PDA

View Full Version : Smoke Free One Month

Howard Rosenberg
01-31-2004, 11:40 PM
Hi all -

Thought I'd weigh in.
It's been one month and I'm smoke-free.

Still amazed I've been able to do this cold-turkey.
Still feel lousy though.
That part hasn't changed.
Cranky. Irritable. Miserable.

But I sure can breathe deeper....

Oh well, the benefits will catch up to each other soon enough, I suppose.

Thank you for all your support.
Howard

Jim Becker
01-31-2004, 11:44 PM
That's wonderful news, Howard. There are a lot of folks who are pulling for you, too. Smoke free is a good thing.

Kelly C. Hanna
02-01-2004, 12:03 AM
My wife and I quit in 2000 and haven't had one since. Lost my mother to cancer that year so it was easy to let go a bad habit. Congrats to you and don't look back!

Ron Jones near Indy
02-01-2004, 12:03 AM
Good for you, Howard! Glad to here it. Hang in there!

Lloyd Robins
02-01-2004, 12:19 AM
Congratulations! It will be worthwhile!

Ted Harris
02-01-2004, 12:27 AM
Hi all -

Thought I'd weigh in.
It's been one month and I'm smoke-free.

Still amazed I've been able to do this cold-turkey.
Still feel lousy though.
That part hasn't changed.
Cranky. Irritable. Miserable.

But I sure can breathe deeper....

Oh well, the benefits will catch up to each other soon enough, I suppose.

Thank you for all your support.
Howard
Cold turkey is the ONLY way! Great to hear your doing so well! Be patient, you will satart feeling better soon enough, and good luck!

David Rose
02-01-2004, 2:08 AM
Howard, when I was visiting with my doctor the other day, he said I needed to quit the habit soon. My wife chimed in that I need help. Bless her heart. :( The doc said that once I decide firmly to quit, the helps are not much help. He said there is only one way to really quit and that is cold turkey. I suspected that as I've tried two timers, the patch and gum. They helped me slow down a little but were a long way from helping me totally stop. Hang in there. I think you are going the right path. I need to follow your example one day soon.

David

Kelly C. Hanna
02-01-2004, 7:23 AM
Howard, when I was visiting with my doctor the other day, he said I needed to quit the habit soon. My wife chimed in that I need help. Bless her heart. :( The doc said that once I decide firmly to quit, the helps are not much help. He said there is only one way to really quit and that is cold turkey. I suspected that as I've tried two timers, the patch and gum. They helped me slow down a little but were a long way from helping me totally stop. Hang in there. I think you are going the right path. I need to follow your example one day soon.

David

For those who have not yet quit. The patch and the gum are nicotine based and only transfer the dependance on nicotine to the other method. Once you quit the gum and/or patch, you will go back to cigarettes more rapidly than with cold turkey or the One Step method. This is what we both used. The One Step is a four pack of filters that remove the nicotine 25%, 50%, 75%, then 90%. Neither one of us made it to the fourth filter and quit after the third week and filter. Since it reduces the agent that creates the addiction gradually, it works like a charm.

We got them at Eckerd's....I think the whole pack cost $18...$36 for both of us to quit.

Tony Falotico
02-01-2004, 7:47 AM
Way to go Howard , I'm happy for you and Proud of you.

Cranky. Irritable. Miserable...........But I sure can breathe deeper....Oh well, the benefits will catch up to each other soon enough, I suppose.

When you are Cranky. Irritable. Miserable ............ just think about all the new tools you can buy with the X-cig budget!

Kevin Gerstenecker
02-01-2004, 8:13 AM
Howard, that is great news! I was just wondering about how things were going the other day with you. One Month is quite a milestone, and you should be very proud that you are well on your way to a smoke free life. It really is nice to be able to get up in the morning and REALLY breath, isn't? Spring is right around the corner, and those wonderful Spring "Smells" will be in the air...............and you will be able to enjoy them to the fullest. Great job, you should be very proud, as we are of you! It is a day by day process, but trust me, the hard part is over. CONGRATULATIONS! A job being very well done! :)

Ace Karner
02-01-2004, 8:58 AM
I gets easier and easie, I quit a four pack a day habit cold turkey in 1990, took a couple of months but I'm so glad I did, not sure I would be alive today and for sure I wouldn't feel as good as I do.

Stick with it, you'll never regret having quit, believe me you'll always look back on this year as one of the more important ones in your life.

Good luck and good health

ace

Ron McNeil
02-01-2004, 9:08 AM
Congratulations! Howard, What an accomplishment! One whole month. It's hard to stop but you have proven that you have what it takes. Keep up the good work. You Can Do this.

Todd Burch
02-01-2004, 1:44 PM
Howard - That's GREAT!! I've been thinking about you in your goal to quit.

But, I had another thought about this, and your being cranky, irritable and miserable. Maybe, just maybe, you were that way BEFORE you started smoking, and you just forgot? No? Well, it was just a thought!

Keep it up! Todd.

Von Bickley
02-01-2004, 4:23 PM
Howard,

Cold Turkey is the only way. If it was easy, more people would quit.
Hang in there....... It will get better.

Ken Garlock
02-01-2004, 5:35 PM
I went cold turkey back in March of 1968. I think I ate a lifetimes worth of Corn Nuts the first two weeks. :eek:

After the first month, the first 3 months are the hardest, then the first 6 months. You will know you are off the habit when you stop wanting a weed after a meal. That takes a while, but it will happen. Then when cig smoke starts to smell bad to you, you know you are over the hill.

Hang in there, we're pulling for you. :)

Dennis Peacock
02-01-2004, 10:54 PM
Way to go Howard..!!!!!!

Pulling for ya man....and hope strength and will power will overcome for ya.

Rob Littleton
02-02-2004, 11:23 AM
C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S .....................

Hang in there bud. We are praying for you and thinking of you.

In my previous off topic post, my wife came out the shop the other morning and asked me about you. She dont even woodwork but I share about theis forum to her.

You are doing great man.

I quite a different addiction a year back and I am loving life.

SWMBO showed me the credit card bill for the past month and Rockler and Woodcraft must love me but at least I am healthy and will be around to use the things I have purchased.

Hang in there. The devil will tempt you........defeat him....

Proud of you man

Tom Sweeney
02-02-2004, 2:02 PM
I was hoping you'd jump in with a good report. God Bless You - you are gonna make it! Cold Turkey is the way I did it about 23 years ago - I was only 19 or 20 but it was a 3 pack a day habit that I started when I was about 13 & I've never looked back. Trust me - it does get easier over time - & then you just don't even think about it anymore.

KEEP ON KEEPIN ON!

Mark Rios
02-08-2004, 10:02 AM
As an EMT I am overjoyed anytime someone has or finds the will to quit. We deal with tooooo many people that could be okay if they would only do what you are doing. It is one of the hardest things to do though and you are deserving of the support and praise that everyone has for you.

Keep it up, one day at a time.