PDA

View Full Version : Project finally done

David Schindeldecker
09-18-2007, 8:33 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/RUSH-MAN/crib.jpg

Finally finished my labor of love... A new maple crib for my first-born... due Oct 22.

I used the Heirloom crib plan for a starter plan, then modified it into a transitional bed, which will convert to a child's daybed, then on to a full headboard.

Hard maple. I modified the slats from the dado insets they recommended to mortise and tenon. A LOT more work, but I was able to round over each of the slats to make them soft and smooth. I actually got a slight cut on my finger as I was jointing them to size ! Not any more !

I got most of the maple from a friend at work. It was a lot of work planing 4/4 down to 2/4, but wow did that new Ridgid work well on that hard wood. I love the spalting that some of the stock had... I blended it into the whole of the crib. I chose to blend in some darker maple and even some small knots... I think it added a ton of character.

Finish is two coats of Watco Danish oil - clear, and 2 rubbed coats of General Finishes Arm-R-Coat. The pyramids and bottom cap is darkened with Minwax's Cherry Gel Stain.

Thank you all so much for all of the information I read on this sight, and advice for others I followed. I love this sight and appreciate all of your talents which you share here. I'm still learning a lot as I go... having a ton a fun along the way.

- Dave

David Duke
09-18-2007, 8:42 PM
For us wood buthers having fun is what its all about. Very nice crib and congratulations on the upcoming arrival.

Jim Kountz
09-18-2007, 8:54 PM
Nice job and congrats on the upcoming family member. I wish I had done a crib like that for my son, I did make him a toy box which now gets used to house all the PS2 and Nintendo games!!

Trent Flemming
09-18-2007, 9:13 PM
Hi David,

The crib is very nice. What a wonderful gift to your new baby. :)

Just a thought. I have heard that the bars should be no wider than a coke can. From the picture that doesn't seem to be a issue, but I thought it was worth mentioning. Congrates on the new baby and a job well done.

Trent

Jim Becker
09-18-2007, 9:50 PM
Beautiful crib and congrats on the upcoming family addition!

Zahid Naqvi
09-18-2007, 11:06 PM
Wow! what an intro David, the crib looks wonderful.

Don C Peterson
09-19-2007, 12:42 AM
Very nice! That's a real heirloom.

And congratulations on the expected arrival.

Craig Thompson
09-19-2007, 1:07 AM
Beautiful work Dave, Congratulations on the upcoming arrival, wife must be happy with that crib.... nice color variances on the added details.

David Schindeldecker
09-19-2007, 7:38 AM
Just a thought. I have heard that the bars should be no wider than a coke can. From the picture that doesn't seem to be a issue, but I thought it was worth mentioning. Trent

The plans were to Gov't specs and I had pulled up the actual Gov't standards to confirm that the modifications I made were also correct.

Thanks to all of the well wishes on the impending arrival of our Son.

Dave

John Schreiber
09-19-2007, 8:43 AM
Congratulations on the new baby and on getting the crib done before he/she arrives. What a feeling of putting the baby down in a crib you built.