PDA

View Full Version : They told me so

mike johnston
09-18-2007, 7:39 PM
I was warned when I bought my lathe (At Woodsmith in Des Moines) that I may begin to ignore some of my other woodworking passions. I thought no way, well ignore is not nearly a strong enough word. Although I have gotten used to my 5hp, left tilt bowl drying table being no more than that. I draw the line when the other things in this picture have become covered with dust and shavings, I have a beautiful 3 acre pond full of bass, walleye and catfish (fished twice in the last 4 months). not only that 5 months ago I was considered to be a pretty good golfer, posted 6 scores since then. I can't wait until it gets cold so I don't feel guilty about the single mindedness.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-18-2007, 7:42 PM
Quit your whining.....chuck up another piece.........you'll forgive yourself as soon as that big Mustard Monster roars to life!:D

Shane Whitlock
09-18-2007, 8:48 PM
Thats a good lookin bowl dryer ya got there ... pretty soon ya wont be able to see the top of it.

Neal Addy
09-18-2007, 9:11 PM
What other tools is that? All I see is a nice lathe.

You really need to clear that clutter outta the way.

Bernie Weishapl
09-18-2007, 10:32 PM
Just face it Mike. You got da bug.

Allen Neighbors
09-18-2007, 11:28 PM
Welcome to the Dusty/Rusty Tool Club, Mike. :)

Ken Fitzgerald
09-18-2007, 11:56 PM
Mike....You notice how much sympathy you've gotten from the inmates here!:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Kevin McPeek
09-19-2007, 12:13 AM
uhhh.. Told you so ;) I'll just go ahead and say it for whoever gave you the wisdom in the first place.

Dennis Peacock
09-19-2007, 12:25 AM
Sorry Mike.....no sympathy here. You really should clear out all that "clutter" in your shop and put some more bowls to dry on that 5hp drying rack you got there. :D

Mike Ramsey
09-19-2007, 8:24 AM
I bought a new Joiner 2 years ago.....I have no Idea where to find it!!
I have a 2 hp drying table also & the rod & reels have just been pushed
up above the shop rafters to get them outa sight, the dip net has 2 bowl blanks in it :D .

Steve Schlumpf
09-19-2007, 8:51 AM
Welcome to the Club Mike!

Frank Kobilsek
09-19-2007, 10:19 AM
Mike,

I advise you to really consider not renewing your Golf Course membership next year. I paid mine 2 years too long. Once I quit paying $900 to play 5 rounds I had the extra cash I needed to go to Symposiums and week long turning classes at places like Crafts Supply and JC Campbell. Don't make the same mistake I did. You'll get invited a few time a year to play golf so don't think of it as giving up golf just changing priorities.

Frank

Don Orr
09-19-2007, 10:21 AM
...that's just how it goes. Get used to it like the rest of us.

Pete Jordan
09-19-2007, 10:50 AM
Looks like you have some fancy turning jig making tools there.

I also think you could make great big tees for Christmas presents.

Ron Raymond
09-19-2007, 12:09 PM
It's always good to see a person who has their priorities all straightened out!

Ed Breen
09-19-2007, 5:03 PM
Mike,
I guess I'm a lucky guy, I didn't golf prior to my descent into the malestrom. However, like you I also have a 5hp, 3phase drying table and a barn full of rods, biguns and assorted tackle drying out from lack of exposure. I feel smug though that my old hobbies still wish me well, as long as I spend a few moments once or twice the year.
Ed:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Skip Spaulding
09-19-2007, 5:16 PM
5 hp dryer can still be used for cutting stock for laminating bowl blanks, pepper mills and lamps etc. I'm not sure about the rest, maybe give it to who ever might interfere with your turning and they might leave you be!

Ernie Nyvall
09-19-2007, 7:45 PM
You could be hanging stuff on that golf cart to dry... you've got wasted space.:D