PDA

View Full Version : Whats yer workshop shoe?

Bill Brehme
09-19-2007, 8:33 PM
I'm asking this on the general woodworking forum because I am trying to target answers from specifically woodworkers in a shop environment. What is your shoe of choice for grinding out sawdust in front of a bench hour after hour. My all-time fave is no longer in production and are coming apart at the seams and need some tried and true perspective. Shoe reviews from some yuppie in a cubicle does me no good! Help my dogs are howlin'.

Jack Briggs
09-19-2007, 8:35 PM
Sandals.......

Mike Heidrick
09-19-2007, 8:39 PM
This month - $10 Rugged shoes from Farm and Fleet on clearence. I wear out shoes about ever 6 months. I rotate the shop/fishing/tractor shoes from the casual tennis shoes I wear out and about. Used to be very picky but the $$ keeps going up on Nike so I have found it is cheaper to buy clearence brands as long as they fit correctly and are comfortable. No Sandals for me, I am a socks and shoes kinda guy.

IAFF Brian
09-19-2007, 8:41 PM
I go for my old work duty boots. They are made by hi tech, steel toe and have zippers so its easy to kick em off before coming inside the house. Of course my wife makes fun of me all the time for wearing shorts and 10" boots but what do I care what I look like in the garage, as long as my feet are comfy im all good:p

Gary Keedwell
09-19-2007, 9:17 PM
Shoe reviews from some yuppie in a cubicle does me no good! Help my dogs are howlin'.[/quote]
:eek: Ah ohhh!!! That should limit the responses.:rolleyes: :D

Gary K.

Bill Brehme
09-19-2007, 9:30 PM
Shoe reviews from some yuppie in a cubicle does me no good! Help my dogs are howlin'.
:eek: Ah ohhh!!! That should limit the responses.:rolleyes: :D

Gary K.[/quote]

Well, OK... OK. How about 'yuppies in a cubicle who make shavings evenings/weekends OK'.;)

Sorry yuppies!:rolleyes:

Cody Colston
09-19-2007, 9:32 PM
After my "good" sneakers get dingy, I relegate them to shop/outdoor shoes and get another pair of good ones.

You can be assured that I will NEVER pay $80 - $100 for a pair of sneakers. I get mine at Payless. ;)

I have to wear steel-toed shoes at work and even though they are Redwings, I still detest them. No way I'm going to wear anything like that at home.

Charles Wilson
09-19-2007, 9:39 PM
Birkenstocks are my first choice. Beat up sneakers are my second.

Brian Penning
09-19-2007, 9:41 PM
Crocs -awesome cushioning and comfortable.
Butt ugly though.

Bill Brehme
09-19-2007, 9:46 PM
Yea, I haven't found a pair of steel toes that have a toe box wide enough where it doesn't tear up my feet. Had a pair of Red Wings, after a weekend of yardwork they went straight to Goodwill. $:eek: $ YOW!!!

Eric Gustafson
09-19-2007, 9:52 PM
I wear Z-coils. They are like walking on a thick rubber mat.

Jim Becker
09-19-2007, 9:53 PM
Athletic Shoes...currently my white K-Swiss footwear. I rotate the previous generation of "dress sneakers" to shop use when I buy pristine new ones for everyday wear.

Bill Brehme
09-19-2007, 10:02 PM
I wear Z-coils. They are like walking on a thick rubber mat.

Are those made by Nike?

Gary Keedwell
09-19-2007, 11:24 PM
Don't laugh.....Dr. Scholl:o

Gary K

Josiah Bartlett
09-19-2007, 11:34 PM
Wescos when I'm making dust, old sneakers when I'm not.

Chuck Lenz
09-19-2007, 11:44 PM
Ok, whats goin on now ? Is Norm comeing out with a line of shop shoes ? Measure twice, fit once !

mike roe
09-19-2007, 11:48 PM
a 8 year old pair of new balance sneakers - the sole is coming off on of them - it looks like itll be a slipper soon the rubber is coming right off the fabric part... maybe ill just glue it but they are still the best sneakers i ever had.

