PDA

View Full Version : Box-Building Question

Jerry Solomon
02-01-2004, 12:07 AM
I decided to try my hand at building small boxes. For all of you experienced box-builders out there - what's the best method of clamping 4-sided rectangular or square boxes with mitered corners? I've seen web clamps for sale and in use on some of the TV WW shows but don't currently own one. Comments?

Todd Burch
02-01-2004, 12:44 AM
If I'm in a hurry, pneumatic brads.

If I don't want nails holes, and don't want to hassle with miters sliding all over the place with traditional clamps, I'll use a detail biscuit joiner and biscuit the mitered corners.

If you will be making several of the same sie, you could make a clamping jig - basically, a box or frame that you put your frshly glued box into to hold it in position. Simple wood shims can be used to hold it tight - 1 per side is usually enough.

If, after you glue your mitered corners, you let the glue soak in a get a little tacky, things are so "slidy" and it's a little easier to handle.

Craig Honeysett
02-01-2004, 6:50 AM
I decided to try my hand at building small boxes. For all of you experienced box-builders out there - what's the best method of clamping 4-sided rectangular or square boxes with mitered corners? I've seen web clamps for sale and in use on some of the TV WW shows but don't currently own one. Comments?

I use a web clamp, but also have found laying the pieces flat with masking tape as a hinge helps greatly with mitered corners. Just apply glue and fold them up. works great for dry fit also.

Kevin Gerstenecker
02-01-2004, 8:02 AM
Jerry, I have built a "few" small Decorative Boxes over the years. ;)
I have used several methods for clamping the carcass of my boxes, and the best I have found is the Bessey Multi-Angle Band Clamp. The Bessey Clamp has fixtures that attach to the band that have pivoting feet that will automatically adjust to any angle. The Clamp works great, and it tightens to apply even pressure on all corners. Craigs method works well also, but for drawing the corners really tight for nice miter fits, the band clamp is excellent. Todd's suggestion of mini biscuits works well also, but many times the stock I use is too thin for biscuits. The Bessey clamp takes a little getting used to, but there is nothing like it for boxes that use no mechanical fasteners. I have added a pic of the Clamp I am talking about. Really works great, if you plan on building several boxes over time, it really is a must have, IMO. Good Luck, and I loodk forward to seeing some Pictures! (I REALLY like building little Boxes........just as addictive as Turning!) :D

Mike Cutler
02-01-2004, 10:33 AM
Jerry. I use a set of 90 deg. clamps(4) that I found in a fleamarket/ antique shop. These hold all the pieces in alignment, and then I use the Bessey strap clamps that Kevin mentioned. I use two of them at a time. I'm not really sure you need to use a pair of them for a small box, but I do. I think it gives me more even pressure, or maybe it's just a piece of mind issue for me.

Mark Singer
02-01-2004, 10:39 AM
Tape will work fine. Even saran type wrap. I usually have the bottom sit in a dado which squares it and I use splines near the top on the corners.

Bob Lasley
02-01-2004, 11:26 AM
Jerry,

I prefer to use splines in my small boxes. I cut the grooves on the tablesaw and use 1/8" stock for the splines. I cut the splines so that the grain is running in the same direction as the box sides. With the splines in place, I use Bessey Uniclamps, small version of the K-Body, two in each direction. The splines hold everything in alignment while the clamps provide the pressure.

Note: The box in the picture is a dovetailed one, but I set up the clamps the same way for a mitered one.

Bob

Jerry Solomon
02-01-2004, 12:33 PM
Thanks to all for the advice. I've been experimenting with tape and found that it does a surprisingly good job of keeping the corners together. I made a couple of small "test" boxes to work out assembly techniques. I'll post a photo when (if) I finish anything worthy viewing. Thanks again.