PDA

View Full Version : WANTED Insect / Bug / Dinosaur files

pete hagan
09-20-2007, 4:53 PM
I am substitute teaching at a couple of elementary schools this fall and I'd like to make some of these pop apart and assemble Insect / Bug / Dinosaur models. Since it's out of my pocket I'd like to cut them myself versus buying them retail.

http://www.aberyco.com/storeimages/e027.jpghttp://www.aberyco.com/storeimages/e033.jpg

Here are a couple of samples that are over $4 US and since I have about 80 kids I want to give these to I really can't afford the commercial versions.

Anyone with files I would appreciate the share.

Pete

Bill Cunningham
09-20-2007, 9:59 PM
You could always print them, or convert these to laser files..

http://cp.c-ij.com/english/3D-papercraft/science/index.html

Jim Good
09-21-2007, 1:05 AM
Buzz has a new "Toychest" kit that includes the bugs/insects. Go to Laserbuzz Software website and click on the Toychest icon on the home page. Scroll down to kit 7.

These are vector files and can be resized to make smaller models, if needed. This would get the cost per unit much lower.

I hope this helps!

Jim

Gregg Vaughn
09-21-2007, 9:46 AM
epiloglaser.com has a couple on their site for free.

Brian Robison
09-21-2007, 10:11 AM
Pete, tell the teacher congrats on the new baby.

(Just guessing)

George Elston
09-21-2007, 5:22 PM
Here's a T-rex

Was running out the door as I saw your post. Here's more info. Don't know where I got this file, but did a little digging and found it. The tabs are not the best in the world, but it looks like it made for doorskin. Try a lumber supply in your area, door skin is very cheap, usually $5-$6 a 3'x7' sheet, and they will cut it down to your table size for a few dollars more. Perfect for those school projects. The last time I bought some I think it came out to 50 cents a sheet for may 12x18 table. The biggest problem is getting it to lay flat. I use divers weights and cut half the sheet then move the weights to the other side and cut the opposite. Good luck and have fun

Vicky Orsini
09-27-2007, 9:36 AM
I've seen other animals for sale as well - swans, lions, etc... Has anyone ever found other suppliers for plans, other than LaserBuzz?

pete hagan
09-27-2007, 7:44 PM
Thanks everyone for the files.

The school I'm helping out at has a dolphin as their mascot. Anyone have a vector?

Pete

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>NEVER MIND>>>>>>>>>>>>> I didn't search before asking!

Kevin Huffman
09-28-2007, 3:29 PM
Here is some really ones I had sitting the back.
We used to cut these when we first started selling lasers.
It is of 3 different dinosuars, 1 butterfly and a spider.
I have an ant one somewhere but I can't seem to find it right now.

Vicky Orsini
09-28-2007, 6:11 PM
Kevin, those files are great! Would you happen to have the assembly instructions lying around? :)

Kevin Huffman
10-01-2007, 5:08 PM
Hello All,

I am very sorry for my mess up. I should not have posted those images because they are copy righted. I did not know this or I would not have ever posted them. They were given to us many years ago by one of our manufacturers. I was completely unaware and I did not check.

If you are going to use these images please make sure you have contacted the person/company who has the copy right and get their written permission and pay any royalties that are needed.

Again I am very sorry.

Vicky Orsini
10-02-2007, 10:08 AM
Kevin, I'd gladly pay to get the legal right to use those files. Could you let us know who the owner is so that we can contact them properly? I know the bugs can be found at Laserbuzz.com, but I don't know where the dinosaurs are from. Thanks!

Keith Outten
10-02-2007, 12:23 PM
Vicky,

There is a great book called "Make Your Own Dinosaurs" by Danny A. Downs published by Fox Chapel Publishing that has plans for 7 dinosaurs. You would have to scan them then convert them to vector but the plans are worth the list price of the book which is $14.95.

ISBN # 1-56523-244-5

I purchased the book and although I haven't had time to convert the plans to vector format I hope I will be able to in the near future.

I also found some dino plans on the ShopBot Forum and at a couple other locations but I don't know if they are in the public domain...I do know that Epilog has a free plan for the Raptor on their web site.

Kevin Huffman
10-02-2007, 4:07 PM
To be honest, I have not idea. The images were given to us about 4 or 5 years ago.

Keith Outten
10-18-2007, 9:22 AM
Pete,

Check out this site, it is German but there are lots of DWG files to download.

This link has been removed because it was brought to my attention that the site may contain files that are owned by LaserBuzz.
I appologize to Tom and his company for the error.
It is impossible these days to know who owns what, our only recourse is to remove links to material that violates anyone's copyright when it is brought to our attention.
There are many sources for these kinds of files and many are owned by companies other than LaserBuzz...some have been released to the public domain but it seems the majority have not.

Tom Buzz Bernard
10-18-2007, 9:43 AM
Keith,
I am surprised at this, you can go overseas and find downloadable videos, music, and copyright files that are not legal to share in the USA.
Because you can find it overseas does not make it legal to share, post, or use it, if it is copyrighted.

I see some questionable designs on this link?

Keith Outten
10-18-2007, 12:49 PM
Tom,

We don't have any means of verifying the copyright of material on any web site whether it is within the continental US or overseas. I picked this link up this morning on another Forum I frequent and knew that some of our Members were looking for these kinds of files so I added the link. Some of these are legal to download and use as they have been donated to the public domain such as the plan on Epilog's web site...at least I hope it is legal since Epilog has had the file available for over a year.

Note that I didn't post the files here at The Creek as I didn't know and did not have the time to verify ownership. I agree this is a huge intellectual property rights problem but I certainly don't know how or if it will ever be solved. If the property doesn't have a physical copyright on it how can anyone be upset with an individual if the files are downloaded unknowingly. Doesn't the owner have some responsibility to protect their property when they know full well that anything digital will be pirated by the masses as soon as it is uploaded the first time.

Our responsibility is to remove links or files that are illegal as soon as we are appraised of their existence, that is all we can do and I removed the link as soon as I got your PM. We have no interest in promoting piracy of software or other digital media here. We do share literally thousands of pictures and drawings here so an inadvertent link or file attachment that is not legal will undoubtedly happen.

The link I posted was legal, however as I already stated our policy is not to promote any kind of piracy in any way, so I removed the link. Don't be surprised Tom, it is a common occurrence this day and time and I expect you already know it is rampant and out of control.

Aaron and I own a program that he spent a huge amount of time to provide internal protection to prevent theft of our property. Even so we know it is impossible to protect our software from the more knowledgeable pirates. It is something we just have to live with I guess.

Tom Buzz Bernard
10-18-2007, 3:00 PM
Thank you Keith, we understand.

We have shared and posted some designs of our own to help others and we hope to do more in the future. We have been designing die cuts for almost 20 years, wait it has been longer than that - where do the years go?

Latin America is just as bad as Asian countries on copyright laws, but the big market is USA for goods. So when they steal a copyright design or trademarked item and produce the products, the distributor in the USA has the obligation to make sure they have a legal product.

It is certainly even harder when the use of a program can be hidden because no actual designed products are made. Here is the rub; If someone knows they did not design it and they did not buy it from someone with legal use to run, then they are knowingly trying to close your business by stealing your intellectual property. I wonder why they feel like the victims when they have to pay the fine, legal fees or their business is closed down?