I also bought maybe 30 bucks worth of the foam floor pads from harbor frieght - huge difference.

glenn bradley
09-20-2007, 12:58 AM
My favorites are also no longer made. At least not with the quality they used to be made and the price is higher. They are a dead issue after almost 20 years and 4 pairs (that's how long they used to last).

Now, like Cody my sneakers move from regular wear to shop wear once they get beat. New Balance cross-trainers for me but, I wear extra wide. I think the key here is what is comfortable for you?

In the summer I am in sandals when not doing things that are unsafe in sandals. I also have rubber mats at my workstations. These go a long way toward a comfortable time in the shop.

Note the shoes and floor, not the magnified cursor fix:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=55575&d=1169337075

Eric Gustafson
09-20-2007, 1:18 AM
Are those made by Nike?

No. They are made by Z-coil. My wife started nursing this year. Many of the nurses wear these since they are on their feet for 12 hours days. Just like a woodworker!;)

I complained about my feet and she gave me money to get a pair. Not cheap. ~$200! Now in my house I take big notice when money is coming in my direction. (It normally goes the other way.) These are the ugliest shoes on the planet, but they are remarkably comfortable.

http://www.zcoil.com/

Greg Funk
09-20-2007, 1:47 AM
Croc sandals - very comfortable provide you don't drop anything on your toes...

Pat Keefe
09-20-2007, 5:55 AM
Blundstone safety boots. I have habit of dropping stuff on my toes. I have 1/2" rubber matting throughout my shed for comfort/tool protection:)

Rick Hubbard
09-20-2007, 6:59 AM
My all time favorite is the Red Wing 6611 Mens Oxford with a steel toe. I just bought a new pair to replace another pair that I had worn for about 8 years. Good shoes are critical to prevent damage to to the foot's bone structure (and even knees and hips), so this is one "shop tool" I would never even THINK about compromising on!

John Revilla
09-20-2007, 9:54 AM
Wolverine Steeltoes for me. I don't enjoy banging my toe nails when I drop something, which is happening more and more than usual. Godspeed.

Keith Beck
09-20-2007, 9:57 AM
Whatever I've got on my feet at the time! Most of the time it's my Birkenstocks just because I'm lazy and they're easy to just slip on as I head out to the shop. It can be a pain in the butt when I get a lot of wood chips in them though. :D

For me, the shoe I'm wearing doesn't make that much difference, but having rubber mats to stand on instead of a hard concrete floor makes all the difference in the world.

Keith

Tom Hamilton
09-20-2007, 10:02 AM
Another vote for Crocs because of the comfort. I've switched to Crocs from boat shoes for everyday and my 60 year old feet and legs don't talk to me like they used to.

You can get them in camo, industrial grey or nearly any other color to match you equipment and shop decor. And only $30. Mustard anyone?

Best regards,

Tom, in Houston, with four pairs of Crocs.

Ryan Hovis
09-20-2007, 10:28 AM
Merrell hikers with Dr. Scholl's most expensive insoles. Also worn to work.

Al Willits
09-20-2007, 10:47 AM
Well...as I sit here in my cubicle I look down and see New Balance, when these wear enough they become shop shoes, but I buy the ones with the most support and design for active wear I can.

Al....who may be in a cubicle, but he ain't no stinkin' yuppie...:)

Jim Heffner
09-20-2007, 11:03 AM
In warm weather like we have been having around here this year...for me...Reef flip flops all the time!

Benjamin Dahl
09-20-2007, 11:26 AM
I prefer tassled loafers but generally wear running shoes and stand on a rubber/foam mat. I think the mat was the biggest improvement for my feet, legs and back. I like crocs but the holes do allow for chips and shavings to get in.
Ben

Ted Baca
09-20-2007, 11:31 AM
I wear Worx Oxfords with a Vubram Flat sole and orthotic inserts. But I am finding that the Vibram gets slick from the sawdust. So I may have to change or even more drastic sweep the floor.

Michael Lutz
09-20-2007, 11:53 AM
Lately I have been wearing, slip on mocassins from cabelas. They are comfortable.

