PDA

View Full Version : How about a favor??

Steve Clardy
09-19-2007, 8:30 PM
Due to the settings on this software, you cannot post the same picture here over one time.

There has been several times that I would have liked to post the same picture again. ;)

I have to go in and change the picture size [an added hassle] to be able to post it again.

Thanks

Steve

Dennis Peacock
09-19-2007, 9:34 PM
Good point Steve and I've had to do the same exact thing. Maybe us old dawgs will have to learn a few new tricks. ;)

Matt Meiser
09-19-2007, 10:09 PM
Yes, I've noticed that you can't even insert the URL of the old one in an img tag. It just shows up as a link. I've wanted to do it maybe 3-4 times ever, but when I do its frustrating.

David Duke
09-19-2007, 10:49 PM
I haven't tried it but would renaming the file make a difference?

Keith Outten
09-20-2007, 6:27 AM
Renaming a file won't necessarilliy trick vBulletin into allowing the same file to be uploaded as it compares file size to the existing pictures in our database and checks both files to see if they are identical.

This is a safety system designed to protect our hard drives. Imagine how much drive space we would have to provide if people could upload the same attachments multiple times. Its not much for an individual but when you think about thousands of Members even small files add up.

Remember you can go to your usercp and find pictures that you have previously uploaded and link to them in new posts. Its not as convienient but it does provide a link to your photo without the thumbnail.

I'm not sure if we can override vBulletins settings or if we would want to, this is something Aaron Koehl would have to investigate.

Jim Becker
09-20-2007, 8:39 AM
Keith, I'm wondering if there might be a way to more easily incorporate previously uploaded images in new posts...as you elude to, searching the UserCP for a graphic isn't a picnic and trying to directly link by other means only results in a text link to the image, rather than displaying it as Matt brings up. I think that's because vBulletin is just not processing those URLs as valid images like it does with a URL from a personal site, for example. Perhaps there is a tweak for vB?

Steve Clardy
09-20-2007, 10:12 AM
I haven't tried it but would renaming the file make a difference?

No doesn't work. You have to reduce or enlarge the file size

glenn bradley
09-20-2007, 10:59 AM
No doesn't work. You have to reduce or enlarge the file size

Hi Steve,

First off, I share your frustration. When you try to post an already posted pic, the error message gives you a link to the thread it was posted in. I use this link, find the pic I want, click it to enlarge and then copy and paste the URL (from the address bar at the top of your browser) into my new thread where I want to show the pic.

This does mean the reader will have to click on the link but, they won't have to go to the thread and page through to find the photo. Kinda like this pic that I have in another thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=47178&d=1158638873

Brian Weick
09-20-2007, 11:07 AM
Hard drive size- it would be outrageous to have to compensate for repeated information to be stored and does not make much business sense and could get quite expensive:eek: . Glen hit the nail on the proverbial head, all you have to do is go to the picture on a prior thread or post that you have and copy the URL and paste it into the new thread- I have done this before and it works great! Not to mention it may contain repeated information if i want to list an area in the thread that I do not want to have to explain all over again in my new post or thread. I think it's more organized as well - yes it would be nice but I have to agree with Glen on this. :) It's not hard at all- just a little hunting , but isn't that what we do on here - search for information.
Brian

David Epperson
09-20-2007, 12:22 PM
It can be done in vBulletin. Though it's a bit involved and does require going back into your UserCP. I just tested it on another vBulletin board I go to (and have used it there before, but did it again just to be sure)

Go to UserCP, Attachments.
Be sure that the attachments are displayed as Thumbnails.
Highlight the particular thumbnail you want to "reuse"
Right click and Copy this.
Go to the post you want to put it in.
Paste it.

The thumbnail will show up and will still act as a link to the larger image.

David Epperson
09-20-2007, 12:31 PM
Just to double check

(http://www.familyfriendsfirearms.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3835&d=1122905272) http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=72276&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1190305537 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=72276&d=1190305537)

Ok. So it doesn't work here. It's not a vBulletin thing, as the other site I visit has recently upgraded to the New vBulletin, and the old allowed it to work there as well. Must be an administration setting here.

Steve Clardy
09-20-2007, 12:42 PM
tn_MiniMax 001.jpg (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=72239&d=1190247439)

Yes. But thats just another hoop to go through to accomplish something.:)