PDA

View Full Version : Good deal on a Delta 14" band saw (28-230)?

Kevin L. Pauba
09-19-2007, 12:09 PM
I have the opportunity to purchase a Delta 28-230 band saw (14" with riser block and enclosed base) for $350 locally. I think it has a 3/4 HP motor which would definitely be pushing it for the 12" resaw capacity but I could probably upgrade later to a 1 or 1.5 HP.

Assuming the wheels, motor, etc. are in good shape, would this purchase be gloatable?

Chuck Lenz
09-19-2007, 12:17 PM
Pretty tough to say without seeing it and hearing it run. Does it come with a fence ? Motors can get expensive.

Kevin L. Pauba
09-19-2007, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the reply Chuck. When I asked the seller if it had the fence he informed me that it was already sold. Guess I'll keep looking.

Since I'm a relative newbie, do you have a few suggestions on what I'm to look for when buying a used model? I've had good luck so far with used WW equipment but am always willing to learn from those with experience.

Later!

Chuck Lenz
09-19-2007, 11:21 PM
Kevin, I don't claim to be a expert at buying used machinery, I have made some buys I wished I hadn't, and some I'm very happy with, but I guess thats how we all learn. My sugestion would be to take your time and look over what ever used tool it is your looking at really good and hear it run. I guess no different then buying a used car. Most used equipment that has been takein care of goes for about half price of new. If it hasn't seen much use and the tool is in high demand it may go higher. Another variable may be what part of the country your in or population. The higher the population, the more potential buyers, but more competition also.

Charlie Plesums
09-20-2007, 12:36 AM
If you are in the market for a 14 inch bandsaw, I recommend you look at the Grizzly G0555. It is virtually identical to the Jet structurally, but has a number of features that led me to sell my Jet and get the Grizzly. When I bought a MM24, I kept the G0555!

Kevin L. Pauba
09-20-2007, 7:41 AM
Great advice Chuck & Charlie. Most of the used items I have bought have never been used (thickness planer), been used only a few times or are simple machines that are easy to check (brad nailer, trim router). I realize that a bandsaw has lots of critical parts so was a little more cautious in my selection.

In my lurking here over the last few months, I see that the Griz tools seem to be a pretty good value. I have my eye on a number of different BSs and Jointers. When I complete a few more projects, I'm sure I can convince the LOML to get them.

Thanks again!

Al Willits
09-20-2007, 8:29 AM
I have basically that saw and if I was going to do a lot of resawing I'd look for more motor, 1 hp would be nice and 1.5hp great.

I have done at least 7" of 5/4 white oak with the timber wolf 3/4" blade and it does work, but it would be nice with more motor, rough guess estimate would say the one hp would work nice.

This is not a saw I'd open a professional shop with, but it does work nice enough for hobbists, especially for the price..imho

Al

Mike Goetzke
09-20-2007, 9:30 AM
From my experience as a hobbyist:

1) $350 seems a little high for a used Delta 14" BS - especially if it has a 3/4 horse.

2) I had a HF 14" w/ a questionably rated 1HP motor, sold it and got a 1HP Delta and there was a world of difference in the power.

3) I have done some re-sawing - maybe up to 8" with red oak. I don't think a 1HP motor would be ideal for 12" re-sawing.

Good luck,

Mike