PDA

View Full Version : Not sure if this is the proper place for

Ed Peters
09-18-2007, 10:03 AM
this subject but nonetheless, here goes. I have been getting busier and busier with kitchens, feels like I am spinning out of control with kitchens coming out of my ears. You'd never guess that I prefer to build furniture. I have been looking for some time now to find a piece of software that can be tailored to my style of cabinet fabrication and then prepare optimized cutting plans without the need for a BS/PHD (xxxx/Piled Hip Deep) in computereeze. Well, I have found it finally. Last week I purchased "Cabinet Planner" and for $97.00, I feel like I stole something. Don't get me wrong now, it does not tell me how to build. It understands how I want to build and then crunches the numbers accordingly. The time required to communicate with the computer is negligable and the output is incredible. I get complete cut lists for each cabinet and a master list for the complete job, shop drawings for each cabinet and optimized cut plans for each material used. It will prepare estimates as well as contracts tailored to my preferences. It even prints labels for each piece cut which can be quite a help on larger jobs. As a bonus, you can customize the raw material sizes so you can use up some of the drops that have accumulated in your shop. In case I have been overly vague, I highly recommend this product.

Ed

Marcus Ward
09-18-2007, 10:05 AM
Wow, your only post is spam for a product. Smells like fish.

Lee Hingle
09-18-2007, 10:59 AM
I have seen this product for sale on Ebay - not sure if that's a good thing. The screen shots shown on the auction page show some extremely amateur looking illustrations - I would be ashamed to show these to a prospective client.

My vote for software like this goes to Cutlist Plus - you have the option with them to downlod a free trial to try out most of the features before you buy. No affiliation, just a happy customer.

Lee

Ed Peters
09-18-2007, 11:01 AM
Sorry if I raised your hackles unduly but be assured that I have no association with the provider other than being a very satisfied customer. I failed to mention that I thought I had run into a wall in customizing the product to my tastes so I sent an e-mail on Saturday, expecting to recieve a response sometime after Monday. Surprise surprise, I got a response within a half an hour. As well as a speedy response to a follow up question. Keep an eye open, since I found my way back here, you will see me sticking my $.02 frequently.

Ed

Ed Peters
09-18-2007, 11:04 AM
I first saw it as well. Yes, the "Shop drawings are minimalist but the elevation renderings are more than presentable. You can download a free trial copy of "Cabinet Planner" as well.

Ed

Mike Spanbauer
09-18-2007, 11:20 AM
I've heard decent things about the application, but it doesn't seem to fill any other needs than I currently meet with Cutlistplus. Thanks for the write-up though.

mike

edited for terseness, which wasn't intentional... bad morning :)

Matt Bickford
09-18-2007, 11:29 AM
6:1 this is an advertisement.

Bruce Benjamin
09-18-2007, 11:40 AM
Wow! Some of you guys are sure quick to jump all over a new guy for posting a review. I guess the SMC Terms Of Service should include a rule saying that your first post or two better not contain a product review. :rolleyes: So, what do you guard dogs think would be an appropriate topic for the first few posts? You don't need to explain to me your thought process of how a company guy might want to drum up some business by posting to a WW forum. I get it. But how about cutting the guy some slack until you KNOW that he's a spammer. Wouldn't you feel like an xxx if he's just a new member posting an honest review? Some of you are definitely the, "Shoot first, ask questions later" sort of people. :(

Here, let me show you how it's done...Thanks Ed! I don't have any sort of planning software yet but I have looked at Cutlist. I'll add Cabinet Planner to my list when I'm in the market for that sort of thing. By the way, you wouldn't happen to be affiliated with them in any way would you?...There, I responded politely to his review and I satisfied the conspiracy theorists at the same time. That wasn't so hard now was it?:rolleyes: :)

Bruce

Zahid Naqvi
09-18-2007, 12:04 PM
Just to put in a word from the moderators perspective. If someone says they have no affiliation with a tool/product vendor, you have to take their word for it. To me this is nothing more than a satisfied customer sharing their good experience about a product that might help some other WW'er. There is nothing in the TOS that prohibits such posts, on the contrary I think it is quite helpful. That is how I was introduced to SketchUp.

Danny Thompson
09-18-2007, 12:25 PM
Get a rope.

Bruce Benjamin
09-18-2007, 1:01 PM
Get a rope.

I agree completely. But not for the OP! ;) :D

Bruce

Brian Weick
09-18-2007, 1:05 PM
I use Chief architect 9.5 Professional architectural design /plan software- unbelievable results! plan on spilling out some cash for this ~ but well worth it if you want professional results. Here a just a few quick samples of a Tudor home design and layout.
Brian

Marcus Ward
09-18-2007, 1:12 PM
Sorry, the review was so glowing and the original poster only had one post, it smelled like spam. I jumped to conclusions. I've seen this type of thing before, although admittedly, it's usually a magic pill. Good advice, Bruce - benefit of the doubt.

