PDA

View Full Version : Two simple little quick projects

Fred Voorhees
09-17-2007, 6:50 PM
To thank the neighbors for watching our cats while we are occasionally away, I just finished up these two little projects. The end table sort of thingy is for the woman next door while the lap desk, which is derived from a Norm Abram project, is for the daughter who is in high school and heading towards college in a few years.

The end table was thrown together using left over hardwood oak ply from another recent project and there was actually a small amount of hardwook oak (just the face frame, the top and the drawer face. At one point, she didn't think she was going to be able to use it. She misunderstood it's size until she actually saw it. Well, when she said that she couldn't use it, I decided to try a few new techniques that I hadn't had the occasion to try in the past. I have inlaid differing woods in the past, but only by using the the dado blade on my tablesaw. I decided to use this project to do it with my hand held router. The results are below. I also have been wanting to wrap a drawer front with contrasting beading and that is also evidenced below. It was only AFTER I decided to do these additional techniques on the project, that she decided that she wanted it. Well, I guess it will be more impressive now in her living room.

The Lap Desk is a copy of the form that his Normness has built on his NYW show. I hadn't done many projects where I have stained red oak. I usually like it finished naturally. I decided to stain this one and it really makes the grain stand out. It's been quite a long time since I had used a polyurethane finish on a project also and I went with that on both of these.

Well, as I said, two very simple projects, but I really wanted to thank the neighbors for their help over the years.

Grant Davis
09-17-2007, 7:38 PM
Fred, nice projects. I really like the lap desk project. I may have to borrow that idea for my daughters.

Rich Torino
09-18-2007, 8:00 PM
Great projects... I really like the lap top desk... nice work

Jim Becker
09-18-2007, 9:53 PM
I love it when you create "thingies", Fred!!!! And nice ones at that...as always. Great job!