PDA

View Full Version : Oneway Chuck/Nova Jaws... Fit Stronghold?

Allen Neighbors
09-18-2007, 1:35 PM
I have a friend who has a set of the Oneway Stronghold Jumbo Jaws. They fit on his Nova Midi Chuck.
This leads me to ask if anyone on this forum has Both, a Oneway Stronghold Chuck and a Nova Chuck, and if so, will the jaws interchange?

The reason I'm asking... I want a large chuck that will fit my Oneway Spindle, and I'm debating which to buy. Thanks,

Bob Hamilton
09-19-2007, 7:37 AM
Hi:
That sounds strange to me, because I have a Oneway basic and Talon chuck as well as SuperNova II and have found that the hole spacing and locating rib on the Oneway jaws allows them to be used on the Nova chuck _if_ the limiting pin is removed. The Nova jaws seem to have a very slightly thicker locating rib which will not quite fit into the groove in the base jaws of the Oneway chucks, so while I can use my Oneway jaws on my Nova chuck I cannot use my Nova jaws on my Oneway chucks.

I have never had any direct experience with a Stronghold, but Oneway says the jaws are not interchangeable between the Stronghold and Talon (or basic) chuck. I have also heard that jaws are interchangeable between all of the Nova chucks. If that is the case then I am surprised that both Stronghold jaws and Talon jaws fit on a Nova chuck??? :confused:

Take care
Bob

Allen Neighbors
09-19-2007, 11:08 PM
Bob, thanks for responding to my question. It could be that my friend was mistaken about which chuck his Oneway Jumbo Jaws is for. And it could also be that the locating rib on the Aluminum jaws was just forced into the groove in the Nova Chuck. (Is that possible?)
The answer you gave me has given me impetus to rethink all of this business. I need a chuck to fit my Oneway lathe M33x3.5 spindle. (I have a spindle adapter which gives me an amount of runout that I don't like.) I wanted a larger chuck, and have been looking at a Nova Titan. But that thing costs too much. I can buy a Oneway Talon Body Only for 152bucks, but I find that it is no larger than my SN2s, and now learn that the Nova Jaws won't fit it.
Back to the think-tank. :-) Thanks for posting.
(Couldn't even get one response on the Oneway forum...)