PDA

View Full Version : Table Saw Close Call

Greg Crawford
09-17-2007, 10:35 PM
I’d done it hundreds of times. I’ve done it for years. I’ve never had a problem before, and I’m not talking about freehand cuts on a table saw. Today, however, I got taught a cheap lesson. Cheap because no blood was drawn, just a couple of abrasions and a small bruise.

I had ripped a 4” wide by 6” long piece to 2”, using the fence (that is parallel to the blade) and a push stick. The cut off was now beside the blade, so just as I have always done, I used the push stick to slide the cut off away from the blade so I could safely grab it. This time, I nudged the piece at an angle and the back corner caught the still spinning blade (you have probably already guessed I left the saw on). I should mention that I have been hit by a kick back before, so I stand to the left of the blade to avoid that. Because I was to the left of the blade, I was now in the path of an unexpected oak projectile. Fortunately, it just grazed my left forearm and then hit me in the belt buckle. If not for the belt, I would have a much larger bruise.

I hate the thought of having to turn the saw off and let the blade come to a complete stop every time I need to get a cut off, but a warning like this is enough for me. I’m sure many of you do the same thing, so be very careful doing it, and consider making sure the blade is stopped.

Don Bullock
09-17-2007, 10:40 PM
First of all, I'm glad you're OK. I appreciate people like you who are willing to remind us all about the dangers in the shop. I think that posts like yours help to keep us safer.

...I hate the thought of having to turn the saw off and let the blade come to a complete stop every time I need to get a cut off, but a warning like this is enough for me. I’m sure many of you do the same thing, so be very careful doing it, and consider making sure the blade is stopped.

Craig, I'm now doing just that. I don't do anything or move anything until the blad has stopped. Yes, it wastes time, but my safety is far more important and more valuable than my time.

Jim Becker
09-17-2007, 10:43 PM
"Ouch"...'glad the damage was minimal. And thanks for the reminder about something too many of us likely do and shouldn't...

Jim Kountz
09-17-2007, 10:43 PM
Whoa Greg, glad you weren’t seriously injured, I got in the habit of using the eraser on my pencil to push small cutoffs out of the way until one day the blade "grabbed" my pencil right out of my hand and sucked it down to the black abyss below. Taught me a lesson yessiree!!

glenn bradley
09-17-2007, 10:58 PM
Glad you weren't hurt and your story has reset my "boy I get tired of waiting for that blade to stop" timer. I guess its worth the wait; and I (so far) always do. Same goes for my router table which takes forever to wind down. No adjusting the fence, no moving the featherboards. To myself: "I'll just walk over here and hang up these clamps while that thing gets done spinning".

Rick Christopherson
09-18-2007, 2:52 AM
Given your description, your blade was too low, and that is why the workpiece could catch the teeth. If your blade was properly set, you could have jammed the offcut sideways into the blade and the worst that would happen is it would have drifted backward at a quick pace, but not a full kickback.

Brian Penning
09-18-2007, 4:52 AM
Get a Grripper -it's the best thing for cuts like the one you did.

Dave Dionne
09-18-2007, 12:53 PM
Greg
Thanks for sharing anf glad that you are ok.

Dick Sylvan
09-18-2007, 2:17 PM
FWIW, that's why the Euro saws are required by law to have electric brakes.

John Ricci
09-18-2007, 3:08 PM
Fortunately, it just grazed my left forearm and then hit me in the belt buckle. If not for the belt, I would have a much larger bruise.

It would have made a really lasting impression if you were a bit taller,:eek: filed under "lessons never forgotten".

J.R.

Jerry White
09-18-2007, 3:38 PM
Hey, Greg,

Glad you weren't hurt. Perhaps you have just invented the next new hot cabinet saw accessory.....the Belt Buckle Safety Shield. :D

Jerry

Rod Sheridan
09-18-2007, 4:23 PM
Greg, I'm glad you weren't seriously hurt.

Yes, it's a pain to wait to wait for machinery to coast to a stop, however a coasting machine can remove fingers or cause kickbacks almost as well as a running machine.

I'm curious, did you really attempt to rip a piece of material 6 inches long on a table saw or is that a typographical error? That can cause a really nasty kickback all by itself, I was taught that 12 inches was the absolute minimum for length when ripping.