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-18-2007, 1:37 PM
I use a DOS legacy CAD 3-d engineering package called CadKey. It can render but I have no use for rendering.

I prefer the umpteen decimal places for the math, infinite drawing space, hundreds of manipulable levels, and ability to create grouped exportable component part drawings.

I have tried AutoCad, Pro-E, and solid edge and one other whose name I can't recall.

I keep returning to the one that I know really well. The others have such a steep learning curve it's just not worth the hassle.

David DeCristoforo
09-18-2007, 1:38 PM
"... feels like I am spinning out of control with kitchens coming out of my ears..."

RUN!!! IT'S A TRAP!!! Cabinet Planner or no, you are going to get sucked into being a kitchen cabinet maker. You will keep thinking that "one of these days" you will get back into making furniture but it will never happen. You will build kitchen after kitchen until you want to scream when you hear the word "kitchen". You will come to hate kitchens. You will get so sick of kitchens that you will tear out all of the cabinets in your own kitchen just so you don't have to look at any more kitchen cabinets. How do I know this? Well...just trust me....

Of course, the above advice will only be useful if you survive the lynching...

Ed Peters
09-18-2007, 2:04 PM
like me, a new poster, could get away with pronouncing my enthusiasm over a product that was new to me and filled a need I had. A need I believed others might also have. You may, if you wish, check my website and you will see absolutely no connection to any software products, www.crookedlittletree.com

I'll be more careful next time.

However, I do not apologize for the contents. Sorry for bashing into your club.

Ed

Al Willits
09-18-2007, 2:11 PM
"... feels like I am spinning out of control with kitchens coming out of my ears..."

RUN!!! IT'S A TRAP!!! Cabinet Planner or no, you are going to get sucked into being a kitchen cabinet maker. You will keep thinking that "one of these days" you will get back into making furniture but it will never happen. You will build kitchen after kitchen until you want to scream when you hear the word "kitchen". You will come to hate kitchens. You will get so sick of kitchens that you will tear out all of the cabinets in your own kitchen just so you don't have to look at any more kitchen cabinets. How do I know this? Well...just trust me....

Of course, the above advice will only be useful if you survive the lynching...

I'd settle for building the one kitchen my wife has been mentioning for the last few months.

Oh....the easier the program the better, I don't need it to look like a article out of better homes and garden, just help me design the darn cabinet...:)

Al

ps...Ed don't sweat it, we are adults here (for the most part) and we can decide which program we like, if you say your just telling us about it, fine by me, thanks.

Bruce Benjamin
09-18-2007, 2:23 PM
like me, a new poster, could get away with pronouncing my enthusiasm over a product that was new to me and filled a need I had. A need I believed others might also have. You may, if you wish, check my website and you will see absolutely no connection to any software products, www.crookedlittletree.com (http://www.crookedlittletree.com)

I'll be more careful next time.

However, I do not apologize for the contents. Sorry for bashing into your club.

Ed

Ed, you shouldn't feel too bad, or worse yet, leave. You must be old enough and experienced enough to realize that there are always going to be people that act improperly no matter where you go. You need to ignore them and get on with posting your information.

I've gone after a few spammers before but only after it was obvious. One post doesn't add up to obvious. If someone is a spammer and we let it slide for a while, so what? But if someone is just honestly posting some info with no hidden agenda and he gets attacked it's much worse. Some people are so tough as long as they're behind a keyboard and a monitor.

Bruce

Danny Thompson
09-18-2007, 2:55 PM
Ed,

There is, granted, some level of paranoia, but also a great deal of kidding involved in all of this. Clearly, none of us know you, personally, so please don't take our comments personally . . . unless you really are a faker. Also, realize we have all been contradicted, criticized, and scoffed at one time or another and we have all posted statements we wished we could take back. It's all part of a public and, at some level, impersonal forum such as this. So please stay and feel free to share your experiences with us. . . unless you really are a schill for "the man." If which case, buzz off.

I just use PowerPoint. It is not exact, but neither are my cuts.

Chuck Lenz
09-18-2007, 2:58 PM
Ed, you shouldn't feel too bad, or worse yet, leave. You must be old enough and experienced enough to realize that there are always going to be people that act improperly no matter where you go. You need to just ignore them and get on with posting your information.

I've gone after a few spammers before but only after it was obvious. One post doesn't add up to obvious. If someone is a spammer and we let it slide for a while, so what? But if someone is just honestly posting some info with no hidden agenda and he gets attacked it's much worse. Some people are so tough as long as they're behind a keyboard and a monitor.

