PDA

View Full Version : Cut through my saw's cord...ARGHHH!!!

Jason White
09-19-2007, 11:32 AM
Bought a new Bosch 1677 worm-drive circ saw and within 2 hours, I managed to cut right through the cord!! I imagine it happened because the cord was still "trained" in a bit of a zig-zag pattern and it got sucked into the blade guard when I lowered the saw down near my side.

Anybody else have this issue? How can I prevent this from happening again? Is there an easy, safe way to splice the two pieces of cord back together?

JW

Bill Huber
09-19-2007, 11:40 AM
Was this again???

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=65404

Brian Weick
09-19-2007, 11:58 AM
Get a new chord-if your mechanically inclined- or you can use this method to repair the chord: Get shrink hose (electrical) Electrical distributing store 1/2" and 1/4" ??? ,slip in the 1/2" shrink hose first over the chord, then splice the leads on both ends, use a shrink hose according to the size of the leads and slip them over the black/white and ground leads first, back it off so you can solder the joints accordingly > ----- ------ in this fashion, not parallel II , slip the wire lead shrink hose back to cover the solder joints on each lead and then use a heat gun/hair dryer to shrink the shrink hose leads then use electrical tape wrap it around all 3 exposed leads to get close to the diameter of the chord itself- then slip the final 1/2" shrink hose back to the area where you made the repairs (hopefully cut to extend on either end)move it back on to the chord and then heat that up to shrink around both the repair and the chord itself and that should do the job- I have done this before and it works out very,very well- it's just hard to get 1/2" black shrink hose for some reason, that's my only gripe.
Hope this helps:)
Brian

Richard M. Wolfe
09-19-2007, 12:17 PM
Put your cord in black iron pipe. :rolleyes: Or do like I do...stand on the cord so the saw won't reach it. But then again, you can't reach the workpiece either.:o

I had a pretty large tree trimming job in the front yard with llimbs and twigs laying everywhere and was doing it with a little electric chainsaw. All at once it quit. Yep. :o Got a gas powered chainsaw now. So maybe a gas powered circ saw?

frank shic
09-19-2007, 12:25 PM
jason, i cut through my jigsaw's power cord while making a circular cutout - DOH!

David DeCristoforo
09-19-2007, 12:31 PM
We did not use handheld saws too often in my shop but when I used to build houses, this happened all the time. Most of the guys had saws with cords that had three or four splices wrapped up with black plastic tape. So don't feel too bad about it. In the shop, the more common thing was to get the cords "sucked up" into the belt sanders.

So....first off, get a new cord unless you want to live with an ugly splice on your shiny new saw. In the future, "loop" the cord and hold onto the loop with the saw handle. Then route the cord over your shoulder. If it's not long enough, use an extension. That way, the cord is completely out of the way. I have gotten in the habit of removing the cord on any new handheld power tool I get and replacing it with a 12 - 20' cord just so I dont need to use extensions. I use bright orange cord so it's easy to see and, therefore, to keep out of the way.

Roland Chung
09-19-2007, 12:36 PM
Look at this as an oportunity! Now you can replace that cord with a 10 or 12 foot (or longer) length of sjo cord and a heavy duty plug. You can get the cord in yellow for visibility and it tends to lay flat without the zig zag effect. The longer cord keeps you from having to break out the extension cord.

Nissim Avrahami
09-19-2007, 12:58 PM
How many un-used Measuring tapes you have... :)

I have many and with one of them I did this...

Oh, the Chinese?
1~1.5 Meters = 39"~59"
30~40 cm = 12"~16"

niki

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t104/nanikami/Measuring%20tape/MT01.jpg

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t104/nanikami/Measuring%20tape/MT02.jpg

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t104/nanikami/Measuring%20tape/MT03.jpg

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t104/nanikami/Measuring%20tape/MT04.jpg

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t104/nanikami/Measuring%20tape/MT05.jpg

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t104/nanikami/Measuring%20tape/MT06.jpg

Jason Beam
09-19-2007, 1:10 PM
MAN!!!! :eek:

Niki, You're ruining the Polish reputation over here. What a GREAT idea. I have a couple kinked tapes that just found new life (because i couldn't bear to throw 'em away).

Dwain Lambrigger
09-19-2007, 1:17 PM
Ditto to David's idea, I run the cord over my sholder when using my circ saw, or my router. I am always worried about doing just that! Looks like there are a few really good suggestions to fix however.

