes. Nice job.

Jon Lanier
09-22-2007, 1:44 AM
Great job on that, Ken! I like that ... making it up as you go off the picture. I do that a lot but probably not for the same reasons. That way no one can go back on my plans and see how I actually screwed it up. LOL

Ken Shoemaker
09-22-2007, 2:03 PM
Thanks to all for your comments... Lots to think about. I didn't know Arm-R-Seal was supposed to be wiped on. I always thought it went on a bit thicker than I liked it. Also, interesting that it can be thinned a little.
Well, I guess it's true what they say, "Build and Learn"...:D

Jules Dominguez
09-22-2007, 10:43 PM
Ken, that is a very attractive clock. Great job!