PDA

View Full Version : My first hf

TYLER WOOD
09-18-2007, 10:35 AM
Here is the first hf. It is still being finished so when commenting be easy on that area. Please comment on the form though. The pics are not great because of not being able to place it because of the finish not being dry.

It is apricot, 9" at the widest point, 6" tall, the opening in the top is 3" but the top is 5", base is 4". Thie piece is really cracked and the voids are filled with coffee and fiberglass resin. Walls are relavtively consistent at about 3/8" thick maybe 1/2" at the thickest areas. I will post better pics, but it won't be able to be photod again until after it returns from tour. It will go to Terry county fair, Lubbock county fair, and SWAT.

Comments are welcome and expected!

Bonnie Campbell
09-18-2007, 10:46 AM
I like it! If that doesn't win a ribbon the judging is fixed! And the finish on it looks good to me already :)

Ken Fitzgerald
09-18-2007, 11:00 AM
Tyler....Very nice 1st HF! I like the form.

Steve Schlumpf
09-18-2007, 11:25 AM
Tyler - it looks good to me! Nice form and finish! All the filled cracks add a lot to the piece! Best of luck to you at the show!

Jeff Bower
09-18-2007, 11:33 AM
Tyler well done! That looks like a lot of coffee? I really like the shape as well.

Paul Heely
09-18-2007, 11:49 AM
Nice job Tyler. I like the form and look that the filler gives the piece. Finish looks like it will be very nice. Good luck with the fair.

TYLER WOOD
09-18-2007, 3:47 PM
It now has 4 coats of rubbing poly. Will be adding about 4 coats of regular poly air brushed on, steel wooling between coats 1-3, none between 3 and 4. Hopefully I will be able to get that many on in 2 days. I do have to work sometime!!!:D

Thanks for the nice comments.

Mike A. Smith
09-18-2007, 3:53 PM
That's a good'un Tyler, way to go!

Neal Addy
09-18-2007, 4:03 PM
Very cool, Tyler! Good luck with it.

Patrick Taylor
09-18-2007, 4:33 PM
Great job! Good luck. :D

Nancy Laird
09-18-2007, 4:50 PM
Tyler, I think this piece is just beautiful. Ya dun good!!!

Nancy (94 days)

Gary Garmar
09-18-2007, 5:02 PM
Ditto Nancy's comments. Well done, must have been a challenge to keep it together. I mean the WOOD!!!!!!!

Shane Whitlock
09-18-2007, 8:46 PM
Great job Tyler .... I like the form and the coffee filler looks great.

Bernie Weishapl
09-18-2007, 10:33 PM
Great HF Tyler. Looks mighty fine to me.

Allen Neighbors
09-18-2007, 11:26 PM
You did well, Tyler. Hope to get to meet you at SWAT. :)

Larry Marley
09-19-2007, 12:20 AM
Nice job Tyler. Good luck with the judging.

Paul Engle
09-19-2007, 2:07 PM
Yea baby dats the one, Good luck and nice piece indeed.

Ernie Nyvall
09-19-2007, 7:42 PM
Cool piece Tyler. Not really a critique on your form, but maybe something to think about. The wood by itself is a lot to look at already. A simpler plain rounded form can sometimes show off the wood better when it has this much action in it. Nice job filling the voids and a great first.

TYLER WOOD
09-20-2007, 9:56 AM
Thanks Ernie, I do appreciate this comment, please do not take what I am about to say as a knock on your critique. It is actually explaining why I did what I did. Not really defending more than explaining myself.

I had thought the same thing about a simple shape with a turned out rim (I love them for some reason). It was originally a smooth round all the way down, except the rim was the same shape. After stepping back and looking at it, it really seemed a little bland, and my curve was not smooth. So when trying to refine the shape, I shaped it starting from the bottom, got to about 1/4 up the piece, stepped back and viewed the progress. NICE. So I continued to halfway up, stepped back, NICE. Got to where you see the ridge now, stepped back WOW for me. I got to where you see it is now, and could not go any further. It just seemed to fit for my eye. Not sure, but I saw grandma's cookie jar and felt it was warm. So that is my explanation.

Thanks for the advice, as it will be thought about and used next time a do a piece. Simplicity is hard for me to do. I prefer complex curves and love lines in pieces. To me it sets them off. So doing a smooth piece will be difficult. I'll try though!!!

Ernie Nyvall
09-20-2007, 7:53 PM
Thanks Ernie, I do appreciate this comment, please do not take what I am about to say as a knock on your critique. It is actually explaining why I did what I did. Not really defending more than explaining myself.

I had thought the same thing about a simple shape with a turned out rim (I love them for some reason). It was originally a smooth round all the way down, except the rim was the same shape. After stepping back and looking at it, it really seemed a little bland, and my curve was not smooth. So when trying to refine the shape, I shaped it starting from the bottom, got to about 1/4 up the piece, stepped back and viewed the progress. NICE. So I continued to halfway up, stepped back, NICE. Got to where you see the ridge now, stepped back WOW for me. I got to where you see it is now, and could not go any further. It just seemed to fit for my eye. Not sure, but I saw grandma's cookie jar and felt it was warm. So that is my explanation.

Thanks for the advice, as it will be thought about and used next time a do a piece. Simplicity is hard for me to do. I prefer complex curves and love lines in pieces. To me it sets them off. So doing a smooth piece will be difficult. I'll try though!!!

Tyler, hey... I'm certainly no expert... well, maybe in my own mind.: rolleyes: Your grandma sure had a fine looking cookie jar.

I admire the fact that you will go for it with the lines and curves.

Bill Wyko
09-20-2007, 8:04 PM
Very nice Tyler I've really got some catchin up to do with you.:)

TYLER WOOD
09-21-2007, 9:55 AM
Nice try Bill. Your a funny guy!!! I think it may be the other way around. I'm not on the front cover of web sites and fair handouts!!! Catching up, huh..........he walks away shaking his head in utter amazement at the audacity of the comment.....turns back around, thanks for trying though.