PDA

View Full Version : Hardwood flooring installation ??????

Mike Cutler
09-18-2007, 5:25 PM
Looking for any and all advice on installing 3/4" T&G hardwood flooring.

I will be installing a Brazillian Ebony floor in the next week or so. This will be the first floor I've done, so don't think something is too "remedial". Little details can make or break a project.

1st question concerns the lengths of the flooring.
I have 12", 18", 24", 36", 48", 60" and 84" lengths. No 72" lengths.
Not believing in the theory of random, and knowing that a lot of building products are dimensioned the way they are to facilitate ease and speed of installation. Is there a "rule of thumb" method to starting the flooring that uses these lengths, and minimizes waste? The size of the floor is 13'x 7'.

TIA

Terry Barr
09-18-2007, 6:58 PM
where are the doors and widows in the room. the flooring is recommended to be laid with the light source down the length of the flooring this show less flawes (not that you will make a mistake) (i had two areas of concern when i laid my floor a 3/16 in roll in the concrete work never showed with carpet and the direction i laid the floor) my floor i laid against the light this show all the seams but still atractive and the wife liked it that way.

Jon Behnke
09-18-2007, 9:47 PM
I laid 600 sq. ft. a couple months ago, there are a few things I would have done different but it still turned out nice.
A couple hints...
Allow the flooring to acclimate to the environment before laying. Check with the manufacturer for the time needed.
If it's pre-finished flooring make sure you lay out the room before nailing anything down to make sure there are no funny color variations, this is called "racking". This also helps with the joints, you don't want less than 6" between joints from one row to the next.
If started from one end of the room with a long piece then the next row you would start with a short piece. You want as random a pattern as possible with as little cutting as possible. It's a bit of a puzzle to make it all work.
If you have the room racked, then when you start nailing you can just keep going without stopping to find the right piece.
Hope this helps and good luck.

Mike Cutler
09-19-2007, 5:07 AM
Thanks for the feedback folks.

Terry

First off. Welcome to Sawmill Creek. Pleased to meet ya'.

This floor is our "Mud Room"/ back entry to the house. There are no windows except the one in the door. The light will cast along the 13' length. I never thought about the light aspect.

Jon

I'm sure we'll lay it out once or twice get a good look at it.
LOML was sorting through it last nite, didviding the flooring into light and dark tone, straight grain, and not so straight grain.
Luckily it's a small area to do. <100 sq/ft.

Tim Morton
09-19-2007, 6:21 AM
just keep it random and make keep your joints a foot away from other joints in the row in front and behind and you will be fine. use your short cut offs to "start" the next row to save lumber. And leave a 3/16ish gap around the perimeter. Most of all don't over think it....and when you are done you will love it.

David LaRue
09-19-2007, 7:39 AM
Make sure your floor is prepared correctly, and all squeaks are gone. Make sure your 1st row is really straight!
Leave an expansion gap between the wall and the ends of the wood.
Buy a good Crains door jamb saw if you are putting this in an existing trimmed room.

Do some stretches before being on your knees all day.

Ben Grunow
09-21-2007, 8:49 PM
Wood flooring should be laid across (prependicular to) the floor joists so it spans from joist to joist. It could appear wavy if laid the other way as some joists can bow seasonally due to moisture conditions. If you plan to lay it parallel to the joists add another layer of plywood below (5/8 underlayment grade is best)