Mike

Mickey Elam
09-20-2007, 12:26 PM
I have to second the vote for Crocs!! I wear them with socks, which amuses my wife to no end, but you can't beat them for comfort, especially when standing for long periods of time.

Rod Sheridan
09-20-2007, 12:59 PM
Workboots with steel toes.

Come on, CROCS in a shop????

Obviously worn by people who never drop anything!

regards, Rod.

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-20-2007, 1:12 PM
sneakers. I like Merrill

David Weaver
09-20-2007, 1:20 PM
A pair of running shoes for me - they offer the most support.

When I was working in a cabinet factory on concrete floors, steel toe was a requirement - I never found one that was comfortable - best I could suggest was a plain old leather workboot about 1/2 size too large and with a runners insole in the boot to support your arch.

I'm too lazy now to run, but I sure do like how comfortable a pair of properly fitted running shoes can be.

Mike Spanbauer
09-20-2007, 1:25 PM
From a yuppie in a cubicle :P (who worked trades for a decade prior to corporate life)

I have an all concrete floor, and no simple solution for that so I opt for serious footwear.

I wear Echo boots. They are extremely comfortable for me as I have stupid wide feet (3E). @ 6'3" 220, I am putting some serious weight on them as well. The Echo's I've owned in the past (wore them while doing low volt electrical) lasted for 2-3 yrs a pair and were amazingly comfortable. This pair I have now I've owned for 9 months and look as good as new.

If I wear bad footwear while working in the shop for a day (Sat and Sun usually have 4-7 hour sessions) I have lower back pain for a day (reason I exited the trades). These boots are not cheap, but a day's pain everytime I work in the shop was worth it.

The most valuable advice I can offer is to ensure you know precisely what your foot width / shape is. If you really want a comfortable shoe, go to a good shoe store and get some accurate sizing assistance. My 9.5-10 / 3E was causing me many issues finding a shoe that fits right. Until I found the Echo's, I just resigned myself to dealing w/ it... when I found them.. woah, what relief!

G'luck.

mike

Jamie Smith
09-20-2007, 2:58 PM
Another vote for crocs. Up until I got them, I was wearing a pair of merrell clogs. Easy to kick off so I don't drag dust everywhere.

julie Graf
09-20-2007, 3:45 PM
crocs for the light days, but when i'm moving stuff around or milling stuff out, i wear keens. same wide toe box as crocks, but more coverage.

i would wear steel toes boots, but i lost mine and can't find a pair i like in my size. they don't make many options for "the ladies"

John W. Willis
09-20-2007, 5:15 PM
Propet walkers, wide base, very comfortable especially for my size 15s. About $55.00.

Mark Engel
09-20-2007, 7:05 PM
I get most of my foot wear from Sportsmans Guide.

What I currently use in the shop is a pair of Rocky steel toed sneakers. Very comfortable and with toe protection for my klutzier moments. I think I paid about $30.00 for the pair.

Bruce Page
09-20-2007, 7:15 PM
Sandals in the summertime, tennies in the winter.

Rubber mats in front of the bench and machines.

Don Hein
09-20-2007, 8:21 PM
LA Gear Street Hiking slip-ons. Last time they were on clearance at Big5 sporting goods for $20, I bought two pair. They have great tread, good cushion, and wear like iron. Also, Costco foam mats in front of the workbench and a ribbed black rubber hall runner in front of the tablesaw.

Bill Brehme
09-20-2007, 8:43 PM
Wow, thanks for all the responses one and all!
The Crocs seem to be the overwhelming majority, along with Merrells, and Birkenstocks and misc tennis shoes.
All this croc talk got me thinking about clogs: Easy slip on/off, podiatric correctness (not just good for your feet, but also your knees, back and overall posture). Read alot of testimonies from chefs, teachers, surgeons etc (people on their feet all day) on how awesome these dansko clogs are. Both open and closed back versions. But at $120 ?:eek: Hmmm. I guess it would be worth it in savings on foot, knee, lumbar problems.

