PDA

View Full Version : Epilog Legend 24 and Used Machine Help

Gary Gilbert
09-19-2007, 10:45 AM
Hi folks -

I have found a system that I am quite interested in.
Original laser, light usage. Epilog Legend 24. 1999 or 200 model.
The price is quite attractive. This ia very important issue . . .
The bed size is 12x14, and I can't afford a new machine with that bed size.

I'm very concerned about getting a system and immediately needing to drop money into a new laser.

Can the laser be "recharged"?
What core questions should I be concerned with on this machine?

For some, this may seem trivial. For me, this is a real issue with time and money. And it makes me nervous to make this kind of expenditure.

Thank you,

Gary

Allan Wright
09-19-2007, 10:48 AM
The age of the laser has a lot to do with the answer to your question. Newer lasers can be recharged, older ones sometimes cannot. The best way to find out is get the serial number of the engraver (better yet the laser itself if the seller is willing to open up the unit) and call Epilog and ask them.

I purchased my laser (my first) used, and I've been very happy with the decision (and money savings) of going used. I'd recommend bringing some sample materials to the seller and asking them to do some sample engraving and cutting on them. That will tell you if it will do what you need or if the laser needs to be recharged.

One more thing. I looked at used lasers for about 18 months. In all that time, I never came across a laser that was reported to have anything other than 'light use'. Caveat Emptor when buying used. Do your homework.

Jeanette Brewer
09-19-2007, 1:52 PM
The bed size is 12x14, and I can't afford a new machine with that bed size.

Gary:

The engraving area on a Legend24 is 12x24. I'm fairly sure the original (above) was just a typo but I wanted to be sure you were dealing w/ the correct info.

Joe Pelonio
09-19-2007, 2:25 PM
I have that one, and according to the Epilog tech they do not "recharge" the tubes, they sell new ones (that may actually be brand new, or may be recharged/refurbished and tested).

They have proprietary hardware on them so have to be bought from Epilog. Last time I bought a new one it was $2,300 but I was told that the price has come down some since then.

My suggestion is that if it's in good shape and a good deal that's a nice machine, but be setting aside some $ for the new tube just in case.

Scott Shepherd
09-19-2007, 3:00 PM
If you're worried about the cost of recharge/replacement of the laser, you should look at Universal. They have some of the lowest cost to recharge/replace in the industry. Seems like someone posted recently that they just did it and it ran about $950.

Sandra Force
09-20-2007, 8:12 PM
The discussion of the average laser tube has been under discussion on the EE forum for a couple of months. The consenses is that the average tube life is 4-6 years whether or not is is being used. Use has nothing to do with how it will hold its charge. Some people have had them last for over 10 years. My experience is anything over 4 years is hold your breath time. I have replaced three tubes in 6 years. The first machine had no maintence and 4 years on it when I got it and I nursed it for a year before I got to the land of no fix. Coherent had a problem with the capacitors on the 2nd tube and replaced the 150w after less than a year. I just recharged the tube on the 100w and it is up and running beautifully and was 4.5 years old when I lost it. I would go with the take material to it as see how it runs. If you can get someone to engrave and cut you some things with the same type of machine to compare even better.:rolleyes:

Mike Null
09-21-2007, 5:53 AM
Sandra

Welcome to SMC. We're glad to have you. Using the "search" on the various forums will produce info on nearly anything related to woodworking. So I suggest you browse the other forums here as well.

For all Creekers, Sandra is an experienced laser engraver in a high volume industrial atmosphere. She will bring a wealth of ideas and applications concepts to SMC.

Keith Outten
09-21-2007, 7:56 AM
Gary,

I own an Epilog Legend Model 24 built in 2001. I have replaced the tube once and my machine really has had light duty but it isn't for sale so you can probably believe me :)

My Legend has been a solid machine and has been very dependable. I have had a couple of issues but Epilog's tech support is as good as it can get and I don't offer that kind of praise often.

What we have seen here is that much like automobiles laser engravers seem to have recurring problems based on the model of the machine. There are some models we see owners complaining about often and some that are work horses that are very reliable for long periods of time.

No matter which machine you purchase you will be replacing the CO2 tube, it is just a matter of time. My original tube failed at approximately 500 hours. Plan for equipment replacement costs by making sure you include an overhead fee in every job you engrave and hold onto that money so you will be able to repair your machine when its time to write that check.

Nancy Laird
09-21-2007, 9:22 AM
If you're worried about the cost of recharge/replacement of the laser, you should look at Universal. They have some of the lowest cost to recharge/replace in the industry. Seems like someone posted recently that they just did it and it ran about $950.

I second Scott's comment. We have a Universal M-20 that was built in 1996 and is still on its original tube, and we run it practically every day (when we're in town). We know that the tube is going to go eventually, and a new 25W tube for our machine will be about $850 or so.

Might check out this thread too: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=65372

Nancy (91 days)

Peck Sidara
09-21-2007, 10:39 AM
Gary,

The Legend model laser engravers were built in 2000-2002. This machine is still fully supported by Epilog by way of free technical support/part availability.

If a replacement laser tube is needed, replacements are available and cost is $1500.00 (for 25-40Watts).

As Allan has stated, "light usage" seems to be the norm for all used lasers on the market.

If possible, inspect the machines moving parts and get a sense of the overall condition. Lastly, run some jobs and check the image quality. Tech support can be reached at 303.215.9171 if you have questions on specifications/operation etc.

Buying new is always your best bet if you can go that route. The Epilog Mini systems start at $9995 and offer a 1 year all inclusive warranty, 2 years on the laser tube. Replacement cost for a 35Watt laser is $995 and comes with a 2 year warranty. Lease options are also available for new equipment.

Not sure what you're looking to pay for the Legend but if it's anywhere near 2/3 the cost of new, I would consider new.

HTH

Joe Pelonio
09-21-2007, 2:34 PM
Peck,

Could you also give the current price for the Legend 45 watt tube?

Kim Vellore
09-21-2007, 2:54 PM
Peck,

Yeah I'll be interested to know too. I paid ~$2300 for it 1.5 years back, is the price gone down or is it high only for the Legend laser tubes.

Kim

Peck Sidara
09-21-2007, 3:05 PM
Peck,

Prices have dropped fellow creekers. Cost for Joe's 24TT 45Watt laser tube $1195.

Brian Robison
09-21-2007, 3:32 PM
What about a Mini 18? I've got 25watt, can I go up to 45 when I need to replace? Costs for the different ones avalible?
Thanks Peck.

Joe Pelonio
09-21-2007, 4:00 PM
Prices have dropped fellow creekers. Cost for Joe's 24TT 45Watt laser tube $1195.
Thanks, Peck. Hopefully I still don't need one any time soon, but that's a truly significant drop.

Peck Sidara
09-21-2007, 4:27 PM
No problem Joe.

Brian, upgrade pricing is a little different than replacement costs. When you're ready to upgrade the laser OR in the event a laser tube needs replacement, please contact your local rep for pricing.

Thanks guys,