Doug Shepard
09-19-2007, 1:39 PM
I Hate when that happens:mad: Haven't cut through one yet, but I managed to sand through one with my belt/disc combo. Shop was cold and the cord was stiff, and I didn't push it far enough away when I plugged it in. Next thing I know the disc comes to a slow halt. After a few minutes of flipping breakers I realized the cord had remained looped upward and fallen against the edge of the belt, which prompty sanded it in half. DOH:mad:

Tim Lynch
09-19-2007, 1:43 PM
My Porter Cable belt sander turned on itself once and committed cordicide. It sucked it up quick. It was really hard to get out -- they size the gap and the cord just right :rolleyes:

EDIT: Just reread this and almost sounds like I meant "turned on by itself." Nope, just a figure of speech -- I was definitely driving.

Tom Hargrove
09-19-2007, 1:49 PM
Be aware the repaired powered cords are not OSHA compliant, so if the cord is used on a job subject to OSHA inspection, it will draw a fine.

This is not to say that repaired cords don't work - I have several myself.

Mike Cutler
09-19-2007, 2:14 PM
[QUOTE=Brian Weick;661335 I have done this before and it works out very,very well- it's just hard to get 1/2" black shrink hose for some reason, that's my only gripe.
Hope this helps:)
Brian[/QUOTE]

Brian
If you ever run into this problem again, give me a shout. I have shrink tubing that meets every federal reg there is to repair cables and conductors. It's actually rated higher than the original cord, and it's waterproof.

Jason White
09-19-2007, 3:21 PM
Oops. Sorry, I forgot that I posted that here.

Just an update, though. $45 for a new cord installed at the Bosch repair center. YIKES!!

JW

Was this again???

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=65404

John Gornall
09-19-2007, 4:15 PM
For our handheld power tools we used to cut all the cords off leaving about 1 foot of cord. Then put a piece of air hose over the cord to make it stiff and add a plug. Usually had to run an extension cord anyway. Made the cord thing simpler.

John Mihich
09-19-2007, 4:18 PM
If you would see my hand held power saws you would think they come with cut cords. I even managed to cut through my sawall cord. :(

Brian Brown
09-19-2007, 6:29 PM
Bought a new Bosch 1677 worm-drive circ saw and within 2 hours, I managed to cut right through the cord!! I imagine it happened because the cord was still "trained" in a bit of a zig-zag pattern and it got sucked into the blade guard when I lowered the saw down near my side.

Anybody else have this issue? How can I prevent this from happening again? Is there an easy, safe way to splice the two pieces of cord back together?

JW

Everyone who has cut a cord raise your hand. Ok, some of you are lying!, get your hand up. When I was 13 I used my dad's circ saw to cut a board. First time using a circ saw; and my last for many years. This was one bad a** saw. It weighed more than I did. Within 3 seconds of turning it on, I had cut the cord. I never think about the cord issue any more except when I pick up a circ saw. Then it is always the first thing on my mind. I can't use a circ saw unless I have the cord over my shoulder (I use a tiny spring clamp to clip it to my shirt so It can't fall off and cause a distraction), or I have an assistant hold the cord. So, you may never have to worry about this experience again. Your brain has been trained at the school of hard knocks! It is amazing how long an experience like this will control your future actions. By the way, I really like the tape measure "cord minder" idea from Niki. Now where did I put all those old dead tape measures???

Brian

jonathan snyder
09-19-2007, 7:39 PM
How can I prevent this from happening again? JW

No tails to cut here!!!

That is a Disston D7 and a Harvey W. Peace.

Jonathan

Bob Herpolsheimer
09-19-2007, 8:33 PM
Hi Jason,

Go to an electrical wholesale house. Use 14-3 SJ cord with 515 plug. Both together should run you less than $20. The 14-3 should be about the same size as what you have on the saw now. The only problem may be in the strain releif on the saw. If it is molded on the cord you may be SOL but if the cord just runs through it the 14-3 will work.

Phil Thien
09-19-2007, 9:43 PM
Sell it on eBay as a cordless and buy a new one?

Chuck Lenz
09-19-2007, 11:32 PM
Sell it on eBay as a cordless and buy a new one?
LMAO Phil, good one. thanks for the laugh.

Russ Filtz
09-20-2007, 7:38 AM
For our handheld power tools we used to cut all the cords off leaving about 1 foot of cord. Then put a piece of air hose over the cord to make it stiff and add a plug. Usually had to run an extension cord anyway. Made the cord thing simpler.

I "pigtail" all my hand tools. Makes storing much easier without having to wrap 15' of cord each time!

Chuck Saunders
09-20-2007, 8:21 AM
The answer is simple, though not simple to implement - You have to change your movement so that you don't swing the saw into the cord. How do I know? I cut the cord of my Skilsaw exactly as you describe, letting the saw hang down after the cut. Dang! Got a new cord and everything is fine again. Within the next 3 cuts - Dang!!.
As the saying goes "Wow that's ten times in a row, it must be me"