In a society of croc wearers, one could skate by fairly unnoticed in the better toe protection of a thick leather clog. :cool:

Who am I convincing... You or me?:confused: :D

Bill Wyko
09-20-2007, 8:45 PM
FLIP FLOPS and quick reaction time.:o I know I'm gonna regret it some day.:(

Joe Mioux
09-20-2007, 8:58 PM
Danner Hunting Boots with 200 grams of Thinsulate, is my all time favorite foot wear.

Why? because, they breathe, they are water proof, they are warm and they are cool.

But most importantlye they provide the best support and protection to my feet.

Unfortunately, my local hunting outfitter went out of business, so I am relegated to Rockports walking shoes.

I have also been know to work in top-siders.

But for safety and comfort, a very good pair of hunting boots work really well in a woodworking environment.

Joe

Steve Clardy
09-20-2007, 9:02 PM
Black tennis shoes

julie Graf
09-20-2007, 9:05 PM
i have danskos and LOVE Them - not sure i would wear them in the shop though. perhaps when i get rich! they do take a little getting used to - wearing them.
i have also heard "earth" shoes are really nice. again, perhaps when i get rich....

Bill Brehme
09-20-2007, 9:09 PM
I tried the flip flop route for a short time. Too many bloodied toes from cutoff pieces or catching that corner coming around the sawhorse of my makeshift workbench, accidently kicking the circular saw sitting on the floor... Sometimes coming into the house w/ bloody toes from who knows what?:confused: :mad:
Living in Florida myself, I can understand the allure... But noooo.

Randy Klein
09-20-2007, 9:10 PM
Now, like Cody my sneakers move from regular wear to shop wear once they get beat. New Balance cross-trainers for me but, I wear extra wide. I think the key here is what is comfortable for you?

Here's another vote for relegating older sneakers to dirtier jobs.

However, I start off the path with the New Balance top of line running shoes. It's about the only thing (besides tools) that I spend good money on for quality, and it makes a difference.

Of course, after shop use, they move to yard work and then dog toys, and then my wife "misplaces" them.

Per Swenson
09-20-2007, 9:40 PM
My work shop shoe....

Oh you meant on my feet?..........

Per

Gary Keedwell
09-20-2007, 10:12 PM
My work shop shoe....

Per
Hey Per...They finally let you out?:eek: Long time no hear. Welcome back.
Gary K.

Andy Pratt
09-20-2007, 11:11 PM
I wear a pair of matterhorn safety toe boots (plastic toe equivalent to steel toe), they've got 200g of insulation for the colder days, not too much to be annoying on the warmer ones. With a good pair of insoles they feel like sneakers. Usually don't tie them up, they stay on pretty well with pant legs over the tops. I've had them for 11 years now and they still function great through 8 years of seasonal use in the army and a few years of deer hunting. I'll give danner's a try someday, but until these wear out, matterhorn has my vote.

Jim C Bradley
09-21-2007, 12:33 AM
Hi,
I figure Crocs must be made in Florida---But where does a Southern Calif. boy buy them?

I'm probably invoking Murphy's law, however I haven't dropped anything worth considering on my toes---yet.

One of my acquaintences said, "Murphy is an optimist."

Enjoy,

Jim

John Thompson
09-21-2007, 12:56 AM
Jump Boots...

Sarge..

Kyle Stiefel
09-21-2007, 1:03 AM
My work shop shoe....

Per

Hey Per...They finally let you out?:eek: Long time no hear. Welcome back.
Gary K.

Yes, I do miss the "Per" perspective on things as well.

Brian Penning
09-21-2007, 6:29 AM
Hi,
I figure Crocs must be made in Florida---But where does a Southern Calif. boy buy them?

I'm probably invoking Murphy's law, however I haven't dropped anything worth considering on my toes---yet.

One of my acquaintences said, "Murphy is an optimist."

Enjoy,

Jim
During my vacation, I saw them at Sport's Authority, maybe also Big 5?

Chris Parks
09-21-2007, 8:26 AM
I hate shoes, barefeet and jump quick if you drop anything. No major injuries in many years of doing this.