Regards, Rod.

John McArthur
09-18-2007, 5:03 PM
Greg,

Thanks for the reminder, and glad you're ok. As Rod mentioned, a 6" long piece is probably 6 inches short, but this probably did not contribute to the accident in question. What happened to you with the cutoff turning the wrong way, then catching the back of the blade has happened to me. This got me thinking how useful a splitter is on a tablesaw, which would help prevent other catches at the back of the blade.

I have a splitter that floats with the blade on my Inca saw. It works great and is never in the way. Still, I only rip to final size on my saw. All ripping that has an offcut is done at the bandsaw, these cut slightly oversize. This allows the workpiece to settle and spring as it will. Then a final jointing, and sizing most likely at the tablesaw. This is an extra step, but it makes for straighter wood in many cases.

Greg Crawford
09-18-2007, 10:46 PM
Glad this has been useful to so many. Thanks for the mention of the Gripper, as that would have prevented this. I've never had problems ripping short pieces, but maybe I need to re-think that, too. A nice leather shop apron might be a good idea to help protect the abdomen as well.

Zahid Naqvi
09-18-2007, 11:09 PM
Greg, I don't suppose you had a splitter on your saw did you? I think a splitter would have prevented anything from catching the back of the blade. Which reminds me I need to put mine in :eek: now where's that smiley which shows me smacking my head.

Bill Brehme
09-18-2007, 11:36 PM
Whew, these stories are unsettling... Though its a very valuable reminder! Just last weekend I was ripping a piece of 2'x2' plywood and my buddy was watching me w/ this horror in his eye. I looked down and I was feeding w/ my left hand about 2" from the blade w/o the blade guard! I finished the cut, shut off the saw, and had to stop and take a few deep breaths. WHAT THE HELL WAS I THINKING!!!

I could USE a dose of unsettling.:o Thanks!

Carl Oresick
09-19-2007, 11:02 PM
My Delta contrator saw has the switch to the left and fence to the right of the blade. I do not like standing anywhere behind the piece when ripping and so stay to the right next to the fence. However, to turn the switch off means reaching down across the blade line putting the face in position for a projectile. I usually use my foot to kick the machine off. What is proper technique? Move the swich?

Jude Kingery
09-19-2007, 11:43 PM
Hey Greg, glad you're ok! Those reminders are always important to be careful. One thing that is cool on our band saw is it has a foot break. I mean anything can happen in the blink of an eye, but it doesn't "coast" to a stop - it stops immediately - if you hit the foot brake. Wouldn't prevent a kick back, but can sometimes mitigate pieces flying back you've already cut off. Jude

James Suzda
09-20-2007, 8:12 AM
FWIW, that's why the Euro saws are required by law to have electric brakes.
Are there any saws sold in America that have electric brakes on them?

Eric Thom
09-24-2007, 3:01 AM
I am a Paramedic so I have seen first hand the results of amputations to the hands and the arms. An amputation will change your life permanently. Nobody ever fully recovers from an amputation. Even if the thumb, the fingers, or the arm was sewn back on, it will never be as good as it once was. It will cost thousands of dollars, and you will not see the inside of your workshop for months if not years.

All this because of a little piece of scrap wood? Its NOT WORTH IT.

If it can wait until you turn the saw off, then IT CAN WAIT.

Greg Pavlov
09-24-2007, 9:56 AM
My Delta contrator saw has the switch to the left and fence to the right of the blade. ........ What is proper technique? Move the swich?
Sounds like a second switch would be ideal, one on either side, no? It's something that's gone thru my mind when I've looked at table saws.

Greg Crawford
09-24-2007, 11:09 AM
Zahid,

No splitter. I use my cross cut sled about 50% of the time, so the guard and splitter remain on a shelf. I riving knife would be ideal, and my next TS will have one. I still won't count on it preventing this type of incident, though.

I do use push sticks/blocks and feather boards to keep my hands farther from the blade due to exactly what Eric speaks about. I'm really glad I was using a push stick this time, as that good decision may have prevented a horrible accident from my bad decision.

Thanks All,

Greg