PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a Mini Lathe

Tom Gibson
09-18-2007, 11:54 PM
I was wondering if any one can tell me if a TurnCrafter Pro Mini Lathe is a good investment :confused:

Dennis Peacock
09-19-2007, 12:27 AM
Hello Tom and Welcome to SMC!!!!

The best bang for your buck would be a variable speed mini. Jet makes a nice VS mini and there are several folks here who have them.

Paul Heely
09-19-2007, 6:23 AM
Welcome to the creek Tom!

I don't know anything about the Turncrafter lathe but I do own a Jet mini. I've been very happy with the Jet. I have the VS and a guy at work has the non-VS and he's been happy with his also.

Rick Huelsbeck
09-19-2007, 7:30 AM
Got a deal on a brand new jet 1236 at 25 more than I paid for the mini or I would still have the mini. It did everything I asked of it, worked on bowls up to 9.5" The new mini they have is a 12", they did not have that when I bought mine.

Tom Gibson
09-19-2007, 8:52 AM
Thanks to all that helped me with my dilemma on Mini Lathes.:)

Tom Gibson
09-19-2007, 8:56 AM
Thanks to all that have helped me with the dilemma on Mini Lathes.:)

Bernie Weishapl
09-19-2007, 9:48 AM
Welcome to SMC. Tom just a couple of other pretty good midi lathes are the Rikon and Delta LA 200. I had the Delta and loved it but gave it to my nephew to get him started and then got a deal on the Rikon. It has been a good lathe and will turn a 11 1/2" bowl. These are belt changers but you can change the speed in about 30 seconds. Just a thought.

Don Orr
09-19-2007, 10:15 AM
Tom,

One of the turning clubs I belong to has a Turncrafter mini lathe and I have used it several times. It is a functional machine at best. The castings are marginal, machining not the best, overall pretty rough around the edges. They work but are not a Jet by any means. The best bang for your buck is easily the Jet Mini lathe in either manual or electronic VS. I've had one for many years and have turned on many others and have enjoyed them all. The TC is more of a struggle to move the moveable stuff when you need to and changing speeds is not easy either.And only 5 speeds instead of 6 on the Jet. The same club also has a Delta Midi which is nearly as good as the Jet.

Good luck and have fun,

Marvin Hasenak
09-19-2007, 7:19 PM
A good mini with variable speed is the Jet mini, but for non variable speed I would go for the Delta Midi, the belt is a lot easier to change the speed than on the Jet mini. I have both a Jet mini and a Delta midi, but prefer the Delta for the location of the off/on switch, increments marked on the quill, ease of belt changes and the extra inch in bed length.

Marvin

Allen Neighbors
09-19-2007, 11:44 PM
Hope I don't get pummeled here.... I read every review I could find on mini-lathes. I finally had my choices narrowed down to three. The Jet Mini, Nova Mercury, or Vicmarc VL100. The Merc and the Vic got better reviews than the Jet. And the Merc was discontinued, so I ended up with the Vicmarc VL100, bench model, 5 speeds. Super easy belt changes are possible with the bench model, because you mount your motor on a hinged platform at the backside of the lathe, and the backside of the headstock is open for this.
(The VS Model VL100 is about $750!! The bench model was about $350.)
The bench model comes with an extra 5-step pulley, but without a motor... you install a motor of your choice. I already had an extra cont duty 1/2hp motor with enclosed fan, 1725 rpm, so my lowest speed is near 650 rpm. The Aussies planned the pulley for a 1440 rpm motor which would have given it a slower low speed. The only thing I don't like about my little Vic is the slowest speed.
It's beefy, with absolutely wonderful machining, and extremely well-engineered. The toolrest and tailstock move like a dream, and lock easily and dead tight. It has a 9.8" swing, and 15 inches between centers. And the centers are spot on!
At least give it a look. You might be glad you did.