View Full Version : tear out

ryan kelley
09-19-2007, 9:44 PM
I went to the park and got a couple of pieces, when I cut one up and turned it the tear out was more than anything I had ever seen. I think it is maple, it was an orangish heartwood and white sapwood (when green). Is this normal when you turn "green" wood.

Jim Becker
09-19-2007, 9:58 PM
Most often, tear out is the result of a dull tool or a tool presented to the wood in such a way that it's not cutting cleanly. ("Dull" is relative...it may look sharp, but there is "sharp" and there is "SHARP"...) That said, there are sometimes piece of wood that just will not cooperate!

ryan kelley
09-19-2007, 10:48 PM
I tried using my spraper with a burr, w/o burr, high, low, on center. tried using my skew as a plane. This bothers me because it is good looking wood and I have so much I don't want to waste it.

Steve Trauthwein
09-20-2007, 6:23 AM
You might try some sanding sealer, lacquer, or shellac to stabilize the area that is tearing out before your final cut. A burr on a negative rake scraper is probably your best bet. With M2 steel you have 15 seconds of cutting time before your burr is gone, then back to the grinder.

Regards, Steve