PDA

View Full Version : Material?

Byron Trantham
02-01-2004, 11:09 AM
I have a Delta Unisaw that came with a couple inserts made from what I think is some kind of phenolic material. Both sides are red and are as smooth as Formica. The material seems to be very dense and heavy. Anyone know what the material is and where I might buy some? I would like to make a jig for my router table and this material would be great for the base. :confused:

John Christiansen
02-01-2004, 11:48 AM
I have a Delta Unisaw that came with a couple inserts made from what I think is some kind of phenolic material. Both sides are red and are as smooth as Formica. The material seems to be very dense and heavy. Anyone know what the material is and where I might buy some? I would like to make a jig for my router table and this material would be great for the base. :confused:

I have no idea what the material you have is, but Phenolic sheet goods do make good jigs, although it can be a little hard on your tooling while fabricating the part.

All kinds of different types/shapes/sizes of phenolic material can be purchased from McMaster-Carr. Excellent priceing and fast service as well. But their site can sometimes be a little confusing to navigate.

Jim Becker
02-01-2004, 11:08 PM
Woodpeckers (http://www.woodpeck.com) carries the same material they use to build some of their products in sheets of various thicknesses. It's red phenolic covered plywood and very high quality...and very high priced. I almost bought some recently...but the cost scared me away until the next time I think about it!