PDA

View Full Version : Chest on chest plans

Jim Kountz
09-18-2007, 8:59 PM
Looking for some plans or ideas for a larger chest on chest. Something federal or perhaps chippendale in design. I visited Berkeley Plantation near Williamsburg VA a couple of years ago and saw a nice one there, I was able to take a few shots of it but not enough to really get the details. If anyone has some thoughts they could share that would be great!

Thanks,

Jim

Calvin Hobbs
09-18-2007, 11:02 PM
Jim,

There are some nice ones out there. Try Thomas Elfe: Cabinetmaker by Samuel Humphrey for several very nice double chests, although they are of the Charleston variety. The Charleston chests are very English in character and very refined. I am making one of these next year along with my Dad and brother, I am very excited about it.

It seems to me that there is one by Glenn Huey in one of his books also, his interpretation of a Pennsylvania chest on chest. I think the one at Berkeley is a pa derivative, by memory...

One of the early FWW's has an article about the proportions of a fine Philadelphia chest on chest, and I think there is an issue with a Carlyle Lynch drawing for another one in a later issue. Maybe someone could chime in with the exact # or date.

My book collection at this point is probably getting too large to pinpoint exactly without doing a little research, but there is plenty of resources out there. Cal

Jim Kountz
09-24-2007, 4:22 AM
Calvin, thanks for the information, actually the one on the front of the Thomas Elfe book is really really close to the one at Berkeley, the distinction that sets it apart from most others I have seen is the way the corners of the chest's top are angled (clipped at a 45 degree angle) to match the quartered columns of the case. Its a very nice touch to an otherwise normal looking chest. I dont think my carving skills are quite up the ornate decoration of the Elfe chest but Im thinking of trying it anyway. Let me know how yours turns out too!

Thanks,

Jim

Mack Cameron
09-24-2007, 7:28 AM
Hi Jim; I purchased a plan from FWW Apr. '90 Issue # 81 of a chest on chest, measured and drawn by Carlyle Lynch. I don't happen to know the style it was called, but it might be worth your while to have a look at it. I have since sold my complete collection of FWW so I can't even go back to refer to that issue but I still have the plans.

Jim Kountz
09-24-2007, 12:50 PM
Hi Jim; I purchased a plan from FWW Apr. '90 Issue # 81 of a chest on chest, measured and drawn by Carlyle Lynch. I don't happen to know the style it was called, but it might be worth your while to have a look at it. I have since sold my complete collection of FWW so I can't even go back to refer to that issue but I still have the plans.

Mack, I'll have to take a look at that one for sure. I looked at a site that has some of the Lynch drawings but the double chest wasnt there. They had alot of good ones that Mr. Lynch did do though. Very detailed drawings and reasonable too. Thanks for the info!

Jim

Jim Kountz
09-28-2007, 4:15 PM
Calvin, boy were you ever right, the Elfe book is fantastic!! I just got my copy today and except to type this I havent set it down. Its a treasure full of double chests and many other fine period pieces. Im going to study this for a while then come up with a version of my own and see how it turns out. I might choose a lesser grade of wood for the prototype then do it again with something nice. That way if I screw it up at least I wont be out too much!

Thanks again,

Jim