PDA

View Full Version : Assemble then finish? or vice versa

Jim Podsedly
09-18-2007, 1:49 PM
I was reading the October issue of Fine Woodworking and specifically the article about building a trestle table. In one of the pictures it states "after all the parts have been sanded and finished, it's finally time to put the table together"

Is this how most of you do your projects? I usually sand most of the parts, dry fit, then assemble/glue and then go to the finishing room.

I would think it would be a pain to lay out all the parts and finish that way.

Jim

Larry Fox
09-18-2007, 1:56 PM
I try and prefinish as much as I can before assembly. This is especially useful when spraying as most parts are flat or flatish which makes them easy to spray. It also makes it easier to sand between coats as you don't ahve as many nooks and crannies to work into and around. Depending on the project, it does take a lot more room and trips back and forth to the finishing area. You also have to be very careful with glue when assembling and having the parts finished sometimes makes clamping interesting to say the least.

As far as dry-fitting prior to assembly - I do the same thing. I learned my lesson there on a $50.00 piece of cherry.

Ed Peters
09-18-2007, 2:08 PM
I do as much finishing as possible while the parts are still basically flat. This is especially helpful for the interiors of casework and cabinetry. I frequently stain and seal or just seal full sheets of veneer plywood or luan before they are cut to size. With a little care in handling, they will just require a light coat to seal the seams when completed.

Ed

James Phillips
09-18-2007, 2:15 PM
I have tried both, but generally am an assemble first guy. Remember if you finish first you have to be careful not to get finish in the areas that will be glued.

Jim Becker
09-18-2007, 6:26 PM
I use both methods, depending on the project. That trestle table made more sense to finish the components and assemble just because of the way it's built. Some other forms of tables would be better finished in two pieces...the top and the support structure. Others...all at once.

Bill Huber
09-18-2007, 7:39 PM
I put it all together as much as I can and then take it all apart. Do the final little bit if sanding and then for the most part put it all back together and then finish it.

With that said I am starting to think about the other way for some things.
Like jewelry boxes I am working on, I think I need to put them all together and make sure everything is fitting the way it should. Then take all the hardware off and do the finishing, then reassemble it.

Jim Kountz
09-18-2007, 7:52 PM
Depends on the project I guess. Kitchen and bath cabs always get the interiors finished before assembly, its just easier to get in there without a face frame in the way. (assuming of course they have frames). Drawer boxes are finished first then assembled, again its just easier to not have to reach in the corners for final sanding, scraping, planing etc.

Zahid Naqvi
09-18-2007, 11:22 PM
I am a very impatient kind of person, as soon as I get everything cut I just can't wait to put things together and see how it looks like. Although some projects would be better off if pre-finished. If you are concerned about protecting joints just cover those areas with blue tape.

joe greiner
09-19-2007, 6:50 AM
I prefer to finish before assembly, for reasons already mentioned. Mask the glue surfaces for the finishing, and mask the finished areas for gluing. For the latter masking, I use filament tape for ease of removal without leaving remnants behind.

Joe

John Thompson
09-19-2007, 11:10 AM
For the most part I finish after dry fitting and then assemble. Ditto Joe G. on masking the glue areas. After awhile you become very proficient at that task and it takes very little time.

Sarge..