PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide, plz (Unisaw)

Mikheil Karanadze
09-17-2007, 8:11 PM
recently got shop manager position. doing some reorganisation with power tools. our unisaw is real bad, everybody agree with this. even boss!
so he gave me permission and business credit card to buy one. could not decide which one...'can you please help me - thanks in advance!

Chuck Saunders
09-18-2007, 8:26 AM
If it is in the budget, a SawStop.

Rod Sheridan
09-18-2007, 8:54 AM
I second the Saw Stop as #1 choice, second choice would be a General 650..........Rod.

Robert Conner
09-18-2007, 9:08 AM
Why not another Unisaw? How long was the old saw used for?
Did it do everything it was needed for? Did it cause problems? Break down often? Perhaps just a 5hp over a 3hp. Or perhaps a 12"-14" version.
What are you doing with the old Unisaw?
If you are selling it I am interested.
Robert

Brad Townsend
09-18-2007, 9:12 AM
There are lots of good choices for cabinet saws out there. The good news for you is that any of them would serve you well. You could get a Powermatic, Grizzly, General, Steel City, Jet, or another Unisaw. However, if the boss is willing to spend the money, the suggestion of a Sawstop is a good one, especially for a commercial shop. You will pay about twice as much as you would for the others, but when you explain to the boss that no one will lose a finger using it (no workman's comp claims or potential lawsuits) he might think it's a good investment.

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-18-2007, 1:44 PM
Get a Felder and impress your boss with how much money you can spend on one machine. Or better yet a Martin at $50-Gees.

I'd take the time to consider what he is most probably thinking he wants. Then get that. Try not to step out of his comfort zone unless you plan on having a discussion with him about it.

If the shop has had a cabinet Unisaw and people think in terms of Unisaw - - - I'd not brake the mold too badly.

David DeCristoforo
09-18-2007, 1:50 PM
As far as quality goes, Unisaw, General, SawStop are pretty much in the same class. But the SawStop does have that one feature none of the others have. If you have the extra dough, you would be wise to take advantage of it.

Brian Clevenger
09-18-2007, 2:29 PM
I'm thinking the Powermatic 2000.

Greg Crawford
09-18-2007, 10:52 PM
If the Sawstop prevents one injury, your bosses insurance not going up would probably pay for the saw.