PDA

View Full Version : Model 2640 woodmaster drum sander?

Harley Lewis
09-19-2007, 5:28 PM
A local cabinet shop has a model 2640 woodmaster drum sander for sale, supposedly in good condition. Anyone with experience with this model, and is it worth the $700 asking price? The reason he is selling it is because he is not using it enough to keep it in his shop. I am a hobbiest and this may be overkill, any help or suggestions will be appreciated

Thanks, Harley

Bruce Page
09-19-2007, 7:24 PM
Harley, double check on that model number, I don’t think there’s a 2640 in the lineup. As far as quality goes I don’t think you will find a better made drum sander at any price. I have the 2675 and it is built like a tank. I am very happy with it.

Oh yea, $700 is an excellent price even for their smallest DS.

Harley Lewis
09-20-2007, 9:46 AM
Bruce, this is an older model sander, the 2640 has 4 pinch rollers rather than a conveyer belt that is on the more recent models.

From what I understand the pinch rollers will sometimes not feed the stock if they get slick with dust, and they have to be wrapped with sticky backed sand paper.

My guess is this is a 15 year old machine, but not used a lot. I am still wondering if $700 is a reasonable buy. For a hobbiest this will probably work fine, not so good in a production shop.

If any others out there know of this model, or are acquainted with the pinch roller feed system problems and can chime in please do so.

Harley

David Duke
09-20-2007, 11:02 AM
Harley, I can't speak to the model you're talking about because I have the 2675 also. IMHO however if it uses pinch rollers on the bottom instead of a conveyor at 700.00 I believe I would pass on it, I bought my 2675 used a couple of years ago and paid 1,100.00 for it, fantastic machine. I would be worried about the feeding of stock with the pinch rollers.

Bruce Page
09-20-2007, 7:41 PM
Harley, I can't speak to the model you're talking about because I have the 2675 also. IMHO however if it uses pinch rollers on the bottom instead of a conveyor at 700.00 I believe I would pass on it, I bought my 2675 used a couple of years ago and paid 1,100.00 for it, fantastic machine. I would be worried about the feeding of stock with the pinch rollers.

I have to agree with David. I wouldn't want the pinch rollers.

Alister Orme
09-20-2007, 10:00 PM
I have this model. I bought it used at auction.

The previous owner had rigged up a system to shoot air at the rollers that I don't use.

If the adjustable feed rate is slow and the dust is starting to cake on the board I'll blast it with an air gun every so often.

The height adjustment is guess work on mine as there is no gauge. I don't know if it ever had one. I had thought to install one of those wixey set ups on it and may still.

I like it and have more than squeezed the purchase price $300.00 out of it .

Harley Lewis
09-21-2007, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. I took the trip to look at the machine and I passed on it once I looked it over carefully. I will continue to look for a good used machine and some day one may show up. I doubt this fellow will sell it for what he is asking, I think the $300 Alister paid might have been an ok buy with this unit but he would not budge on price.

Harley