PDA

View Full Version : Engraving Matboard

James Aldrich
09-19-2007, 12:03 PM
When I engrave matboard, the white core center turns a light brown color. I have tried many settings (speed and power), running multiple passes, and it still turns color. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong. Also is there a way to keep the smoke form staining the matboard. I have tried transfer tape. When I pull the tape off, it tears the paper on the matboard.

Thank You

Jim

Epilog 45W Helix

Brian Robison
09-19-2007, 12:07 PM
Hi James,
When I engrave on paper it does the same thing (only I want it to). I think your stuck with it unfortunately.

Craig Hogarth
09-19-2007, 12:35 PM
Depending on the matboard, I usually go 20 to 45 power and 100 speed with good results. I did play with some matboard I bought at the dollar store and it came out with a dark yellow color, which I assume is the result of burning glue.

Joe Pelonio
09-19-2007, 1:08 PM
I use transfer tape on it all the time, for applying vinyl lettering to matboard. You have to use low tac and pull slowly. Unfortunately if it's on the edge, or in your case the engraved lettering, it will pull the top layer off.

Try placing plain paper on it, with a bit of transfer tape to hold it in place
to engrave through, and see if that helps.

You can also set the power much lower and make 2-3 passes to get cleaner engraving.

James Stokes
09-19-2007, 2:04 PM
You can also spray your tape with re-positional tack spray. This will stop it from sticking as hard.

Mike Null
09-19-2007, 4:15 PM
Reduce your dpi settings to 200 or 300.

Stephen Beckham
09-19-2007, 10:42 PM
The other issue is the substrate of the Matboard. Cheaper mats have acid cores - they will stain everytime by my experience.

Then you have the color cores and the bright white core. The brite white is the only that I was able to etch without discoloring. I use very low power and three-four passes.

Sandra Force
09-20-2007, 7:52 PM
Try using blue painters maskiing tape to engrave over. It doesn't peel the paper up as much as other maskings do. The only way to not get discoloring is good quality matt, fast speed and low power with 3-4 passes. Try cutting your air assist down to a minimal amount also.:o

Robert Alexander
09-20-2007, 10:53 PM
I do alot of cutting on mattboard. and I set my speed at no more than 25 inches per minute for detailed cutting and the least amount of power possible usually around 20 (for less than an 1/8 of an inch )and 500 to 700 frenquency. Also I will put some small bolts in into the honeycomes on my vector table in the areas wher the laser will not be cutting to put some air space between the vector table and the mattboard. AND THE MOST
IMPORTANT ITEM. I will turn the mattboard colored side down and cut. I works great for me everytime.