PDA

View Full Version : Roller Stands......

Tony Falotico
02-01-2004, 8:09 AM
Anybody have and use roller stands? Are they a 'Good Thing' or do they just take up space in the shop. I'm thinking of using them as in-feed / out-feed for table saw, planer, possibly miter saw if I don't get the 'store bought' miter saw stand.

Anybody use 'home-made' roller stands? If so, pics or links would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any and all input.

Tony in North Florida ... (water falling from the sky this morning here)

Tom Hintz
02-01-2004, 8:13 AM
Tony,
I use them alot in my tiny shop and think they help. Being able to reposition things as I need (or don't need) them lets me make room where and when I need it. Plus, I can bring a tool out to a more useable position when it is needed.

I have one roller cabinet at the link below and we are developing another for miter saws that should be posted in a week or so.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/utilrolercabpln.html

Mark Singer
02-01-2004, 8:40 AM
I recently bought the Rigid support stand from Home Depot. It doesn't have rollers instead it has a flip top. That is my third one and it is the best. The base is large so it doesn't turn over. It easily adjusts and will even go as high as my band saws and drill press. Itis $29.95.

Jim Becker
02-01-2004, 9:58 AM
I have a couple and they get good use in the shop, largely for extra outfeed support on the jointer when processing long boards and when resawing on the bandsaw. The only real hassle with roller stands is that the rollers need to be aligned with the cut direction...particularly for resawing.

Of the two I have, I really prefer the folding unit over the one with the cast iron base. Strangely enough, it's more stable!

Kent Cori
02-01-2004, 10:47 AM
I have two single roller units that I bought at HD. I use them all the time for infeed/outfeed support for both my TS and planer. The height adjusts easily and they fold flat for storage. They were $20 each IIRC and I know HD still carries them. It was money well spent.

If I were to do it again, I'd buy two of the Rigid units that Mark cited. One of the WW mags did a comparision recently and picked these as No. 1. Unfortunately, they weren't yet on the market when I bought my originals.

Byron Trantham
02-01-2004, 11:05 AM
I use them to support sheet goods on the infeed side of the TS. My outfeed is long enough to support the material.

Tyler Howell
02-01-2004, 11:19 AM
Tony,

Rockler has an adjustable modal that has a roller and individual 1/2 (?) ball bearings. Folds for easy storage and very stable. Adj. feat for un even floors. Adj down with an interesting two knob system but a bit stubborn going back up.
I adapted an old wooden box when I want it as a support or tool rest without a lot of rolling. and sliding around. See if I can find a pic.

Not a salesman for any product

Dean Baumgartner
02-01-2004, 12:03 PM
Tony,
I have a couple of 4' sections of roller conveyor that I got from a friend who's factory was being shut down. They are the type that looks like a bunch of old type roller scate wheels. They don't work on stock that's less than about 3" wide but other than that they work great for long boards on the TS and planer. When not in use I lean them against the wall and put the adjustable stands under a table.

Dean

David LaRue
02-01-2004, 12:09 PM
I have a Tradesman roller stand that has two types of rollers. But the base is total pain. I would suggest a stand that folds up out of the way, and securely adjusts up and down. As others have noted the Ridgid seems to be te one folks gravitate to after using other designs.

http://home.comcast.net/~mywoodshop/assets/images/Tradesman-200.gif

Dave

Tyler Howell
02-01-2004, 12:16 PM
Tony,

Rockler has an adjustable modal that has a roller and individual 1/2 (?) ball bearings. Folds for easy storage and very stable. Adj. feat for un even floors. Adj down with an interesting two knob system but a bit stubborn going back up.
I adapted an old wooden box when I want it as a support or tool rest without a lot of rolling and sliding around. See if I can find a pic.

Not a salesman for any product
As promisd

Bryan Nuss
02-01-2004, 12:27 PM
Here is a great combination roller stand plus lumber cutoff stand:

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/features/fea.asp?id=1215