PDA

View Full Version : Dewalt Service Was Outstanding

Bill Fellmy
09-18-2007, 2:10 PM
The Marathon motor on my 3 year old DW746 table saw started making a very loud noise...like when a bearing(s) is going out. What I learned from the local authorized repair shop (after they listened to the noisy motor over the phone) was that the motor would need to be replaced because it is sealed in such a way that it cannot be repaired. All I had to do was load the TS, take it across the city to the repair shop, and they would fix it for $500 because my 1 year warranty had expired. (The motor itself is just under $350.)

Sorry to report that I was frustrated because as a former airplane owner, when an electric motor developed a problem, I could usually get it fixed at any number of electrical repair shops for a modest cost. Adding to my frustration was the comment that I kept getting from everbody that I talked to, "never heard of a motor failure on the DW746...that's a Marathon motor."

To make a long story short, I finally called the 800 number as the instruction manual says to do. There, I was greeted by a courteous, competent, professional Dewalt representative (name withheld by his request) who listened to my dilemma, listened to the noisy motor over the phone, and spent time gathering details from me. One week later a brand new Marathon motor arrived on my front porch at no charge, and two hours later my TS was running like a charm again (owner installed with a neighbor's help).

Normally, I like to stay local whenever possible, but this was one time when the national boys stepped up and did what, in my opinion, was the right thing to do even though the motor was out of warranty. Thank you Dewalt for your willingness to stand behind your products.

Now, I have started buying lottery tickets because "no one has ever heard of a Marathon motor going bad." Makes me feel special. With that kind of luck, maybe I'll hit the lottery!