Bruce
The king of diplomacy has spoken. ROTFLMAO ! Anyway, I live in North Dakota ( the stone age ) I still use a drafting table and arm. I don't need no cabinet software. But thanks anyway.

Zahid Naqvi
09-18-2007, 3:16 PM
I think every one has made their point by now, no need to repeat what's been said already. Let's stick to the original topic and keep things nice and friendly.

Bruce Page
09-18-2007, 4:35 PM
Thanks Ed. I'll have to check it out.

Mike Spanbauer
09-18-2007, 4:47 PM
Ed, nice beard :) Real Cabinet Makers Wear Kilts... I laughed out loud when I read that...

Looks like Hank may have to step in at some point and keep you from bidding on so many kitchens so you get some rest and work on a few choice pieces of furniture.

Hope you frequent here more often and don't hesitate to recommend or suggest another product which you've had a good experience with. If you survive this hazing I'm certain you'll do okay here :)

mike

Gary Keedwell
09-18-2007, 5:05 PM
The king of diplomacy has spoken. ROTFLMAO ! Anyway, I live in North Dakota ( the stone age ) I still use a drafting table and arm. I don't need no cabinet software. But thanks anyway.
http://www.free-animations.co.uk/messages/miscellaneous/images/message_146.gifGK I'm a pencil and napkin kind of guy.

Don Bullock
09-18-2007, 9:11 PM
Ed, thanks for the information on the program. Please don't think that all of us here think "SPAM" with your type of post, but you have to realize that many of us who have used computers for any length of time get rather "gun shy" when it comes to reviews from anyone, especially a new person.

I'd love to see some pictures of your past work and learn more about how a particular kind (or brand) of software has made your job "easier." If, infact, you do a lot of woodworking please feel free to show off what you do. Many here, especially people like me, need all the inspiration and help we can get.

Bob Feeser
09-18-2007, 9:39 PM
You know what happens when you get too much work, kitchen cabinets or otherwise? Raise your prices.

I know, I know, it's not too much work, it's just too many kitchen cabinets. :p

Marcus Ward
09-18-2007, 10:32 PM
You know what happens when you get too much work, kitchen cabinets or otherwise? Raise your prices.

Ha! It doesn't work. As a photographer I raised wedding prices to 5 grand TO SHOW UP and I got more work. I guess people assume if you're expensive you're awesome. I hate photography now! No cabinets! Except for my wife, she's the boss.

Bob Feeser
09-20-2007, 11:59 PM
Ha! It doesn't work. As a photographer I raised wedding prices to 5 grand TO SHOW UP and I got more work. I guess people assume if you're expensive you're awesome. I hate photography now! No cabinets! Except for my wife, she's the boss.

Marcus,
Point well made, nice problem to have. Marketing books say there are 2 price points that have a marketing advantage. The cheapest price, and the most expensive. People flock to the most expensive price figuring something must be better about it.
Was there any relationship between you getting 5 grand for doing a wedding, instead of a lesser amount that led you to not like photography any more? Fill me in on the cabinets tie in as well.
I know someone who recently paid 30 grand for their kitchen cabinets. If I had 30 grand kitchen cabinet customers lined up, I wouldn't get too tired of it. Especially if they didn't rush you to get them done.

Marcus Ward
09-21-2007, 7:22 AM
Photography was a hobby before it was a career. It's a great hobby but as a job it wasn't as fun so it ruined it. It had nothing to do with the money. Woodworking is a hobby too, I just figure if I start doing it as a job it won't be fun anymore. No amount of money can make your hobby fun again after doing it as a job ruins it. I raised my prices so people would stop asking me to do weddings, I wasn't really a wedding photog. :)

Ed Peters
09-21-2007, 7:49 AM

I know, I know, it's not too much work, it's just too many kitchen cabinets. :p

Bob, I never was the cheapest guy in town. The first thing I tell people when they use that time worn, opening line to the negotiating dialogue "How much would you charge to......." is that I will certainly not be the low bidder. That is the first and most important cut. Just like opening day at spring training, get rid of the lame ducks early.

My second line of defense is that I NEVER negotiate price. I'd rather lose the opportunity to do the work. If you negotiate once, you will certainly do it again. My quoted price reflects what I understand the expectations to be. It is supported by the sketches (now drawings) I have everyone sign off on and the only time it changes is when something is added or subtracted (before signing the contract).

Ed

James Yockey
09-21-2007, 9:24 AM
Thank you, I have been visiting this site for the past year and have gotten the same feeling. The attitudes of some of the guard dogs here have prevented me from getting involved in any of the topics that I have specific professional experience with.