Chris Barnett
09-21-2007, 8:59 AM
Don't do the cubicle thing, mine was an engineering office :D , but would rather have my heavy Rockports on my feet than anything else, including slippers. Can be out all day and they support feet well but do have have the waffle stomper soles which are good on the concrete floors; have not found steel or plastic toes to be comfortable and have tried a few.

Steven Wilson
09-21-2007, 10:10 AM
Another vote for Crocs. There are a few different styles available. I use the ones with covered toes. Very comfortable on concrete. On the other hand, if I'm working breaking down lumber and sheet goods then I put on my Red Wing safety steel toe boots (very comfortable use to wear them on offshore rigs)

Greg Narozniak
09-21-2007, 10:22 AM
Running shoes for me, Usually Acsis. Same as others have said, The ones I use in the shop are recycled down from ones I wear out and about. After the shop level they go to Lawn Cutting duty and after that it's off to the garbage due to Dog Poo and Grass stains beyond repair.

If I need boot for some reason (Cutting Trees, Cold outside, etc) I break out the Chippewa 29416. Best boots I have ever owned. I was a Herman Survivor fan for many many years but their build quality went down to the tubes IMHO. The Chips are first rate in Comfort and build quality, No question.

Mike Heaney
09-21-2007, 11:53 AM
My current favorite- steel toe with lots of room and they last a long time (I do drop things on the floor/ my toes- and my wife is a doctor and probably would not let me in the workshop with unprotected toes!). Dr Marten soles also make for a comfortable ride, although I also bought some anti-fatigue flooring that I have in front of the workbench- makes for a comfortable day in the shop!

hope the pic loads too

Mike

Lori Kleinberg
09-21-2007, 1:07 PM
Crocs when it is above 105 degrees, otherwise sneakers.

Ben Grunow
09-21-2007, 8:54 PM
Havent found a great shoe (for me) yet but I do have a padded floor (cosco pack of 24" puzzle pieces, 1/2" thick) and orthotics which are not to be done without.

Jim Dunn
09-21-2007, 9:11 PM
Last years tennis shoes. Course I have to dump the wood chips out of them before I take them off in the bed room.

Philip DiPaolo
09-21-2007, 9:42 PM
i switch -- italian made work boots with vibram soles, or hiking boots by timberland. also wear adidas running shoes sometimes -- but all of these translate to excellent heel cushioning.

after breaking a bone in my foot (the talus) 12+ years ago, i believe it's good inserts and a good fit that matters most. i have always used insoles -- i even double them up for 2 layers -- the doctor scholls work inserts are great ($15/pr).

since i have double E feet, sometimes i end up getting a half sizer larger shoe to accommodate both the width and the inserts. of course i look that much more like a clown because of it, but my feet and my back thank me.

some agree with me on the insoles/orthotics; some swear by the rubber floor pads that restaurants use for their line cooks; others say soft, thick soles are best; and a friend of mine started wearing earth shoes, which apparently are making a comeback (!) yikes, i hated them back in the 70s and now they're back, like a bad penny.

Scott Hayes
09-22-2007, 10:19 AM
Buy at most Farm Stores. Might look like a dork in them, but they have good support, slip on easily when broken in. Loggers on the West Coast wear them after a day of having their dogs in caulk boots.

Carl Crout
09-22-2007, 12:07 PM
Clodhoppers, also know as sh## kickers and workboots.:)

Bill Brehme
09-22-2007, 9:56 PM
I pulled the trigger on a pair of Crocs. Had to drive to several stores to find the pair that has the enclosed toe box. They are called the "Offroad" Croc. Very nice cushion, zero arch support.
Found a store that carried the Dansko Professional (closed back men's clog). Gotta say this was pleasure to try on. when you walk or stand in them... it feels like 2 thumbs being pressed into the ball of your foot during a foot message! OHHHHHHHOOOOHOHO!:o As soon as I can pony up $120 I will be having me a pair of these pups. 3 minutes walking around the store in them, my headache went away (you know, 'that shopping headache?). AWESOME!!!:)

Frank Testa
09-22-2007, 10:21 PM
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w31/FjjT/33046.1.jpg