PDA

View Full Version : Community Woodworking in Keene/Brattleboro?

John Pennisi
09-19-2007, 9:03 PM
I recently moved to Keene, NH and am curious as to whether there are any community woodworking shops or craft schools that offer open shop hours, or a membership to use a shop. Just moved from Burlington, VT where there were at least two such places. One was a community woodworkers shop and the other was an art center that one paid to take classes and also get limited use of the shop. Any one know of anything similar in the Southern NH/VT areas (particularly Keene/Brattleboro)? I'm currently in withdrawal from a common place to work on wood with others. Thanks to any responders.

Chris Foley
09-19-2007, 10:20 PM
John,

If there is somehere that knows of one I am sure that they will get back with you. I am in the same predicament in Houston! I am down to looking for space to rent to get my shop together!

Chris

CPeter James
09-20-2007, 9:55 AM
Not a shop, but check out this link to the Guild Of New Hampshire Woodworkers. We have members all over the state and there are some in your area. Our annual meeting is this Saturday in Loudon, NH.

www.gnhw.org

http://smf.websterridge.com/

CPeter

Dave Dionne
09-20-2007, 12:29 PM
Have you tried the Keene High school? Some of my local high schools offer shop time at night as a way to offset the cost of having them.

I will check with my cousins that live there and see if they know of any.
Keene is a nice little city hope you enjoy it there, to far a drive for you but I live on the seacoast if you get to jinky.

What part of Keene do you you live in? I was raised on South Lincoln Street about 3 blocks from Main Street.

I'll let you know if I find anything

Dave

John Pennisi
09-22-2007, 12:58 PM
Dave- I'll check Keene High School; I've actually gotten the same suggestion from a guy I asked at a local building materials store. I've also been advised that there is a place in Troy, NH to buy hardwoods, yet I haven't had the chance to go. Any other suggestions on places in Southern NH/VT to buy hardwoods? I used to work at Northend Hardwoods in Burlington, VT which had a great selection of various domestics and some nice exotics. I actually now live in Alstead, about 20 minutes north of Keene on Lake Warren. Have a little barn on the property that I'm going to use for some small scale woodworking. Thanks for checking with your cousin who lives nearby; I'll be looking forward to any information you find out..

Al Weber
09-22-2007, 3:05 PM
I live just over the hills from you in Sullivan and am not aware of any groups in the area other than the Guild of NH Woodworkers that occasionally holds meetings in the Keene area. There is a wood store in Troy, Tomilla Bro's, but I think they don't do much in hardwood any longer but they are worth a try. I make the drive to Highland Hardwoods in Brentwood (about 1 1/2 hour drive each way) as they have the best quality and generally pretty decent, although somewhat higher, pricing. When Tomilla was selling hardwoods, I bought from them and they were extremely low cost but you had to find someone to bring out wood stacks to sort through which wasn't the greatest fun in the winter time. They are good people though but Highland is just a more "upscale" but also more expensive option. They do have high quality and an excellent selection.

I've a barn with a mixed woodworking barn shop along with equipment storage, equipment maintenance work, etc. which requires some compromises but it works. Although I can heat with wood, I generally do little work in the shop in January and February as it just takes too much work to keep in warm.

Hunter Wallace
09-22-2007, 4:36 PM
John,

Welcome to our beautiful neck of the woods.
You could try Keene High, but I don't think they
do much "after hours" stuff. I've spoken to the
guy/teacher who oversees the shop and I think
his concern is the added cost & time spent putting
the shop back in order after extracurricular woodworking.
There's a wood shop and fantastic professor at Keene
State that may be of help to you as well.
And there's a super-cool lumber supplier in Lunenburg, MA.
just down Route 12 (ok, maybe about 50 minutes ;) called
The Woodery www.wooderylumber.com (http://www.wooderylumber.com) . I know it may
be blasphemy, but I prefer it, by a LOT, over Highland
Hardwoods...

I live about 40 minutes north of Keene and teach at
Keene State a couple days a week, so maybe we'll bump
into each other somewhere!

Dave Dionne
09-22-2007, 7:55 PM
Alstead
My sister just sold her log cabin and 50 acres in Acworth last year not to far the Bascoms sugaring operation. The Bascom buys where close friends of my nephews, niece area will never be the same since the floods, I use to do a fair amount of trout fishing in that area.

If you make the drive to Highlands I live about 20 minutes from there I will meet you there an dmake you lunch

Dave